Sign in with
Your question

Is this a bad motherboard?

Last response: in Motherboards
October 5, 2009 2:20:36 PM

I've got a computer that was working fine for about a month and then it started going to bsod and eventually it wouldn't post bios. I figured it might be bad ram so I took out a stick and it worked fine. Strange thing is it worked with both sticks as long as they were by themselves and not together. Then i borrowed a friends memory and it worked fine. After trying other kinds of ram and having the machine work fine I shut the computer down and when I tried to restart it I got a bios error telling me to check my voltages. When i looked in the system monitor in bios all the psu voltages were high (12v was @ like 16v) and it said the mobo was (-) 128 C. I tried to flash bios but that didn't solve anything. Could it be anything besides a bad motherboard?

computer specs are
intel e8400
asus p5n-d
nvidia geforce gtx 275
thermaltake either 600W or 650W (can't remember model)

hard drive and memory don't matter because ive tried going into bios with out either and it still has the same problem.

More about : bad motherboard

a b V Motherboard
October 5, 2009 3:30:25 PM

I would start by going into BIOS and choosing Optimal Defaults or similar to reset BIOS to clear any odd settings.

If the PSU is really putting out high voltage such as 16V on the 12V line, I'd think the PSU is bad, not the motherboard - although it could be by now also. Anything could be fried, including RAM and CPU if voltages are +33% on all lines.

I'd double-check the voltages with CPUz from www.cpuid.com - if showing such high numbers, quit running computer. Try another PSU.
October 5, 2009 5:26:32 PM

ive reset bios. if the psu was bad why would bios say mobo is (-) 128 C? I cant run cpu-z because the computer does not boot. it always gives me the bios error and tells me to check system monitor. thanks for the suggestions tho. toms forums seem to have less traffic than normal
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
October 5, 2009 6:08:45 PM

The BIOS says a sensor is at -128C because either it's 1) not connected in your motherboard 2) the PSU being so overvoltage is throwing it off 3) it's been damaged by the PSU already 4) working perfectly and your motherboard is approaching absolute zero.

The slow degeneration of your system points to a failing PSU.

Again, swap out the PSU. You have very good evidence that it's not working and it's an easy fix to find out.

Or just assume its the motherboard, buy a new one and install it with that PSU. Maybe it'll work for another month.
October 5, 2009 7:36:54 PM

k thanks for explaining further
!