Asus MB found new hardware pci device

M3ksh33p

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
Installed new HDD and mb is asus A7N8X-X windows finds "new hardware" that isnt there opens wizard that cant find driver for device.

I have nothing in PCI slots, "unknown pci device" has to be IRQ screwup somewhere but everything works except for service pack 3 for XP... after install it hangs on boot screen , will not boot . this is a IDE pc !!! THE INTELL ENTRY IN REG HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS PROBLEM. ???

M3ksh33p

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
Thanks for the suggestions . I did have the driver cd for the motherboard, BUT I found updated drivers from their site.. And I Am getting same problem . Looking through the new drivers I found where they added a "FIX" for this .. but for some reason its not working. I installed the updated ones twice to make sure .

It basically had a system32 run file to set it up with no driver .

Did you try to install the driver manually ?

1) Press and hold windows key + pause

2) go to hardware tab

3)open up device manager

4) locate device with a yellow "!" and right click and go to properties

5) goto driver and click update driver

6) select install from a list select first option and check box include this location in search

It should find it and install (hopefully)

or repeat same but use don't search, i will chose the driver to install but then you have to tell what device is it is

Can you show me the fix to know what it is related to ? Do you have any sound on the computer ??

THANKS ill will try to help you

M3ksh33p

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
Yes I have sound and everything else seems to be working fine. I have the "unknown PCI" disabled in device manager the only place it shows an error is in the system scan an tht shows a "problem device" . I dont think there is a driver for this specific it should be covered with the IDE driver.

here is what I found ...in the SMBus folder -

; nvsmb.INF

; Copyright (c) 2001-2002, NVIDIA
; Version 1.00

[Version]
Signature = "$WINDOWS NT$"
Class = System
ClassGuid = {4D36E97D-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
Provider = %NVIDIA%
CatalogFile = nvsmb.cat
DriverVer = 11/20/2003, 4.0.4

[ControlFlags]
ExcludeFromSelect=*

[Manufacturer]
%NVIDIA_MFG%=NVIDIA_SYS

[SourceDisksFiles]

[NVIDIA_SYS]
%PCI\VEN_10de&DEV_01b4.DeviceDesc% = NO_DRV, PCI\VEN_10de&DEV_01b4
%PCI\VEN_10de&DEV_01b4.DeviceDesc% = NO_DRV, PCI\VEN_10de&DEV_0064
%PCI\VEN_10de&DEV_01b4.DeviceDesc% = NO_DRV, PCI\VEN_10de&DEV_00D4
%PCI\VEN_10de&DEV_01b4.DeviceDesc% = NO_DRV, PCI\VEN_10de&DEV_0084
%PCI\VEN_10de&DEV_01b4.DeviceDesc% = NO_DRV, PCI\VEN_10de&DEV_00E4

;**************************************************************************
; Do-nothing section used to avoid "Unknown hardware" installation prompts.
[NO_DRV]
Include=machine.inf
Needs=NO_DRV

[NO_DRV.Services]
Include=machine.inf
Needs=NO_DRV.Services

[NO_DRV.HW]
Include=machine.inf
Needs=NO_DRV.HW

[Strings]
SystemClassName = "System devices"
NVIDIA = "NVIDIA"
NVIDIA_MFG = "NVIDIA"
PCI\VEN_10de&DEV_01b4.DeviceDesc = "NVIDIA nForce PCI System Management"

See the NO_DRV and this readme is a setup information file that opens with note pad. I was going to manually put this in the system32 folder ... then I chicken'd out because pc is running perfect , no errors on boot running a normal startup and no crashes !

I am thinking now the "Asus Probe" was giving me kernel errors on boot up so I uninstalled it , but would the kernal error on a "motherboard temp monitor" cause service pack 3 to lockup in the windows load screen??