Help choosing a card

hello, i need a new desktop, on a fairly tight budget. i've got most of it sorted out, but graphics cards really confuse me. i really can't tell which cards are better than others, as i see it it depends on the series, memory and gddr2/3/5 or something like that?

these are some of the cards i've been looking at:

XFX GeForce 9600 GSO 1.5GB DDR2 Far Cry 2 Edition HDTV/DVI (PCI-Express)

OcUK GeForce 9600 GT 1024MB DDR2 TV-Out/DVI (PCI-Express)

XFX 9500GT 1GB DDR2 VGA DVI HDCP HDTV out PCI-E Graphics Card

Sapphire HD 4670 512MB DDR3 Dual DVI HDTV Out PCI-E Graphics Card

these are all roughly the same price (although the xfx 9600 GSO is a little more), and i really can't tell which is the best, can anyone help me here? (if there is a better card i haven't mentioned in the same price range, please point it out)

the desktop it's going in is a fairly basic system, AMD athlon 64 X2 5000+ processor, 2gb ram (may upgrade this), 22" screen

this is mostly going to be used for not too demanding games, primarily world of warcraft, but i'd like to be able to play other games like Oblivion and Warhammer Age of Reckoning too.
9 answers Last reply
More about help choosing card
  1. What are the specs for your power supply?
  2. 300W, will i need to upgrade this?
  3. We need to know the output on the +12v line not the Wattage. This is because the card will draw its power from this output.
    Best of the bunch is the HD4670, the others have slower GDDR2 memory which will, well, slow them down.
  4. i'm not building the computer from scratch, i'm buying a basic PC (Compaq SR58722UK) and adding a graphics card and maybe ram. i can't find the exact specifications of the Power supply on the PC manufacturer's page, but after rooting around in the downloadable manuals i found this:

"The system is designed to provide two amps (average) of
    +5 Vv power for each board/card in the computer. The total +5 Vv current
    draw in a fully loaded system (one with all add-in card slots filled) must not
    exceed the total number of slots multiplied by two amps."

but i don't think that's what you were looking for is it?

i can email the manufacturer and see if they can give me more information if necessary.

the 4670 has less memory than the others, does that not make a difference? : /
  5. i checked out the manufacturer's websites for some of those cards, and they all say they require a 400-450W PSU, so i guess i'll have to upgrade the PSU anyway.

the 4670 has 2x DVI outputs, but the monitor i was planning to get has 'D-SUB' input. is there an adapter i can use to use the monitor with this graphics card, or should i get a different monitor?

also, is it worth getting a 1gb version of the 4670? it's only slightly more expensive.
  6. If you get the 4670 it probably won't need a new PSU, but we need to know the 12V Rail not the 5V.
  7. I have this and I love it: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161252

The best 4670 available IMO.
  8. I agree, I love HIS ATi cards. Especially that awesome cooler design.
  9. @ azm: Most cards come with an adaptor although some do come with that smaller D-SUB connector.
    Do not bother getting a 1GB card unless there is no price difference, a HD4670 is just not fast enough to use the extra memory which is only really needed above 16x12 resoloution.
    It might be better to drop a good 400W unit in, the Egg has some excellent units going cheap from Corsair, Pc Power and Cooling Seasonic, Coolermaster and OCZ.
    Search by price and click on the 25-50 dollar price band.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards PCI Express Graphics Product