Sign in with
Your question

Selecting a 1920x1200 LCD monitor in the 24" range

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 9, 2009 4:42:38 AM

(Why isn't there a monitors sub-category for this forum!? Should I be posting this in another section? I stuck it in Nvidia, as I'm going to be using an Nvidia card, but that's incidental to the question at hand.)

I'm looking to purchase two 1920x1200 monitors, somewhere in the 24" range. (This is for a new build that I'm finalizing.) I've just picked up the GPU, an Nvidia GTX 260 Core 216, which I expect should do a fine job for gaming on one of the monitors and running dual-head for programming and scientific computing the rest of the time (as well as the occasional video.) Thus, I want good response time, low lag, and no ghosting, as well as good readability for long coding sessions. I probably want a VESA mount point, as I'll be considering a two-arm monitor mount at some point.

I like the extra real estate provided by the 1920x1200, as well as the squarer profile of the 16:10 layout, so I'm not as keen on 1920x1080 models. HDCP is probably a good thing, just to keep the options open. I've pretty much ruled out cheaper *VA panels as price is still a bit high and the input lag isn't so hot for gaming from what I've seen. I'm going to be using these sitting at a desk, so TN viewing angles are probably not going to be a major issue. I won't be using any monitor speakers, webcams, or microphones (if present), so I don't care if they suck.

I'd like to spend close to $250, if I can get something good for that price. I'd be willing to slide up toward $300. I'd even be willing to go over $300 if it will help ensure my long-term happiness with the setup, but much higher and I'll start feeling a bit acrophobic (and impecunious).

Here are a few models that I've been looking at:

Westinghouse L2610NW 25.5"

My local Best Buy has this Westinghouse for $202. (!!!) The reviews look pretty shabby, though, so this one isn't a real contender. Also, I'm not too keen on the styling (which isn't fatal, but it's a minus). Should I actually think about this one? I'm thinking it makes sense to spend a bit more.

Sceptre X24WG-1080P 24"

I liked the look of this one when I saw it in person at Micro Center, but they raised the price from $250 to $400! Newegg currently has it for $240, though, which isn't bad at all. I'm a bit nervous about the quality. Anyone had experiences with this model, or Sceptre in general?

Asus MK241H 24"

This one looks kind of attractive, but it looks like there might be some build quality issues (a number of the reviews mention HDCP problems, particularly). This one is high in my sights, currently at $250 from Newegg after rebate.

Asus VK266H 25.5"
Asus VW266H 25.5"

Another Asus; this one looks pretty good, too. Lots of inputs, which is nice for future flexibility. It looks like the only difference between these two models is that the VK has a webcam for an extra $20. The VW is $300 from Newegg after rebate.

Hanns-G HG-281DPB 27.5"

$330 from Newegg. This one is starting to go over the top of my size and cost ranges. It does seem to be pretty well reviewed. Is it more wonderful? I'm wondering if two of these would be too big for a dual-monitor set-up. The contrast ratio is 800:1, which is lower than the others.

Samsung 2433BW 24"
$270 from Newegg. 5ms response time listed, which is slower than some of the others. Samsung's got a good reputation, but it's not necessarily clear how this particular panel would stack up against some of the others.

Samsung ToC T240 Rose Black 24"
Samsung ToC T240HD Rose-Black 24"

A pair at the very top end of the price range I can stomach. Response time is 5ms, again, slightly slower...but some of those are quoting gray-to-gray times, so I'm not sure if that's comparable. The difference between these seems to be that the T240HD has an HD tuner and a slew more inputs for $10 less (!) than the T240. The T240HD is $329 from Newegg.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Has anyone been particularly happy or unhappy with any of these panels? Is there a different one I should be looking at? Is there a panel in this segment that clearly dominates the others?

Thanks very much for any input!
May 9, 2009 5:07:50 AM

I'm in the same boat as you right now. Lookin for a new monitor with the same specs as you, amd that Asus MK241H is lookin real nice, especially with the additional Newegg promo code through 5/11 with an additional $20 off, making it $230 with free shipping after the MIR.
a b Î Nvidia
a c 196 C Monitor
May 9, 2009 5:31:42 AM

zenoli said:
(Why isn't there a monitors sub-category for this forum!? Should I be posting this in another section? I stuck it in Nvidia, as I'm going to be using an Nvidia card, but that's incidental to the question at hand.)

It's in the 'Consumer Electronics' section under 'Computer Peripheral' and lastly 'Flat Panel / LCD'.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum-3-10.html

Related resources
May 9, 2009 6:02:05 AM

atm i'm using the Samsung ToC T240HD Rose-Black 24" paired with a hd4870 connected with the hdmi port and it runs smooth as butter. It comes with the hdtv tuner and i'm able to kick back and watch tv when my pc is downloading or scanning or turned off. speakers are lacking however (vol is at 20~ range). Have my games run through my 5.1 and my vent running through my hdmi cable and out the monitor speakers. if you want to put beefier speakers on it however you'll need a digital receiver with a optical in (eg. sound and video through hdmi on pc -> to monitor -> to digital out of monitor-> to receiver). that way you get 5.1 via tv and pc. all in all its a good screen.
May 9, 2009 4:30:20 PM

I Just Bought the Samsung T240HD since my previous monitor was a Samsung and I love this brand.
This Monitor so far has been Awesome, Good Display and Colors for Games with 1920x1200, and also is rated as one of the best 24" monitors out there. It is built in HDTV tuner with lots of connections so you can have various devices plug to this.

Also difference between 5ms and 2ms is nothing because your eyes won't see it, This monitor has NO ghosting pretty sharp picture. Also it has a very sexy design.

My Second Choice would be the HP w2408h which is almost the same but its only a monitor not Tv and it doesn't have much inputs as the T240HD Both are Great but it depends what you looking for and your needs.

I bought the Samsug for $270 in Ebay refurbished and it looks new and seller has good feedback. Also look for the HP in Ebay if that's what you want

http://cgi.ebay.com/Samsung-24-LCD-TV-HDTV-FLAT-PANEL-T...

If you don't Like Ebay you can always try Newegg.com and Buy.com you have to be checking regularly because their prices changes and sometimes they have deals that only last like 2 days or less, they have really good prices.

Samsung and HP are one of the best in LCDs, don't look into cheap Brands
May 10, 2009 1:08:01 AM

Hm, that's a lot of love for the T240HD! Some of the reviews I've found mention ghosting and input lag, but others say that there's none...clearly, monitor testing is a somewhat subjective art. I haven't been able to find the color depth of the panel used (6-bit, 10-bit, etc.)

Samsung's zero-dead-pixel program is another plus, and should offset Newegg's obnoxiously draconian monitor exchange policy.

I have to say, I'm tempted by the flexibility and it does look like a nice unit. The T240HD is currently top of my leaderboard, and I'm probably going to order two by the end of the night.
May 10, 2009 1:09:28 AM

jaguarskx said:
It's in the 'Consumer Electronics' section under 'Computer Peripheral' and lastly 'Flat Panel / LCD'.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum-3-10.html

Ah, thank you. The fact that this section is headed "Graphic and Displays" is what threw me off.
a b Î Nvidia
a c 196 C Monitor
May 10, 2009 1:27:33 AM

zenoli said:
Hm, that's a lot of love for the T240HD! Some of the reviews I've found mention ghosting and input lag, but others say that there's none...clearly, monitor testing is a somewhat subjective art. I haven't been able to find the color depth of the panel used (6-bit, 10-bit, etc.)

All 24" LCD monitors selling for less than roughly $575 (excluding sales and rebates) use TN panels and they are all 6-bits per primary color, rather than 8-bit per primary for PVA, MVA, and IPS panels.

Current lowest price non-TN 24" LCD monitor is the Dell 2408WFP which is on sale for just under $500 (excluding shipping and handling).
May 10, 2009 2:23:47 AM

jaguarskx said:
All 24" LCD monitors selling for less than roughly $575 (excluding sales and rebates) use TN panels and they are all 6-bits per primary color, rather than 8-bit per primary for PVA, MVA, and IPS panels.

Ah, that's very helpful, I hadn't realized that all TN panels were 6-bit. Thanks.
May 10, 2009 6:09:00 AM

zenoli said:

I'm looking to purchase two 1920x1200 monitors, somewhere in the 24" range. (This is for a new build that I'm finalizing.) I've just picked up the GPU, an Nvidia GTX 260 Core 216, which I expect should do a fine job for gaming on one of the monitors and running dual-head for programming and scientific computing the rest of the time (as well as the occasional video.) Thus, I want good response time, low lag, and no ghosting, as well as good readability for long coding sessions. I probably want a VESA mount point, as I'll be considering a two-arm monitor mount at some point.

I like the extra real estate provided by the 1920x1200, as well as the squarer profile of the 16:10 layout, so I'm not as keen on 1920x1080 models. HDCP is probably a good thing, just to keep the options open. I've pretty much ruled out cheaper *VA panels as price is still a bit high and the input lag isn't so hot for gaming from what I've seen. I'm going to be using these sitting at a desk, so TN viewing angles are probably not going to be a major issue. I won't be using any monitor speakers, webcams, or microphones (if present), so I don't care if they suck.

I'd like to spend close to $250, if I can get something good for that price. I'd be willing to slide up toward $300. I'd even be willing to go over $300 if it will help ensure my long-term happiness with the setup, but much higher and I'll start feeling a bit acrophobic (and impecunious).

Here are a few models that I've been looking at:

Westinghouse L2610NW 25.5"

My local Best Buy has this Westinghouse for $202. (!!!) The reviews look pretty shabby, though, so this one isn't a real contender. Also, I'm not too keen on the styling (which isn't fatal, but it's a minus). Should I actually think about this one? I'm thinking it makes sense to spend a bit more.

Sceptre X24WG-1080P 24"

I liked the look of this one when I saw it in person at Micro Center, but they raised the price from $250 to $400! Newegg currently has it for $240, though, which isn't bad at all. I'm a bit nervous about the quality. Anyone had experiences with this model, or Sceptre in general?

Asus MK241H 24"

This one looks kind of attractive, but it looks like there might be some build quality issues (a number of the reviews mention HDCP problems, particularly). This one is high in my sights, currently at $250 from Newegg after rebate.

Asus VK266H 25.5"
Asus VW266H 25.5"

Another Asus; this one looks pretty good, too. Lots of inputs, which is nice for future flexibility. It looks like the only difference between these two models is that the VK has a webcam for an extra $20. The VW is $300 from Newegg after rebate.

Hanns-G HG-281DPB 27.5"

$330 from Newegg. This one is starting to go over the top of my size and cost ranges. It does seem to be pretty well reviewed. Is it more wonderful? I'm wondering if two of these would be too big for a dual-monitor set-up. The contrast ratio is 800:1, which is lower than the others.

Samsung 2433BW 24"
$270 from Newegg. 5ms response time listed, which is slower than some of the others. Samsung's got a good reputation, but it's not necessarily clear how this particular panel would stack up against some of the others.

Samsung ToC T240 Rose Black 24"
Samsung ToC T240HD Rose-Black 24"

A pair at the very top end of the price range I can stomach. Response time is 5ms, again, slightly slower...but some of those are quoting gray-to-gray times, so I'm not sure if that's comparable. The difference between these seems to be that the T240HD has an HD tuner and a slew more inputs for $10 less (!) than the T240. The T240HD is $329 from Newegg.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Has anyone been particularly happy or unhappy with any of these panels? Is there a different one I should be looking at? Is there a panel in this segment that clearly dominates the others?

Thanks very much for any input!

Just wanted to say that I am in the exact same situation as you are, looking for dual 1920x1200 monitors and not primarily for gaming. I have been eying the Samsung models for some time specifically the SAMSUNG 2433BW. I haven't heard any bad reviews on it but people keep suggesting ASUS, saying that I would just be paying for the name with Samsung. I am going to be purchasing my new build in the next month or so and I think I am going to go with Samsung.
!