Sign in with
Your question

1090t w/ Prime95 - Temperature Q.

Last response: in Overclocking
January 13, 2011 9:45:50 PM

Hey everyone.

This is a very general question. I recently built a new PC, got the OC up to 4.0 Ghz on a 1090t w/ a Crossfire IV Formula. I'm running a 5870 Videocard, and Corsair 40g SSD & 8 gigs of XMS3 DDR3 ram.....

My question is pretty simple, My overclock seems very stable, and I didn't need to increase the voltage much at all. I'm at work right now so I don't have the exact numbers, but I just increased the multiplier to 20, left the bus speed @ 200, and set my ram at 1600, and my voltage is 1.37 or something around there (under 1.4 which I was impressed w/).

When I run Prime 95, I don't get any errors, but my temperature does start creeping up. It starts at 14.5c and within 5 min it's up to 40, then it creeps up 1C every min or so. I stop it around 57C. This is running the TOP CHOICE on Prime 95, not blend (it appears to be the most taxing one). On Blend, it doesn't go into the 50's.

My question, should I be concerned about the temperature while running Prime, or should I just leave it as is. I'm cooling on air, with a mid range heatsink. It's the Cooler Master Gemini II S, which is decent.

In real world applications, I doubt the temp will ever go into the 50's, I guess my concern is should the CPU ever get that hot if it's OC'd properly, or will any OC'd pc get into high temps if taxed enough?

Hope all of that makes sense.

a b À AMD
a b K Overclocking
January 13, 2011 10:25:09 PM

Temp is fine as long as the room is not likely to get 5Cish hotter.
January 13, 2011 10:28:35 PM

That wasn't really what I was asking. I stopped the test before it could heat up further. What I want to know is if the computer is stable, and if it doesn't get hot in normal day to day stuff, should I be concerned that my prime temps may go into the too hot range, or, should do most computers get too hot in the most stressful prime test
Related resources
a b À AMD
a c 239 K Overclocking
January 14, 2011 12:38:28 AM

u must finish your test stress, yeach temperature hot can make damage your CPU, go down overclock and finish test
if u worry about temperature get new cooler like: Noctua/Tuniq/SilverArrow/Spire Thermax..
January 14, 2011 12:40:59 AM

successfuljack187 said:
That wasn't really what I was asking. I stopped the test before it could heat up further. What I want to know is if the computer is stable, and if it doesn't get hot in normal day to day stuff, should I be concerned that my prime temps may go into the too hot range, or, should do most computers get too hot in the most stressful prime test

If you don't regularly max out all 6 cores then those temps are nothing to worry about. Prime95 is designed to get it as hot as possible, so unless you are running heavily threading video rendering software or 3d rendering software 24/7, its nothing to worry about. I have a 1075t @4GHz right now, and running Prime it is about 55c which is about recommended for 24/7 use if you are overclocking. The max recommend temperature from AMD is 60c, so anything around their is fine for short periods of time. So in answer to your question, yes that is normal for Thuban CPU at that speed. If your not not comfortable with those temps, then either downclock your CPU or get a better cooler.
!