Upgrading Ram 4 Dummies

G

I have a Dell OptiPlex GX150 which is in need of Ram. There are 2 slots, Slot-A 256MB and Slot-B 256MB. My question is, am I suppose to purchase a 512MB piece to replace oneof the existing chips. Is my system able to handle the extra memory? This might be a very simple procedure for the lot of you but am clearly being stumped. If anyone can offer me solid adveice I would greatly appreciate it.

Ro

pepperman

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
Honestly, its not worth it to upgrade the ram. Your computer uses SDRAM, which has a very high price tag on it, yet its performance is very low. If you need an upgrade, I would recommend upgrading the entire computer. Regardless of what you got, you would see leaps and bounds of performance over your current pc.
In case you do want to know, though, 256 MB is the largest dimm you can put in your computer.

dallasjoh

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
This is from Dell's support site and 512 MB of ram is the max for your computer which you already have, and like pepperman said "upgrade the whole computer."

System Memory
You can increase system memory up to 512 MB by using synchronous dynamic random-access memory (SDRAM) dual in-line memory modules (DIMMs). The system board illustration shows the location of the DIMM sockets on the system board (DIMMs must be non-error checking and correction [non-ECC]).

support.dell.com.