Sign in with
Your question

Video Editing- AMD Quad CPU a Good Solution?

Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
July 22, 2009 12:28:14 AM

Thinking about building a PC for video editing- comprising of converting tape to digital. Lot's of power required to speed up the rendering process. My old Pentium 3.0E huffs and puffs to do this slowly.

Looking at the AMD Quad 4 3.3 Mgz processor which has a nice price point.

Will this CPU be significantly faster than my old set-up?

Thanks
a b à CPUs
July 22, 2009 2:31:23 AM

It would be a heck of alot faster.
m
l
Related resources
July 22, 2009 2:49:49 AM

Any quad will scream compared to what you're working with now. I can't find a 3.3 ghz online, but I haven't been following the top-end of AMD's desktop end.

Intel also has some offerings, but you can probably fetch some cheaper (but slower) gear from AMD that will still blow your socks off compared to what you currently have.
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 22, 2009 10:05:55 AM

Yeah there is no 3.3Ghz AMD Quad now.There is a 3.2 Ghz Phenom II X4 955 BE though and there are some fantastic combo deals with it and various motherboards on newegg.
Overall a Intel Core i7 920 would be better but that depends on if you live near a microcenter retail store(which has them for $200).
Here is the best deal on the Phenom II X4 955 and Motherboard.
It's $65 off plus a $15 mail in rebate so you're basically getting the motherboard for free.I was checking out the motherboard and apparently it looks as though no bios update is probably needed for it as it is very new.So far there are few reviews of the motherboard but of those on newegg they look very favorable.So I would think that it's a very good budget motherboard.
It comes to $229.99 - $15.00 mail in rebate for both the CPU and the Motherboard.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...
For what you're doing (video encoding) this would be a good economical choice.
You could have a new build based upon this for quite a low cost.
m
l
July 22, 2009 11:26:34 AM

jj463rd said:
Overall a Intel Core i7 920 would be better but that depends on if you live near a microcenter retail store(which has them for $200).
Here is the best deal on the Phenom II X4 955 and Motherboard.

Dang it... I just did a new build a few months ago. I pass a MicroCenter on my way two and from work each day.
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 22, 2009 1:50:18 PM

Yeah well we all miss some great deals sometimes.I would have gone the Core i7 920 route if I had a Microcenter near me.Myself I couldn't pass up on a Phenom II X4 955 BE + Motherboard combo.So it looks as though I am in the process of building another system.
Here is another great combo deal at newegg.
It depends if the OP has no intention of using a discrete graphics card and does no or light gaming this board has great Integrated Graphics,It's an AM3 based board and comes in a combo deal with the Phenom II X4 955.It has the better 790GX/750SB chipset.
You can of course add a discrete graphics card on it though if desired
It's kind of hard to say because both boards look fine.
This one is $70 off

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

m
l
!