How to remove cooler on msi p55-cd53

Mongox

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
Generally, you disconnect any mounting hardware and pull it off. It's not un-common for the CPU to come out stuck to the heatsink. If so, be very careful not to damage the pins exposed!

Just slip fingernail between top of cpu and base of the heatsink and the old thermal paste should release. Avoid using any sharp or metal objects on the cpu.

owner_08

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009

thats the problem I cant see the clip to releash the cpu think it is hidden under the cooler

owner_08

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009

thats the problem cant see the clip to take cpu out think it hidden under the old cooler as yo said normal the cpu comes off with heatsink but I cant see how to get at the clip for cpu

Mongox

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
Download your manual and look at the instructions for installing the stock heatsink/fan.
http://download2.msi.com/files/downloads/mnu_exe/E7586v1.0.zip

Remove the motherboard from the case.

Pgs 2-5, 2-6
There appear to be 4 plastic pins that push down into the board, coming out the other side. And a center post within the pin that locks them open and in place. Looks like you need to pull out the locking pin, then squeeze the pin together from the underside of board and push out of hole. Repeat for each pin.

owner_08

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009

hi I have undone the 4 plastic pins they seem lose but I think the problem is the paste between the heat sink and the cpu had this problem before with a diff board I unlocked the cpu and pulled out with the heatsink and cpu together then got my nail and free it but here I cant get at the clip to unlock the cpu

Mongox

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
I'd try something plastic and flexible... perhaps a plastic knife, work the end between or wedge and lift. Cocktail olive toothpick, ya know, the little swords, might work. (I'm looking around room, trying to think of things...) Ah, those plastic dental floss thingies with flat toothpicks on other end - perfect!

owner_08

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009

good idea will give it a try thanks for your help will let you know how I get on bye for now