roadkillfever

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2009
Hey guys,

New to building pc's....just build up my first one yesterday.
However when I came to turn it on...the mobo speaker beeped continuously, which I believe indicates a power/system board error.

So I took it apart again, and started using this method to try and find the source of the problem.

Had The CPU and Heatsink on the mobo only...and no beeps, so it's a problem with one of them.

So my question is, how would I go about finding which component is causing the problem?

Before anyone says it as well...I've gone through the checklist and I used an anti-static wrist band throughout building.

Compnents I used are:-

CPU = i7 920
MOBO = Gigabyte Ga-EX58-UD4P
PSU = Silverstone SST-ST75ZF
Heatsink = Xigmatek Dark knight (had to buy a new bracket for it though, because i bought the 775 socket version instead of 1366 by mistake :fou:

Thanks in advance :)

If you've covered the basic troubleshooting steps about the only way to pinpoint the problem part is to use known good parts for testing.

Xigmatek Dark Knight didn't have the 1366 bracket included? It's website shows it should have been there in the accessory pack. And the Users Manual shows both the 775 and 1366 back plates. Xigmatek Dark Knight

roadkillfever

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2009
Ahh that's where I went wrong XD

I searched for ''xigmatek dark knight s1283v'', and the only place I could find to buy it in the UK was here...which was handy, seeming as i bought a number of other items there.

But when it came, I found out it's actually the ''Xigmatek Dark Knight S1283'' - without the v, which doesnt contain the 1366 compatability. Stupid mistake to make, but never mind - only cost me an extra £10

As for testing the parts...I'll have to beg my parents to lend me their computer for a bit, seeming as my old pc blew up when my sister decided it needed a drink :lol:

Cheers for the help (y)