Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

How to remove cooler on msi p55-cd53

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
October 5, 2009 8:10:51 AM

will oc my msi p55 have new cooler but how do I get the standerd cooler off
a b V Motherboard
October 5, 2009 8:22:18 AM

Generally, you disconnect any mounting hardware and pull it off. It's not un-common for the CPU to come out stuck to the heatsink. If so, be very careful not to damage the pins exposed!

Just slip fingernail between top of cpu and base of the heatsink and the old thermal paste should release. Avoid using any sharp or metal objects on the cpu.
October 5, 2009 8:42:21 AM

owner_08 said:
will oc my msi p55 have new cooler but how do I get the standerd cooler off

thats the problem I cant see the clip to releash the cpu think it is hidden under the cooler
Related resources
October 5, 2009 8:52:44 AM

Mongox said:
Generally, you disconnect any mounting hardware and pull it off. It's not un-common for the CPU to come out stuck to the heatsink. If so, be very careful not to damage the pins exposed!

Just slip fingernail between top of cpu and base of the heatsink and the old thermal paste should release. Avoid using any sharp or metal objects on the cpu.

thats the problem cant see the clip to take cpu out think it hidden under the old cooler as yo said normal the cpu comes off with heatsink but I cant see how to get at the clip for cpu
a b V Motherboard
October 5, 2009 1:44:06 PM

Download your manual and look at the instructions for installing the stock heatsink/fan.
http://download2.msi.com/files/downloads/mnu_exe/E7586v...

Remove the motherboard from the case.

Pgs 2-5, 2-6
There appear to be 4 plastic pins that push down into the board, coming out the other side. And a center post within the pin that locks them open and in place. Looks like you need to pull out the locking pin, then squeeze the pin together from the underside of board and push out of hole. Repeat for each pin.
October 5, 2009 8:17:11 PM

Mongox said:
Download your manual and look at the instructions for installing the stock heatsink/fan.
http://download2.msi.com/files/downloads/mnu_exe/E7586v...

Remove the motherboard from the case.

Pgs 2-5, 2-6
There appear to be 4 plastic pins that push down into the board, coming out the other side. And a center post within the pin that locks them open and in place. Looks like you need to pull out the locking pin, then squeeze the pin together from the underside of board and push out of hole. Repeat for each pin.


hi I have undone the 4 plastic pins they seem lose but I think the problem is the paste between the heat sink and the cpu had this problem before with a diff board I unlocked the cpu and pulled out with the heatsink and cpu together then got my nail and free it but here I cant get at the clip to unlock the cpu
a b V Motherboard
October 5, 2009 11:49:34 PM

I'd try something plastic and flexible... perhaps a plastic knife, work the end between or wedge and lift. Cocktail olive toothpick, ya know, the little swords, might work. (I'm looking around room, trying to think of things...) Ah, those plastic dental floss thingies with flat toothpicks on other end - perfect!
October 6, 2009 3:52:46 AM

Mongox said:
I'd try something plastic and flexible... perhaps a plastic knife, work the end between or wedge and lift. Cocktail olive toothpick, ya know, the little swords, might work. (I'm looking around room, trying to think of things...) Ah, those plastic dental floss thingies with flat toothpicks on other end - perfect!


good idea will give it a try thanks for your help will let you know how I get on bye for now
October 6, 2009 12:18:03 PM

got it off with a small bit of a plastic knife filed sharp thanks for your input bye
!