New Computer with horrible graphics problems

stonewalljav

Distinguished
May 9, 2009
Hello, I recently baught a computer from cyber power pc, I ordered it with a ATI Radeon 4870 X2. Also when i ordered it i requested that just the hard drive be formatted so i could load vista and whatnot. But when i go to load the drivers for the video card my computer crashes. I get 2 error codes, One being atikmdag which i can fix by going into safe mode and disableing Ati external event. And by the way what it that? And the other is a code, i did not get a chance to grab the code. Is anyone else having these problems? I reloaded the OS 3 times. Tried an array of old/new drivers for the card. Any suggestions? I am getting pretty desperate to fix this problem. Please someone help me.

Computer specs:
Intel Core i7 920 2.67ghz
12G DDR3 1600mhz Triple Channel Memory
1000W Power Supply
ATI Radeon 4870 X2
Thermaltake V1 Cooling System
2 Extra Fans
Vista Home Premium 64Bit

stonewalljav

Distinguished
May 9, 2009
Well, I sent them an email. Its the weekend so they are closed. I am also in Japan, so if ihave to send something back its going to be a pain. I was just hoping someone could help me...

Ok, so you load up the OS, install all MB drivers, then let windows update itself only, then load the video drivers and this happens. Have you tried installing the drivers in safe mode? Make sure you are getting the right version (Vista 64). And it crashes right after or during the graphics driver installation?

stonewalljav

Distinguished
May 9, 2009
I have the right version, and for some reason i cant load the drivers in safe mode. I also saw somewhere else not to install CCC but i tried that and CCC still installs for some reason. I also tryed going in and renaming the atikmdag.sys file but to no avail.

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005

You can just get the driver file from ATI seperate from the CCC file. Download that, uninstall your CCC and your driver, then install the driver. CAT 9.4 seems to have issues with certain configs, hopefully these issues will be dealt with in 9.5. Meanwhile, as you seem to be having issues, I'd just use the 9.3 drivers / CCC files