Sign in with
Your question

Ok just ordered my first SDD, now what tips u recommend?

Last response: in Storage
November 24, 2010 10:54:00 PM

I will be using Windows 7.

What should be disabled, deleted, etc for enhanced performance and less wasted space.
November 25, 2010 4:08:34 AM

what other programs do you think you will be installing on it? do you IE a lot? how much ram do you have... assuming you have a desktop that you are installing your SSD on?
November 25, 2010 4:16:19 AM

Go out and get slizzered baby, like a g6.
Related resources
November 25, 2010 4:17:42 AM

^^^ no time to get slizzered..... SSD load time is to fast.... ahaha
a b $ Windows 7
a c 154 G Storage
November 25, 2010 4:22:57 AM

1) Set the sata mode in the bios to AHCI(not IDE or RAID). That will enable windows 7 drivers that pass on the trim command. It is not easily changed without a reinstall.

2) Don't try to micromanage the SSD content. It is not worth it. Just keep track of the remaining available space and clean things up when it gets too full.

3) The OS should take about 13gb without any space management at all.
November 25, 2010 4:23:34 AM

If you have a decent amount of RAM (like 6GB and above, but you may be able to get away with 4GB), disable your paging file, or make sure that it is moved onto a different drive, you don't want to write too often to the SSD, more than is necessary at least. Also, don't defrag the SSD, it is completely unnecessary and will lower its lifetime by using up read/write cycles. Any other information depends on your planned uses for it.
a b $ Windows 7
a c 154 G Storage
November 25, 2010 4:34:24 AM

GenericUser said:
If you have a decent amount of RAM (like 6GB and above, but you may be able to get away with 4GB), disable your paging file, or make sure that it is moved onto a different drive, you don't want to write too often to the SSD, more than is necessary at least. Also, don't defrag the SSD, it is completely unnecessary and will lower its lifetime by using up read/write cycles. Any other information depends on your planned uses for it.

Opinions will vary; I like simplicity.

1) I don't like disabling the page file. It is there for a reason. If it is needed, it is better to get a quick read/write to the SSD and not have an application fail.

2) The SSD is very good with small reads and writes. Use it.

3) Agree with no user defrag. But Windows-7 will detect that the device is a SSD and not defrag it.

4) The lifetime of current MLC SSD's is limited, but normal desktop activity will not put a dent in that lifetime. If you reach the limit, no data is lost, you just can't write any more. I wonder if you will get some sort of a warning??
November 25, 2010 10:33:04 AM

I recommend that you do some research on your own like everyone else.

There is a link on the very top of the page that has some good articles on your specific post.
!