Sign in with
Your question

First Intel SSD

Last response: in Storage
November 25, 2010 12:17:33 AM

My experience with my first bought Intel SSD.... all these thousands of great reviews and improved performance and then when I order and install one there is really no difference in speed compared to my regular HDD LOL maybe 2 second less on boot up time... I think maybe its time to buy a new system that is up to spec of today's tech to really see any improvements with an SSD. :pt1cable: 

More about : intel ssd

a c 98 G Storage
November 25, 2010 12:28:57 AM

Is your drive ports SATA II? or just I?

Is ACHI enabled in the BIOS? Or just have IDE or IDE Enhanced available?

Did you update the firmware before installing the OS?

Did you do a fresh install of the OS, or clone it?

What OS? Windws 7 has native support for SSDs, and I wouldn't go any other way.

Is TRIM enabled? Should be if you have Win7.

Am I over your head?
November 25, 2010 12:45:47 AM

By chance are you using a nvidia motherboard? They do not support ACHI so you have to un-install the nvidia drivers and use windows7 drivers or you'll get crappy performance
Related resources
November 25, 2010 1:10:18 AM

Oh wait I forgot with pc stuff I have to go through 7 steps in order for it to work properly... I joke lol but yes I have W7 Pro 64-bit and I'm not sure what sata it is probably just "I" why it is so slow maybe I have no idea but for the firmware update should I delete the intalled OS on the ssd first then install the firmware update?
November 25, 2010 1:10:56 AM

japps2 said:
By chance are you using a nvidia motherboard? They do not support ACHI so you have to un-install the nvidia drivers and use windows7 drivers or you'll get crappy performance

do you mean nvida chipset ??? its a crappy dell motherboard with a nvidia chipset does that answer that question!?
November 25, 2010 2:52:28 AM

okay checked to see if the firmware was update to date and it was... so don't install the drivers from nvidia for both motherboard and video card drivers?
November 25, 2010 3:31:03 AM

foscooter said:
Is your drive ports SATA II? or just I?

Is ACHI enabled in the BIOS? Or just have IDE or IDE Enhanced available?

Did you update the firmware before installing the OS?

Did you do a fresh install of the OS, or clone it?

What OS? Windws 7 has native support for SSDs, and I wouldn't go any other way.

Is TRIM enabled? Should be if you have Win7.

Am I over your head?

Okay yes trim is enabled like you said because I got W7 Pro, the firmware was already updated before I even opened the box. I did a fresh install. I was wondering why when I choose not to download the drivers for W7 I can see how fast the sdd is but once I install the million updates it seems to slow it back to what my orignal hdd is?
November 25, 2010 3:38:29 AM

here's a good read:
http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=384590&mpage=1
nvidia chipsets with SSD's have worse performance than some HDD...but it looks like a good work around. read about the 5th post from SR1945...it gives step by step instructions for someone setting up a SSD with a nvidia chipset.
November 25, 2010 1:48:04 PM

japps2 said:
here's a good read:
http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=384590&mpage=1
nvidia chipsets with SSD's have worse performance than some HDD...but it looks like a good work around. read about the 5th post from SR1945...it gives step by step instructions for someone setting up a SSD with a nvidia chipset.

well trim is enabled.... "Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller" is not in the list when I try to update the driver can anyone provide me with a link to download this driver.
!