Recommended card for my cpu: 350W

mbm

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
i know this may seem like a very easy question to some of you, but not to me (i'm not very tech savvy). the footage from my Sony HD EX1(1080P HQ) Camera looks like crap on my computer's LCD monitor. is doesn't matter if i'm viewing it in the Sony Clip Browser or in Adobe Premiere Pro. it just looks awful. why is this? here's my computer specs if it helps decipher or explain the reasoning:

Dell Inspiron 530 Intel Core2 Quad processor Q6600 @ 2.4 Ghz 8mb cache
3GB DDR2 SDRAM at 800Mhz
128MB ATI Radeon HD 2400 Pro PCI Express x16
22" Flat Panel 1680x1050 (i know its smaller then 1080P, but 720P footage looks bad too)

ok, i'm pretty sure its the video card. can someone recommend a video card can handle playing 1920x1080 video and make it look like its actually HD? i also work with Adobe CS3, soon to upgrade to CS4. i hear the memory is important, ie: 512MB. i think the interface is key as well, ie: PCI Express x16 or x16 2.0.

I only have 350W of power supply.

thanks in advance.

Solution
I suggest you try to isolate the problem before starting to replace things like video card or monitor. It would be a shame to replace one or both and learn the problem does not improve. Might even (although less likely) be a problem with that particular camera and how it interfaces with your particular other system components or with the monitor cable.

What kind of monitor do you have now? Does it look ok for still photographs - meet your needs visually? What about if you run DVD movies? Can you get another monitor to plug in and see if it changes anything? If considering a monitor change when picture quality is important, you need to understand the difference in quality for different flat panel types - as different panels make a...
Overall, I don't think it's a graphics card issue. Even a crappy 6 year old Nvidia FX5500 graphics card would be able to handle pictures from your camera. Although the HD2400 is crappy for gaming (similar to the 8400GS)...I believe it has some sort of video acceleration that can run blue ray movies, so it should be more than enough to handle camera pics.

Anyways, that's just my opinion. If you're gonna upgrade:

1. We require more details on your power supply.
How many watts on 12v rails?

2. What is your budget?

mbm

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
ok, just to clarify its a HD Sony Camcorder not a stills camera in case there was any confusion.

1. how do i find out that info?

2. whatever it takes.

thanks again.

AKM880

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2009
The HD 2400 should be sufficient for you 1080p video. Your specifications are already far more than needed for HD video like your CPU, RAM etc. If you wanted to try another video card you could I'll list a few. But I really don't think its related to the GPU. Have you tried hooking it up to like a HDTV if you have one? Or what if its the camera? These video cards should be enough for the job. They all have DXVA. ( DirectX Video Acceleration). Also you might want to try a program called Media Player Classic - Home Cinema which offers support for cards with DXVA. It might be able to play your movies clearer, it actually looks better than Quicktime for .MOV files, lol.

Asus HD 4350 HDMI 512MB - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121310

Sapphire 512MB HD 3450 PCI-e x16 (It even has HDMI out for HD content) - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102821

Sapphire 512MB HD 3650 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102726

mbm

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
its not the camera. the footage from this camera looks amazing on Apple Cinema Displays. AKM880, you're the second person who's stated that the GPU is sufficient. I'm currently in the market for a new monitor as well.

Any recommendations for an affordable(less than $800 USA) 1920x1080 or higher monitor???

hundredislandsboy

Distinguished
I agree that it's not your GPU. How does other HD files play on it under Media Player? If it's just your Sony footage that's not working then you'll probably have to tweak your viewers, like a check bow or slider for hardware accelaration.

mbm

Distinguished
May 8, 2009

I have no idea how to check for that. remember, i'm not that tech savvy. kind of a Newbie.

AKM880, i won't be gaming at all. strictly for viewing/editing HD footage and working in Adobe CS3, soon CS4. monitor size: hopefully between 22"-24".

Somebody recommended this Dell model from another forum. He said the high-end Dells were internally the same as Apple Cinema Displays.
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Displays/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=320-7976

another guy from Canada really likes this one. Never heard of the company though.
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3326540&csid=ITD&body=MAIN#detailspecs

thanks guys or gals.

mbm

Distinguished
May 8, 2009

thanks for the recommendations. what do you think of Nvidia cards? here's a great site that recommends Geforce cards based on your power supply, budget, and user needs.

http://www.nvidia.com/HelpMeChoose/fx/HelpMeChoose.asp

move the slider over to 350W and let me know what you think. the 8600 GTS looks impressive, well the numbers/stats are bigger than the others, but once again i'm not very tech savvy.

AKM880

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2009
I like NVIDIA, and ATI. I have a GeForce 8400GS, and a HD3650. To be honest the HD3650 out performs in DXVA. The 8400GS is abit older and can accelerate WMV HD, while the HD3650 can't. Have you tried PowerDVD 9? They have the check box for DXVA. Give that a shot before you buy another GPU.

rockyjohn

Distinguished
I suggest you try to isolate the problem before starting to replace things like video card or monitor. It would be a shame to replace one or both and learn the problem does not improve. Might even (although less likely) be a problem with that particular camera and how it interfaces with your particular other system components or with the monitor cable.

What kind of monitor do you have now? Does it look ok for still photographs - meet your needs visually? What about if you run DVD movies? Can you get another monitor to plug in and see if it changes anything? If considering a monitor change when picture quality is important, you need to understand the difference in quality for different flat panel types - as different panels make a huge difference in both quality and price. If so, go to wikepedia or find a good link that explains how to purchase a monitor that should explain the differences.

Can you get another video card to put in system to see if it makes any difference?

Solution

mbm

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
rockyjohn, that's great advice. i'm going to test out a different monitor. maybe a Apple Cinema Display or a HP LP2475w. my current monitor is a Dell 22" E228WFP.

thanks.

mbm

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
yeah, i just downloaded Power DVD9, but that's not my problem. i've having resolutions troubles when viewing/editing footage shot with my camera.