Danger! Danger!

Microsoft still thinks SP2 is a good idea. In fact, they love it
so much that they want us all to share. By April 12th, it will be
forced on your computer. Make back-ups of everything you have! It
might be clean install time.

http://www.microsoft.com/smallbusiness/products/os/winxp/sp2/hub.mspx

Be afraid.

T.
36 answers Last reply
More about danger danger

    Taemon wrote:
    > Microsoft still thinks SP2 is a good idea. In fact, they love it
    > so much that they want us all to share. By April 12th, it will be
    > forced on your computer. Make back-ups of everything you have! It
    > might be clean install time.
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/smallbusiness/products/os/winxp/sp2/hub.mspx
    >
    > Be afraid.
    >
    > T.

    It won't be forced on my computer. I disabled automatic updates and haven't
    downloaded any of them since SP2 killed my video card and motherboard last
    summer. That is the most malicious piece of software I've ever seen in my
    life. Every computer tech I know around here is telling people to disable
    automatic updates.

    Jeanie

    Jeanie wrote:
    > Whogus the Whatsler wrote:
    > >> It won't be forced on my computer. I disabled automatic updates
    and
    > >> haven't
    > >> downloaded any of them since SP2 killed my video card and
    > >> motherboard last summer. That is the most malicious piece of
    > >> software I've ever seen in my life. Every computer tech I know
    > >> around here is telling people to disable automatic updates.
    > >>

    > > Really? What am I missing here? We're running SP2 on all the
    > > computers in the house without any problems whatsoever.
    >
    > You are very fortunate.

    I had SP2 installed when I got my new computer and all seems ok. I
    also installed it on my old computer and had not a single problem.

    Strange considering all the problems I've heard of with it.

    ~*~
    vecki

    Taemon writes:

    > Microsoft still thinks SP2 is a good idea. In fact, they love it
    > so much that they want us all to share. By April 12th, it will be
    > forced on your computer.

    Only if you have automatic updates turned on.

    Jeanie writes:

    > You won't be able to download any updates if you turn automatic updates off.

    So?

    > But, take it from me, you
    > won't miss the updates. I have none and am running just fine.

    Same here.

    > It won't be forced on my computer. I disabled automatic updates and
    > haven't
    > downloaded any of them since SP2 killed my video card and motherboard last
    > summer.

    Riiiiiiiiiight.

    > That is the most malicious piece of software I've ever seen in my
    > life. Every computer tech I know around here is telling people to disable
    > automatic updates.

    No wonder you believe that SP2 "killed" your video card and motherboard.

    Whogus the Whatsler wrote:
    >> It won't be forced on my computer. I disabled automatic updates and
    >> haven't
    >> downloaded any of them since SP2 killed my video card and
    >> motherboard last summer. That is the most malicious piece of
    >> software I've ever seen in my life. Every computer tech I know
    >> around here is telling people to disable automatic updates.
    >>

    > Really? What am I missing here? We're running SP2 on all the
    > computers in the house without any problems whatsoever.

    You are very fortunate.

    Jeanie

    "Whogus the Whatsler" wrote

    >> It won't be forced on my computer. I disabled automatic updates and
    >> haven't
    >> downloaded any of them since SP2 killed my video card and motherboard
    >> last
    >> summer. That is the most malicious piece of software I've ever seen in
    >> my
    >> life. Every computer tech I know around here is telling people to
    >> disable
    >> automatic updates.

    > Really? What am I missing here? We're running SP2 on all the computers in
    > the house without any problems whatsoever.

    Me too. I've had SP2 on since last summer, with no problems

    Am Wed, 6 Apr 2005 09:17:14 +0100 schrieb caroline:
    >> Really? What am I missing here? We're running SP2 on all the computers in
    >> the house without any problems whatsoever.
    >
    > Me too. I've had SP2 on since last summer, with no problems

    Same here :) In fact, the system is better now than it was with SP1.

    Dorte

    "Dorte Schünecke" <schueneckeDELETE@web.de> wrote in message
    > Am Wed, 6 Apr 2005 09:17:14 +0100 schrieb caroline:
    >>> Really? What am I missing here? We're running SP2 on all the computers
    >>> in
    >>> the house without any problems whatsoever.
    >>
    >> Me too. I've had SP2 on since last summer, with no problems
    >
    > Same here :) In fact, the system is better now than it was with SP1.
    >
    > Dorte

    Same here.
    Mind you I've got a newer HP AMD Athlon 64 system and no old software and
    that might have something to do with it. (Any software worth keeping has
    updates to cope with it anyway. Check their sites).
    The only thing I've done, though, is to switch off the automatic updates as
    I check manually for these almost daily myself. They have a habit of
    interfering with gameplay otherwise!

    Skeatsan''co

    Mxsmanic wrote:
    > Jeanie writes:
    >
    >> You won't be able to download any updates if you turn automatic
    >> updates off.
    >
    > So?

    So I was answering the question that was asked!

    Jeanie

    Homer J. Simpson wrote:
    >> It won't be forced on my computer. I disabled automatic updates and
    >> haven't
    >> downloaded any of them since SP2 killed my video card and
    >> motherboard last summer.
    >
    > Riiiiiiiiiight.
    >
    >> That is the most malicious piece of software I've ever seen in my
    >> life. Every computer tech I know around here is telling people to
    >> disable automatic updates.
    >
    > No wonder you believe that SP2 "killed" your video card and
    > motherboard.

    It's not just a thought that came into my head. Dell's technicians told me
    this. I have the in-home service contract and both of the technicians they
    sent out here told me the same thing. Then I started talking to local
    computer shops and learned the same thing. You can believe what you want.
    I want nothing to do with SP2.

    Jeanie

    >> > Really? What am I missing here? We're running SP2 on all the
    >> > computers in the house without any problems whatsoever.
    >>
    >> You are very fortunate.
    >>

    > I had SP2 installed when I got my new computer and all seems ok. I
    > also installed it on my old computer and had not a single problem.
    >
    > Strange considering all the problems I've heard of with it.

    My husband is a computer tech and has it installed on all the computers he
    works with and has had 0 problems. I don't doubt that there are faults with
    it and I know many people have reported problems, but it isn't the 100%
    guaranteed computer death sentence that it's being portrayed as. Failing to
    run critical system updates as they become available seems like the bigger
    danger of the two because viruses tend to take advantage of known security
    breaches. I'd recommend to anyone who isn't sure that they give SP2 a go
    instead of just writing it off. Chances are that it won't destroy your
    computer and that it will protect you from all sorts of nasties.

    > My husband is a computer tech and has it installed on all the
    > computers he works with and has had 0 problems. I don't doubt that
    > there are faults with it and I know many people have reported
    > problems, but it isn't the 100% guaranteed computer death sentence
    > that it's being portrayed as. Failing to run critical system updates
    > as they become available seems like the bigger danger of the two
    > because viruses tend to take advantage of known security breaches.
    > I'd recommend to anyone who isn't sure that they give SP2 a go
    > instead of just writing it off. Chances are that it won't destroy
    > your computer and that it will protect you from all sorts of nasties.

    The first time I downloaded it, it fried my video card. I replaced it and
    reformatted. Reinstalled Windows XP without SP2 and disabled updates, as
    per the instructions of the tech support at Dell. They said they had had
    thousands of calls from customers who had actually had hardware destroyed by
    this program. A few weeks later, I read on various newsgroups that MS had
    fixed all the "bugs" in SP2, so I tried it again. Immediately, several
    applications (including MS applications like MS Works) stopped functioning.
    No amount of tweaking would help. Then it killed my motherboard.

    This was an expensive lesson for me and underscored the old saying "Fool me
    once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me." There won't be a third
    time.

    I have talked to three local computer shops and they all said the same
    thing. DON'T download SP2. In fact, one of them told me he was of the
    opinion that MS was doing this on purpose, screwing up computers all over
    the place so we would all line up like lemmings to buy the newest version of
    Windows, due for release before long, in order to fix the problems caused by
    this update. That particular guy went so far as to advise me to scrap MS
    products completely and move over to Linux. I didn't do that, primarily
    because of the Sims2, but also because my husband would never be able to
    learn a new interface.

    Jeanie

    Jeanie wrote:
    >>My husband is a computer tech and has it installed on all the
    >>computers he works with and has had 0 problems. I don't doubt that
    >>there are faults with it and I know many people have reported
    >>problems, but it isn't the 100% guaranteed computer death sentence
    >>that it's being portrayed as. Failing to run critical system updates
    >>as they become available seems like the bigger danger of the two
    >>because viruses tend to take advantage of known security breaches.
    >>I'd recommend to anyone who isn't sure that they give SP2 a go
    >>instead of just writing it off. Chances are that it won't destroy
    >>your computer and that it will protect you from all sorts of nasties.
    >

    > The first time I downloaded it, it fried my video card. I replaced it and
    > reformatted. Reinstalled Windows XP without SP2 and disabled updates, as
    > per the instructions of the tech support at Dell. They said they had had
    > thousands of calls from customers who had actually had hardware destroyed by
    > this program. A few weeks later, I read on various newsgroups that MS had
    > fixed all the "bugs" in SP2, so I tried it again. Immediately, several
    > applications (including MS applications like MS Works) stopped functioning.
    > No amount of tweaking would help. Then it killed my motherboard.
    >
    > This was an expensive lesson for me and underscored the old saying "Fool me
    > once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me." There won't be a third
    > time.
    >
    > I have talked to three local computer shops and they all said the same
    > thing. DON'T download SP2. In fact, one of them told me he was of the
    > opinion that MS was doing this on purpose, screwing up computers all over
    > the place so we would all line up like lemmings to buy the newest version of
    > Windows, due for release before long, in order to fix the problems caused by
    > this update. That particular guy went so far as to advise me to scrap MS
    > products completely and move over to Linux. I didn't do that, primarily
    > because of the Sims2, but also because my husband would never be able to
    > learn a new interface.
    >
    > Jeanie

    Linux is hard, even for people in the know. My hubby works with
    computers, and he had tried several different versions of Linux. He
    couldn't find one that did what he wanted it to do. There was always
    something missing, or some error he couldn't rectify. He's given up for
    now. I ran a dual boot with Linux for a while, but one day it just
    wouldn't let me into the Linux partition anymore and hubby didn't have
    time for it so I said to hell with it. It was great for the internet
    cause I didn't have to worry about viruses, but I have Norton and that
    runs constantly. The only time I turn it off is when I am running the
    Sims 2.

    Ali

    ali wrote:
> [...]
    >> products completely and move over to Linux. I didn't do that, primarily
    >> because of the Sims2, but also because my husband would never be able to
    >> learn a new interface.
    >>
    >> Jeanie
    >>

    > Linux is hard, even for people in the know. My hubby works with
    > computers, and he had tried several different versions of Linux. He
    > couldn't find one that did what he wanted it to do. There was always
    > something missing, or some error he couldn't rectify. He's given up for
    > now. I ran a dual boot with Linux for a while, but one day it just
    > wouldn't let me into the Linux partition anymore and hubby didn't have
    > time for it so I said to hell with it. It was great for the internet
    > cause I didn't have to worry about viruses, but I have Norton and that
    > runs constantly. The only time I turn it off is when I am running the

    By the way I also have SP2 installed with no problems so far.

    Ali

    "Whogus the Whatsler" <who@what.sler> wrote in message

    >> It won't be forced on my computer. I disabled automatic updates and
    >> haven't
    >> downloaded any of them since SP2 killed my video card and motherboard
    >> last
    >> summer. That is the most malicious piece of software I've ever seen
    >> in my
    >> life. Every computer tech I know around here is telling people to
    >> disable
    >> automatic updates.
    >>

    > Really? What am I missing here? We're running SP2 on all the computers
    > in the house without any problems whatsoever.

    I'm running SP2 without any problems too. I've had it since day one.

    Betty

    >>> You are very fortunate.
    >>>

    >> I had SP2 installed when I got my new computer and all seems ok. I
    >> also installed it on my old computer and had not a single problem.
    >>
    >> Strange considering all the problems I've heard of with it.
    >>

    > My husband is a computer tech and has it installed on all the
    > computers he works with and has had 0 problems. I don't doubt that
    > there are faults with it and I know many people have reported
    > problems, but it isn't the 100% guaranteed computer death sentence
    > that it's being portrayed as. Failing to run critical system updates
    > as they become available seems like the bigger danger of the two
    > because viruses tend to take advantage of known security breaches. I'd
    > recommend to anyone who isn't sure that they give SP2 a go instead of
    > just writing it off. Chances are that it won't destroy your computer
    > and that it will protect you from all sorts of nasties.

    I agree 100%. There are just too many viruses and junk, I took my
    chances with SP2 &
    glad I did.

    Betty

    Whogus the Whatsler writes:

    > My husband is a computer tech and has it installed on all the computers he
    > works with and has had 0 problems.

    What applications are running on these computers?

    I've had SP2 for awhile now, no problems, except they now want to control my
    firewall, and I get a network timeout when the program can't connect through
    my firewall. I click "repair" and it connects. Other than that, I've barely
    noticed. I run typical office apps, and the Sims. A couple other games.

    Skeatsan''co writes:

    > Any software worth keeping has
    > updates to cope with it anyway.

    The updates are usually _upgrades_, and they are almost never free.

    Madame Mim wrote:

    > I have my XP set to notify me of updates, and then I
    > select expert installation and refuse to install SP2,
    > even though I have been notified of it at least 6 times.

    You won't be able to refuse it after April 12th, that's why I'm
    making all this noise. So I think you should back everything up
    and/or stop the automatic updates altogether.

    T.

    > Whogus the Whatsler

    That is such a beautiful nick.

    > > Vecki wrote:
    > > I had SP2 installed when I got my new computer and all
    > > seems ok. I also installed it on my old computer and
    > > had not a single problem.

    New systems are no problem. I worried about my current one.

    > Failing to run critical system updates as
    > they become available seems like the bigger danger of the
    > two because viruses tend to take advantage of known
    > security breaches.

    Which is why I use Firefox.

    T.

    >> You won't be able to download any updates if you turn
    >> automatic updates off. Going to the page to download them
    >> one at a time hasn't been possible for a while, because
    >> it's set to download SP2 first. But, take it from me,
    >> you won't miss the updates. I have none and am running
    >> just fine.
    >
    > That might be dangerous... but I'm using Firefox, which helps.
    > And AVG and ZoneAlarm... I really should switch to another
    > mail/newsreader, but I love it to have mail and news in one
    > program.
    >
    > Thank you.
    >
    > T.

    I use Firefox, too, have for months now. I also use Thunderbird for email,
    but it had a tendency to time out when I tried it for newsgroups. Some have
    good luck with it. You can check out Forte Agent, too. Free Agent is good
    for newsgroups, but you have to pay for it in order to use it for email,
    too.

    Jeanie

    I've had SP2 since it came out on my old computer. When I got the new one it
    was installed.
    NO problems with either computer or software. I don't understand this, MS
    would have tons of law suits if it was doing all this damage. And aren't we
    All clamoring for MS to Plug the Holes???
    Sage

    Homer J. Simpson writes:

    > There's no code in SP2 that can fry a video card. How would this work,
    > exactly? Overclock it?

    You can fry some video cards by loading control registers with
    inappropriate parameters, the same is true for monitors, although that's
    less of a problem today since many monitors simply won't accept bad
    parameters.

    I can't imagine why SP2 or any other software would do this, though.
    It's very low-level programming that nothing other than a device driver
    would ever come near.

    > Don't expect Longhorn before late 2006.

    Why would anyone care about Longhorn?

    > Is this in MS's best interest?

    There's no other reason for Longhorn.

    >> There's no code in SP2 that can fry a video card. How would this work,
    >> exactly? Overclock it?
    >
    > You can fry some video cards by loading control registers with
    > inappropriate parameters, the same is true for monitors, although that's
    > less of a problem today since many monitors simply won't accept bad
    > parameters.
    >
    > I can't imagine why SP2 or any other software would do this, though.

    My point exactly.

    > It's very low-level programming that nothing other than a device driver
    > would ever come near.

    ....and (I can't confirm without trying it out) SP2 is highly unlikely to
    replace a proprietary driver.

    >> Don't expect Longhorn before late 2006.
    >
    > Why would anyone care about Longhorn?

    That was part of Jeanie's conspiracy theory--quote:

    > MS was doing this on purpose, screwing up computers all over
    > the place so we would all line up like lemmings to buy the newest version
    > of
    > Windows, due for release before long, in order to fix the problems caused
    > by
    > this update

    I was pointing out that--even in bizarro world where such a conspiracy would
    be true--it wouldn't be in MS's best interest to introduce such problems in
    an XP service pack *now* when Longhorn is still nowhere near complete.

    > I've had SP2 since it came out on my old computer. When I got the new one
    > it was installed.
    > NO problems with either computer or software. I don't understand this, MS
    > would have tons of law suits if it was doing all this damage. And aren't
    > we All clamoring for MS to Plug the Holes???

    Exactly!! On one hand, before SP2 came out, people got pissed that MS
    couldn't come up with fixes fast enough, then they got pissed that they had
    updates downloading on a weekly if not daily basis. Then MS came out with
    SP2, and people are staying away from it...which is it gonna be?

    >released, and subsequent hotfixes have also been released to take care of
    >further problems--you have to start questioning those people's advice. At
    >the very least, it's downright irresponsible. SP2 plugs *a lot* of security
    >holes, and there's very little excuse for Joe Consumer not to have it

    Which security holes are those? Every viruskiller and anti-spyware
    program known to man have been run on my computer and nothing wrong
    has ever been found. I don't use Internet Explorer, Outlook, Office
    or any other Microsoft program except Windows itself, so why do I need
    it?

    >>released, and subsequent hotfixes have also been released to take care of
    >>further problems--you have to start questioning those people's advice. At
    >>the very least, it's downright irresponsible. SP2 plugs *a lot* of
    >>security
    >>holes, and there's very little excuse for Joe Consumer not to have it
    >
    > Which security holes are those?

    LOL, you should hang out on Slashdot for a day.

    > Every viruskiller and anti-spyware
    > program known to man have been run on my computer and nothing wrong
    > has ever been found.

    Virus killers/anti-spyware don't look for security holes, they look for,
    well, viruses and spyware. The fact that you don't have them on a machine
    doesn't mean the vulnerabilities don't exist. There is such a thing as
    being proactive.

    > I don't use Internet Explorer, Outlook, Office
    > or any other Microsoft program except Windows itself, so why do I need
    > it?

    Because of security holes in core components that *do* get used by Windows
    itself? Before SP2 came out hotfixes were being posted on a weekly
    basis--look them up if you're bored. They don't *all* have to do with IE,
    Outlook or Office. Nowadays MS has eased off their hotfix release schedule
    to one a month.

    Oh, and lookie here, MS put together a cute Top Ten reasons for installing
    SP2 marketing schpiel right here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/topten.mspx

    Tell you what: my home machine isn't even connected to the net, nor does it
    even have a modem (dialup or highspeed). It's totally offline. Yet I
    installed SP2 as soon as I could get my hands on the final build. Security
    sure isn't an issue for that particular machine, but SP2 still got rid of
    plenty of quirks my system had developed over time. Whenever
    friends/family/acquaintances ask for help with their XP machines, the first
    thing I do is install SP2 if they don't already have it (well...after
    cleaning up all the viruses/spyware they've been collecting before SP2).

    >> You can believe what you want. I want nothing to do with SP2.
    >
    > So, what's the alternative? Leave your system open to attack, and let it
    > become a spambot or DDOS zombie?
    >
    > This may sound bitter from my end...don't get the wrong impression, there
    > *are* decent people working for the mom-and-pop shops or the Dells or HPs
    > of the world. They just don't fill the first-level support jobs. The
    > qualified people are the ones making sure their systems can support SP2
    > and doing the migrations.

    Don't be so nasty about HP. ;)

    I had bought my HP just before SP2 came out but the computer immediately
    connected with me to update my software and hardware to support it via their
    Automatic update facility. One reason not to immediately wipe out
    proprietory spy software I suppose.

    Mine's a smashing little computer. (Till the next big thing arrives or
    Sims4)!!

    I agree with not upgrading older computers with old hardware but I wouldn't
    connect them directly to the internet. My ISP went round checking every
    users security a little while ago and some people found that they were
    summarily cut off without warning as they weren't aware of being used.

    Skeatsan''co

    In fact, one of them told me he was of the
    > opinion that MS was doing this on purpose, screwing up computers all over
    > the place so we would all line up like lemmings to buy the newest version
    > of
    > Windows, due for release before long, in order to fix the problems caused
    > by
    > this update.

    LMAO

    So, in a nutshell, you believe that Microsoft, whilst under the microscope
    for anti-competitive behaviour, has released a patch to sabotage their own
    operating system so that when their new one is released _in 18 months time_
    the "lemmings" will buy it as they will harbour no grudge over the fact that
    they had to replace xteen parts in their old system that were fried by a
    previous Microsoft release? And the fact that this theory was supplied by
    employees of Dell - the company that provided all the faulty hardware -
    raised no flags with you?

    If the SP2 release date coincided with Longhorn's release date, the Dell
    Conspiracy Theorists might even become believable to the moronic and feeble
    minded but with no immediate release date it makes no sense whatsoever. If
    MS did purposely fry everyone's motherboard and video card without having an
    alternative system immediately there for people to shift to, the more likely
    result would be people changing to alternative OSs. That's something
    Microsoft would certainly NOT want. Like them, hate them, whatever, you have
    you acknowledge that poor marketing sense is not one of their faults or they
    simply wouldn't be where they are today.

    Not to cast aspersions on your local computer shop guys, but there are some
    absolute boneheads working in the industry. Just because they can afford to
    rent floor space, put a sign up saying "Computer Shop" and stock it with
    machines doesn't make them experts on anything.

    "Taemon" <Taemon@zonnet.nl> wrote in message
    >> Whogus the Whatsler
    >
    > That is such a beautiful nick.

    Thanks :) I was sick of being Iris McAlias.

    "ali" <babaonthenet@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Jeanie wrote:
    > I ran a dual boot with Linux for a while, but one day it just wouldn't let
    > me into the Linux partition anymore and hubby didn't have time for it so I
    > said to hell with it. It was great for the internet cause I didn't have
    > to worry about viruses...

    This is an attitude that occasionally causes trouble for Linux users. Linux
    viruses are a lot less common than Windows viruses, but they DO exist.
    Linux users have to be aware of this, and not assume that Linux is magically
    virus-proof.

    > Microsoft still thinks SP2 is a good idea. In fact, they love it
    > so much that they want us all to share. By April 12th, it will be
    > forced on your computer. Make back-ups of everything you have! It
    > might be clean install time.
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/smallbusiness/products/os/winxp/sp2/hub.mspx
    >
    > Be afraid.
    >
    > T.

    In most Windows XP machines, SP2 works fine and has worked fine since it was
    first released. I'm responsible for a dozen XP machines and all have SP2
    working fine.

    SP2 has a few hardware issues, but the bulk of of issues SP2 has are
    programs that aren't given access to the Internet or the network by default
    anymore. The user (or the IT guy responsible for the computer) has to know
    which applications need access and have to specifically alllow access.
    Either you have to explicitly grant and deny permissions to programs, or you
    have to live with the security holes that arise from this being done
    automatically.

    The next bigges issues with SP2 are with 3rd party Firewalls and Anti-Virus
    solutions. To begin with, SP2 couldn't detect or monitor third party
    programs, and might tell you that you have no Anti-Virus program, or try to
    run Windows Firewall on top of your third party firewall. In the short
    term, you can tell the SP2 Security Center that you have a Firewall or
    Anti-Virus that you will monitor yourself, and to stop telling you that you
    don't have one. However, most Firewall and Anti-Virus vendors have updated
    their products to work with the Security Center now.

    Schfooge wrote:

    > "Taemon" <Taemon@zonnet.nl> wrote in message
    >> Microsoft still thinks SP2 is a good idea. In fact, they love
    >> it
    >> so much that they want us all to share. By April 12th, it will
    >> be
    >> forced on your computer. Make back-ups of everything you have!
    >> It
    >> might be clean install time.
    > In most Windows XP machines, SP2 works fine and has worked fine
    > since
    > it was first released. I'm responsible for a dozen XP machines
    > and
    > all have SP2 working fine.

    Well, it seemed I had no choice so I back-upped and installed.
    Everything went fine. So I have unjumped the dance, as the Dutch
    say. And I haven't heard anyone else here screaming so I seems
    we're save again. What a relief! I was really worried.

    T.

Clean Install Microsoft Video Games