Watercooling setup

daxyco

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010
Hi, I'm trying to think of a nice watercooling setup. Going to spend about 300 euros, 350 at the most. Here's my setup

MSI 790FX-GD70
AMD Phenom II 1090t
ASUS GTX470
Mushkin DDR3 Frostbyte 4GB
Corsair HX850
Asus Xonar D2
OCZ Vertex 2 120GB
a few hdd's

At first I'd like to watercool cpu and gpu, and will probably add another gpu shortly. Cpu is working @4.2GHz on air, would like to increase a bit. Gpu is @850/1700MHz, 1.08V, the second one should also do at least that (a friend works at a shop, and he is going to pick a good card for me).

1) So, I need a recomendation for a CPU block, GPU full cover block, a pump, a triple radiator, and a reservoir. I'll be ordering everything from http://www.caseking.de/shop/catalog/index.php?language=en

The ventilators will be Scythe S-Flex (got three already).

2) I MIGHT want to watercool the chipset, vrm of the board, or anything that could be cooled on the mobo :)

So if you could recommend a solution for 1) and 2) separately, I'd be thanking everyone a lot.

Thanks in advance.

xrodney

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
Watercool Heatkiller CPU Rev3.0 754/939/AM2 is one of best cpu water blocks.
As for GPU I like Aquacomputer ones, using one on mine HD5870 and its flawless.
Laing DDC is one of best and most silent pumps (with aftermarket top) but choice is up to you. Do you want integrated reservoir or separate one ?
( http://www.aquatuning.co.uk/product_info.php/info/p3284_XSPC-Laing-DDC-reservoir-complete-incl--decoupling-kit.html as example) In any case avoid 5.25" bay ones, they tend to crack.
Radiator XSPC RX360.

Checked on caseking and they have very limited choices, you are better getting components from aquatuning.de (one of best shops for watercooling and they are located in most countries in EU)

2) Dont even think about watercooling anything on mobo unless you doing extreme overclocking and problems with temperature. Its not really worth it.

daxyco

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010
What do you think about this pump Laing T5-58/550 P, I found it for 100e?

It would be easier to order from caseking, but I will look into ordering from aquatuning.de if caseking doesn't fit my needs.

d0gr0ck

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009
1) Did you read through any of the material in: New to watercooling? Read here first!!!!!!!!!!
2) To effectively cool 2 GPUs, a CPU and chipset (all overclocked on top of that) you are going to need much more than a single triple rad to handle the heat.
3) For the amount of cooling you want to do you'll start to see recommendations of doing 2 separate loops.
4) Do you have the room in your (unspecified) case? Can you sketch out on paper the path the tubing will take?

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
2) I MIGHT want to watercool the chipset, vrm of the board, or anything that could be cooled on the mobo

Not worth the money. They won't benefit you by watercooling them. Stick to CPU/GPU.

You might consier running two 2x120 rads or more. A single triple probably won't be superb. You might be able to run stock speeds with really good fans in push/pull.

http://skinneelabs.com/triplesv2.html

daxyco

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010
I thought of having one triple rad for now, and adding another when I buy the second gpu. I don't understand what do you mean under "2 separate loops"? Two pumps? That's too complicated for me.

I have NZXT Phantom. And I have absolutely no idea about tubing. Where can I see an example?

d0gr0ck

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009
"Loop" being jargon for the tube and part path the water will flow through. Some people recommend separating out high power components, though cooling a CPU and 2 GPUs can easily be done on a single pump system with proper planning.

I don't have any specific examples of a NZXT Phantom lying around. You can take a read down on the link I provided, under Guides you'll find some links to photo galleries of many cases on XtremeSystems.

xrodney

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006

he mean 2 separate loops like:
1 - Pump->CPU->Rad->Reservoir->Pump
2 - Pump->GPU->GPU->Rad->Reservoir->Pump

And please do not mix at any cost materials with different eletric potential. For example Al+Cu combination in loop is one of worst combinations as small amount of metal is allways absorbed by water and eventually come in contact with other metal slowly damaging it.

And you also need to use some inhibitor preventing growth of bacteria and algae causing your blocks to clog over time.
Small silver strip is most used one.

For cooling is best to use distiled water and not some of those funky cooling liquids that tend to break up and again clog your blocks.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
I thought of having one triple rad for now, and adding another when I buy the second gpu. I don't understand what do you mean under "2 separate loops"? Two pumps? That's too complicated for me.

I have NZXT Phantom. And I have absolutely no idea about tubing. Where can I see an example?

Maybe watercooling isn't for you...it's not difficult to understand once you read and understand concepts...I'd highly suggest starting with the content on the links I provided...and any links they might lead to.

Google is your friend, please use it.