Big PSUs and ATI Crossfire

jcknouse

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
I noticed that Silverstone has a 1500W PSU, as well as Tagan/ABS and others.

When I build my new gaming rig toward the end of the year, I was thinking about going with 4 single core Crossfire video cards since it seems you can get a much better deal price-wise on 4x4870 vs 2x 4870x2.

So, my questions are this:

1) Does anyone know if the new 5xxx ATI cards will be more power efficient and be able to be quad-fired on a huge PSU like the ones mentioned above?
2) Does anyone know a good site that focuses on PSU reviews?

I really want to make a beast system with the next box, and I haven't seen any reviews of the next ATI series of cards or a site that covers PSUs a lot.

Thanks for any help you guys can provide.

Competent technical reviews (i.e. with load testing, waveform analysis, etc) of PSUs can be found at www.jonnyguru.com, www.hardocp.com, www.hardwaresecrets.com, and www.xbitlabs.com. I'm sure there are others.

jcknouse

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
Thanks you guys!

I am reading hardOCP right now, and I love their critical analysis and tough testing.

Makes me feel safe with their analysis, especially since they test in 40-50C environments...and the internal temp in my case never gets over 31C.

That really rocks. I appreciate you guys getting me that feedback. That Tagan/ABS supply (BZ1300) I looked at and thought about...not anymore.