Phenom TLB - Whats the issue?

CooLWoLF

Distinguished
So I was reading up on the TLB issue with the original Phenoms (includes the one I use, 9600) and I read both sides of the issue. Some websites/reviews made the TLB problem out to be the apocalypse for the CPU. Others, say its blown way out of proportion and that most consumers would never even experience the TLB error. So I set out to try running my Phenom with the fix OFF and see whats happens......

No errors/system hangs at all since shutting the fix off last week.

What was all the hooplah about? Opinions? From what I gather, its only in rare occasions it could happen. Anyone here actually experience a system hang from the TLB bug?

Basically when the cache becomes really busy it can lock up thus causing everything to come to a stand still. The fix is to disable the translation look aside buffer in the level three cache which greatly slows things down. It's very rare though and unless you're using it as a webserver 24/7 I'd turn off the TLB bug fix.

CooLWoLF

Distinguished
Yeah, its turned it off now, and this computer is on 24/7. I have had no issues at all with system hangs. Its been off for a week now.

I just want to know if anyone has actually experienced the issue themselves. Was the TLB bug issue overblown..... My own experience is leading me to believe it was. And I do not do light use with this computer. I do video edits (converting, etc.) gaming, surfing, etc.

xaira

Distinguished
when they say rear, they mean very rare, for example, it might be that the system is using 3 virtual machines, encoding h264 and and converting text to mp3, the fact is that it can happen and the manufacturer will save himself alot of lawsuits if he admits it in the beginning

CooLWoLF

Distinguished

That puts it in good perspective. If this is the case, I think AMD did a poor job of letting consumers know how rare it is. Like I said, some reviews I read made it seem like the end of the world would happen because of the bug.