Danger! Danger!

Last response: in Video Games
April 5, 2005 11:39:28 PM

Microsoft still thinks SP2 is a good idea. In fact, they love it
so much that they want us all to share. By April 12th, it will be
forced on your computer. Make back-ups of everything you have! It
might be clean install time.

http://www.microsoft.com/smallbusiness/products/os/winx...

Be afraid.

T.

More about : danger danger

Anonymous
April 5, 2005 11:51:53 PM

Taemon wrote:
> Microsoft still thinks SP2 is a good idea. In fact, they love it
> so much that they want us all to share. By April 12th, it will be
> forced on your computer. Make back-ups of everything you have! It
> might be clean install time.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/smallbusiness/products/os/winx...
>
> Be afraid.
>
> T.

It won't be forced on my computer. I disabled automatic updates and haven't
downloaded any of them since SP2 killed my video card and motherboard last
summer. That is the most malicious piece of software I've ever seen in my
life. Every computer tech I know around here is telling people to disable
automatic updates.

Jeanie
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 11:51:54 PM

Jeanie wrote:
> Whogus the Whatsler wrote:
> >> It won't be forced on my computer. I disabled automatic updates
and
> >> haven't
> >> downloaded any of them since SP2 killed my video card and
> >> motherboard last summer. That is the most malicious piece of
> >> software I've ever seen in my life. Every computer tech I know
> >> around here is telling people to disable automatic updates.
> >>

> > Really? What am I missing here? We're running SP2 on all the
> > computers in the house without any problems whatsoever.
>
> You are very fortunate.

I had SP2 installed when I got my new computer and all seems ok. I
also installed it on my old computer and had not a single problem.

Strange considering all the problems I've heard of with it.

~*~
vecki
April 6, 2005 12:19:26 AM

Taemon writes:

> Microsoft still thinks SP2 is a good idea. In fact, they love it
> so much that they want us all to share. By April 12th, it will be
> forced on your computer.

Only if you have automatic updates turned on.

April 6, 2005 11:15:53 AM

Jeanie writes:

> You won't be able to download any updates if you turn automatic updates off.

So?

> But, take it from me, you
> won't miss the updates. I have none and am running just fine.

Same here.

April 6, 2005 1:20:56 PM

> It won't be forced on my computer. I disabled automatic updates and
> haven't
> downloaded any of them since SP2 killed my video card and motherboard last
> summer.

Riiiiiiiiiight.

> That is the most malicious piece of software I've ever seen in my
> life. Every computer tech I know around here is telling people to disable
> automatic updates.

No wonder you believe that SP2 "killed" your video card and motherboard.
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 2:05:29 PM

> It won't be forced on my computer. I disabled automatic updates and
> haven't
> downloaded any of them since SP2 killed my video card and motherboard last
> summer. That is the most malicious piece of software I've ever seen in my
> life. Every computer tech I know around here is telling people to disable
> automatic updates.

Really? What am I missing here? We're running SP2 on all the computers in
the house without any problems whatsoever.
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 2:05:30 PM

Whogus the Whatsler wrote:
>> It won't be forced on my computer. I disabled automatic updates and
>> haven't
>> downloaded any of them since SP2 killed my video card and
>> motherboard last summer. That is the most malicious piece of
>> software I've ever seen in my life. Every computer tech I know
>> around here is telling people to disable automatic updates.
>>

> Really? What am I missing here? We're running SP2 on all the
> computers in the house without any problems whatsoever.

You are very fortunate.

Jeanie
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 2:05:30 PM

"Whogus the Whatsler" wrote

>> It won't be forced on my computer. I disabled automatic updates and
>> haven't
>> downloaded any of them since SP2 killed my video card and motherboard
>> last
>> summer. That is the most malicious piece of software I've ever seen in
>> my
>> life. Every computer tech I know around here is telling people to
>> disable
>> automatic updates.

> Really? What am I missing here? We're running SP2 on all the computers in
> the house without any problems whatsoever.

Me too. I've had SP2 on since last summer, with no problems
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 2:50:39 PM

Am Wed, 6 Apr 2005 09:17:14 +0100 schrieb caroline:
>> Really? What am I missing here? We're running SP2 on all the computers in
>> the house without any problems whatsoever.
>
> Me too. I've had SP2 on since last summer, with no problems

Same here :)  In fact, the system is better now than it was with SP1.

Dorte
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 2:50:40 PM

"Dorte Schünecke" <schueneckeDELETE@web.de> wrote in message
> Am Wed, 6 Apr 2005 09:17:14 +0100 schrieb caroline:
>>> Really? What am I missing here? We're running SP2 on all the computers
>>> in
>>> the house without any problems whatsoever.
>>
>> Me too. I've had SP2 on since last summer, with no problems
>
> Same here :)  In fact, the system is better now than it was with SP1.
>
> Dorte

Same here.
Mind you I've got a newer HP AMD Athlon 64 system and no old software and
that might have something to do with it. (Any software worth keeping has
updates to cope with it anyway. Check their sites).
The only thing I've done, though, is to switch off the automatic updates as
I check manually for these almost daily myself. They have a habit of
interfering with gameplay otherwise!

Skeatsan''co
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 8:20:20 PM

Mxsmanic wrote:
> Jeanie writes:
>
>> You won't be able to download any updates if you turn automatic
>> updates off.
>
> So?

So I was answering the question that was asked!

Jeanie
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 8:30:41 PM

Homer J. Simpson wrote:
>> It won't be forced on my computer. I disabled automatic updates and
>> haven't
>> downloaded any of them since SP2 killed my video card and
>> motherboard last summer.
>
> Riiiiiiiiiight.
>
>> That is the most malicious piece of software I've ever seen in my
>> life. Every computer tech I know around here is telling people to
>> disable automatic updates.
>
> No wonder you believe that SP2 "killed" your video card and
> motherboard.

It's not just a thought that came into my head. Dell's technicians told me
this. I have the in-home service contract and both of the technicians they
sent out here told me the same thing. Then I started talking to local
computer shops and learned the same thing. You can believe what you want.
I want nothing to do with SP2.

Jeanie
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 8:47:11 PM

>> > Really? What am I missing here? We're running SP2 on all the
>> > computers in the house without any problems whatsoever.
>>
>> You are very fortunate.
>>

> I had SP2 installed when I got my new computer and all seems ok. I
> also installed it on my old computer and had not a single problem.
>
> Strange considering all the problems I've heard of with it.

My husband is a computer tech and has it installed on all the computers he
works with and has had 0 problems. I don't doubt that there are faults with
it and I know many people have reported problems, but it isn't the 100%
guaranteed computer death sentence that it's being portrayed as. Failing to
run critical system updates as they become available seems like the bigger
danger of the two because viruses tend to take advantage of known security
breaches. I'd recommend to anyone who isn't sure that they give SP2 a go
instead of just writing it off. Chances are that it won't destroy your
computer and that it will protect you from all sorts of nasties.
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 8:47:12 PM

> My husband is a computer tech and has it installed on all the
> computers he works with and has had 0 problems. I don't doubt that
> there are faults with it and I know many people have reported
> problems, but it isn't the 100% guaranteed computer death sentence
> that it's being portrayed as. Failing to run critical system updates
> as they become available seems like the bigger danger of the two
> because viruses tend to take advantage of known security breaches.
> I'd recommend to anyone who isn't sure that they give SP2 a go
> instead of just writing it off. Chances are that it won't destroy
> your computer and that it will protect you from all sorts of nasties.

The first time I downloaded it, it fried my video card. I replaced it and
reformatted. Reinstalled Windows XP without SP2 and disabled updates, as
per the instructions of the tech support at Dell. They said they had had
thousands of calls from customers who had actually had hardware destroyed by
this program. A few weeks later, I read on various newsgroups that MS had
fixed all the "bugs" in SP2, so I tried it again. Immediately, several
applications (including MS applications like MS Works) stopped functioning.
No amount of tweaking would help. Then it killed my motherboard.

This was an expensive lesson for me and underscored the old saying "Fool me
once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me." There won't be a third
time.

I have talked to three local computer shops and they all said the same
thing. DON'T download SP2. In fact, one of them told me he was of the
opinion that MS was doing this on purpose, screwing up computers all over
the place so we would all line up like lemmings to buy the newest version of
Windows, due for release before long, in order to fix the problems caused by
this update. That particular guy went so far as to advise me to scrap MS
products completely and move over to Linux. I didn't do that, primarily
because of the Sims2, but also because my husband would never be able to
learn a new interface.

Jeanie
April 6, 2005 8:47:13 PM

Jeanie wrote:
>>My husband is a computer tech and has it installed on all the
>>computers he works with and has had 0 problems. I don't doubt that
>>there are faults with it and I know many people have reported
>>problems, but it isn't the 100% guaranteed computer death sentence
>>that it's being portrayed as. Failing to run critical system updates
>>as they become available seems like the bigger danger of the two
>>because viruses tend to take advantage of known security breaches.
>>I'd recommend to anyone who isn't sure that they give SP2 a go
>>instead of just writing it off. Chances are that it won't destroy
>>your computer and that it will protect you from all sorts of nasties.
>

> The first time I downloaded it, it fried my video card. I replaced it and
> reformatted. Reinstalled Windows XP without SP2 and disabled updates, as
> per the instructions of the tech support at Dell. They said they had had
> thousands of calls from customers who had actually had hardware destroyed by
> this program. A few weeks later, I read on various newsgroups that MS had
> fixed all the "bugs" in SP2, so I tried it again. Immediately, several
> applications (including MS applications like MS Works) stopped functioning.
> No amount of tweaking would help. Then it killed my motherboard.
>
> This was an expensive lesson for me and underscored the old saying "Fool me
> once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me." There won't be a third
> time.
>
> I have talked to three local computer shops and they all said the same
> thing. DON'T download SP2. In fact, one of them told me he was of the
> opinion that MS was doing this on purpose, screwing up computers all over
> the place so we would all line up like lemmings to buy the newest version of
> Windows, due for release before long, in order to fix the problems caused by
> this update. That particular guy went so far as to advise me to scrap MS
> products completely and move over to Linux. I didn't do that, primarily
> because of the Sims2, but also because my husband would never be able to
> learn a new interface.
>
> Jeanie

Linux is hard, even for people in the know. My hubby works with
computers, and he had tried several different versions of Linux. He
couldn't find one that did what he wanted it to do. There was always
something missing, or some error he couldn't rectify. He's given up for
now. I ran a dual boot with Linux for a while, but one day it just
wouldn't let me into the Linux partition anymore and hubby didn't have
time for it so I said to hell with it. It was great for the internet
cause I didn't have to worry about viruses, but I have Norton and that
runs constantly. The only time I turn it off is when I am running the
Sims 2.

Ali
April 6, 2005 8:47:14 PM

ali wrote:
> [...]
>> products completely and move over to Linux. I didn't do that, primarily
>> because of the Sims2, but also because my husband would never be able to
>> learn a new interface.
>>
>> Jeanie
>>

> Linux is hard, even for people in the know. My hubby works with
> computers, and he had tried several different versions of Linux. He
> couldn't find one that did what he wanted it to do. There was always
> something missing, or some error he couldn't rectify. He's given up for
> now. I ran a dual boot with Linux for a while, but one day it just
> wouldn't let me into the Linux partition anymore and hubby didn't have
> time for it so I said to hell with it. It was great for the internet
> cause I didn't have to worry about viruses, but I have Norton and that
> runs constantly. The only time I turn it off is when I am running the

By the way I also have SP2 installed with no problems so far.

Ali
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 9:14:31 PM

"Whogus the Whatsler" <who@what.sler> wrote in message

>> It won't be forced on my computer. I disabled automatic updates and
>> haven't
>> downloaded any of them since SP2 killed my video card and motherboard
>> last
>> summer. That is the most malicious piece of software I've ever seen
>> in my
>> life. Every computer tech I know around here is telling people to
>> disable
>> automatic updates.
>>

> Really? What am I missing here? We're running SP2 on all the computers
> in the house without any problems whatsoever.

I'm running SP2 without any problems too. I've had it since day one.

Betty
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 9:16:24 PM

>>> You are very fortunate.
>>>

>> I had SP2 installed when I got my new computer and all seems ok. I
>> also installed it on my old computer and had not a single problem.
>>
>> Strange considering all the problems I've heard of with it.
>>

> My husband is a computer tech and has it installed on all the
> computers he works with and has had 0 problems. I don't doubt that
> there are faults with it and I know many people have reported
> problems, but it isn't the 100% guaranteed computer death sentence
> that it's being portrayed as. Failing to run critical system updates
> as they become available seems like the bigger danger of the two
> because viruses tend to take advantage of known security breaches. I'd
> recommend to anyone who isn't sure that they give SP2 a go instead of
> just writing it off. Chances are that it won't destroy your computer
> and that it will protect you from all sorts of nasties.

I agree 100%. There are just too many viruses and junk, I took my
chances with SP2 &
glad I did.

Betty
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 9:23:55 PM

Whogus the Whatsler writes:

> My husband is a computer tech and has it installed on all the computers he
> works with and has had 0 problems.

What applications are running on these computers?

April 6, 2005 9:23:56 PM

I've had SP2 for awhile now, no problems, except they now want to control my
firewall, and I get a network timeout when the program can't connect through
my firewall. I click "repair" and it connects. Other than that, I've barely
noticed. I run typical office apps, and the Sims. A couple other games.

"Mxsmanic" <mxsmanic@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Whogus the Whatsler writes:
>
>> My husband is a computer tech and has it installed on all the computers
>> he
>> works with and has had 0 problems.
>
> What applications are running on these computers?
>
> --
> Transpose hotmail and mxsmanic in my e-mail address to reach me directly.
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 9:24:45 PM

Skeatsan''co writes:

> Any software worth keeping has
> updates to cope with it anyway.

The updates are usually _upgrades_, and they are almost never free.

April 7, 2005 12:48:55 AM

Madame Mim wrote:

> I have my XP set to notify me of updates, and then I
> select expert installation and refuse to install SP2,
> even though I have been notified of it at least 6 times.

You won't be able to refuse it after April 12th, that's why I'm
making all this noise. So I think you should back everything up
and/or stop the automatic updates altogether.

T.
Anonymous
April 7, 2005 12:51:10 AM

> Whogus the Whatsler

That is such a beautiful nick.

> > Vecki wrote:
> > I had SP2 installed when I got my new computer and all
> > seems ok. I also installed it on my old computer and
> > had not a single problem.

New systems are no problem. I worried about my current one.

> Failing to run critical system updates as
> they become available seems like the bigger danger of the
> two because viruses tend to take advantage of known
> security breaches.

Which is why I use Firefox.

T.
Anonymous
April 7, 2005 3:28:46 AM

>> You won't be able to download any updates if you turn
>> automatic updates off. Going to the page to download them
>> one at a time hasn't been possible for a while, because
>> it's set to download SP2 first. But, take it from me,
>> you won't miss the updates. I have none and am running
>> just fine.
>
> That might be dangerous... but I'm using Firefox, which helps.
> And AVG and ZoneAlarm... I really should switch to another
> mail/newsreader, but I love it to have mail and news in one
> program.
>
> Thank you.
>
> T.

I use Firefox, too, have for months now. I also use Thunderbird for email,
but it had a tendency to time out when I tried it for newsgroups. Some have
good luck with it. You can check out Forte Agent, too. Free Agent is good
for newsgroups, but you have to pay for it in order to use it for email,
too.

Jeanie
April 7, 2005 3:31:53 AM

I've had SP2 since it came out on my old computer. When I got the new one it
was installed.
NO problems with either computer or software. I don't understand this, MS
would have tons of law suits if it was doing all this damage. And aren't we
All clamoring for MS to Plug the Holes???
Sage

>> It won't be forced on my computer. I disabled automatic updates and
>> haven't
>> downloaded any of them since SP2 killed my video card and motherboard
>> last
>> summer.
>
> Riiiiiiiiiight.
>
>> That is the most malicious piece of software I've ever seen in my
>> life. Every computer tech I know around here is telling people to
>> disable
>> automatic updates.
>
> No wonder you believe that SP2 "killed" your video card and motherboard.

Anonymous
April 7, 2005 9:28:31 AM

Homer J. Simpson writes:

> There's no code in SP2 that can fry a video card. How would this work,
> exactly? Overclock it?

You can fry some video cards by loading control registers with
inappropriate parameters, the same is true for monitors, although that's
less of a problem today since many monitors simply won't accept bad
parameters.

I can't imagine why SP2 or any other software would do this, though.
It's very low-level programming that nothing other than a device driver
would ever come near.

> Don't expect Longhorn before late 2006.

Why would anyone care about Longhorn?

> Is this in MS's best interest?

There's no other reason for Longhorn.

April 7, 2005 1:37:58 PM

>> There's no code in SP2 that can fry a video card. How would this work,
>> exactly? Overclock it?
>
> You can fry some video cards by loading control registers with
> inappropriate parameters, the same is true for monitors, although that's
> less of a problem today since many monitors simply won't accept bad
> parameters.
>
> I can't imagine why SP2 or any other software would do this, though.

My point exactly.

> It's very low-level programming that nothing other than a device driver
> would ever come near.

....and (I can't confirm without trying it out) SP2 is highly unlikely to
replace a proprietary driver.

>> Don't expect Longhorn before late 2006.
>
> Why would anyone care about Longhorn?

That was part of Jeanie's conspiracy theory--quote:

> MS was doing this on purpose, screwing up computers all over
> the place so we would all line up like lemmings to buy the newest version
> of
> Windows, due for release before long, in order to fix the problems caused
> by
> this update

I was pointing out that--even in bizarro world where such a conspiracy would
be true--it wouldn't be in MS's best interest to introduce such problems in
an XP service pack *now* when Longhorn is still nowhere near complete.
Anonymous
April 7, 2005 1:58:01 PM

> I've had SP2 since it came out on my old computer. When I got the new one
> it was installed.
> NO problems with either computer or software. I don't understand this, MS
> would have tons of law suits if it was doing all this damage. And aren't
> we All clamoring for MS to Plug the Holes???

Exactly!! On one hand, before SP2 came out, people got pissed that MS
couldn't come up with fixes fast enough, then they got pissed that they had
updates downloading on a weekly if not daily basis. Then MS came out with
SP2, and people are staying away from it...which is it gonna be?
Anonymous
April 7, 2005 2:14:55 PM

>released, and subsequent hotfixes have also been released to take care of
>further problems--you have to start questioning those people's advice. At
>the very least, it's downright irresponsible. SP2 plugs *a lot* of security
>holes, and there's very little excuse for Joe Consumer not to have it

Which security holes are those? Every viruskiller and anti-spyware
program known to man have been run on my computer and nothing wrong
has ever been found. I don't use Internet Explorer, Outlook, Office
or any other Microsoft program except Windows itself, so why do I need
it?
Anonymous
April 7, 2005 2:14:56 PM

>>released, and subsequent hotfixes have also been released to take care of
>>further problems--you have to start questioning those people's advice. At
>>the very least, it's downright irresponsible. SP2 plugs *a lot* of
>>security
>>holes, and there's very little excuse for Joe Consumer not to have it
>
> Which security holes are those?

LOL, you should hang out on Slashdot for a day.

> Every viruskiller and anti-spyware
> program known to man have been run on my computer and nothing wrong
> has ever been found.

Virus killers/anti-spyware don't look for security holes, they look for,
well, viruses and spyware. The fact that you don't have them on a machine
doesn't mean the vulnerabilities don't exist. There is such a thing as
being proactive.

> I don't use Internet Explorer, Outlook, Office
> or any other Microsoft program except Windows itself, so why do I need
> it?

Because of security holes in core components that *do* get used by Windows
itself? Before SP2 came out hotfixes were being posted on a weekly
basis--look them up if you're bored. They don't *all* have to do with IE,
Outlook or Office. Nowadays MS has eased off their hotfix release schedule
to one a month.

Oh, and lookie here, MS put together a cute Top Ten reasons for installing
SP2 marketing schpiel right here:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/topten.mspx

Tell you what: my home machine isn't even connected to the net, nor does it
even have a modem (dialup or highspeed). It's totally offline. Yet I
installed SP2 as soon as I could get my hands on the final build. Security
sure isn't an issue for that particular machine, but SP2 still got rid of
plenty of quirks my system had developed over time. Whenever
friends/family/acquaintances ask for help with their XP machines, the first
thing I do is install SP2 if they don't already have it (well...after
cleaning up all the viruses/spyware they've been collecting before SP2).
Anonymous
April 7, 2005 4:32:36 PM

>> You can believe what you want. I want nothing to do with SP2.
>
> So, what's the alternative? Leave your system open to attack, and let it
> become a spambot or DDOS zombie?
>
> This may sound bitter from my end...don't get the wrong impression, there
> *are* decent people working for the mom-and-pop shops or the Dells or HPs
> of the world. They just don't fill the first-level support jobs. The
> qualified people are the ones making sure their systems can support SP2
> and doing the migrations.

Don't be so nasty about HP. ;)

I had bought my HP just before SP2 came out but the computer immediately
connected with me to update my software and hardware to support it via their
Automatic update facility. One reason not to immediately wipe out
proprietory spy software I suppose.

Mine's a smashing little computer. (Till the next big thing arrives or
Sims4)!!

I agree with not upgrading older computers with old hardware but I wouldn't
connect them directly to the internet. My ISP went round checking every
users security a little while ago and some people found that they were
summarily cut off without warning as they weren't aware of being used.

Skeatsan''co
Anonymous
April 7, 2005 4:56:08 PM

In fact, one of them told me he was of the
> opinion that MS was doing this on purpose, screwing up computers all over
> the place so we would all line up like lemmings to buy the newest version
> of
> Windows, due for release before long, in order to fix the problems caused
> by
> this update.

LMAO

So, in a nutshell, you believe that Microsoft, whilst under the microscope
for anti-competitive behaviour, has released a patch to sabotage their own
operating system so that when their new one is released _in 18 months time_
the "lemmings" will buy it as they will harbour no grudge over the fact that
they had to replace xteen parts in their old system that were fried by a
previous Microsoft release? And the fact that this theory was supplied by
employees of Dell - the company that provided all the faulty hardware -
raised no flags with you?

If the SP2 release date coincided with Longhorn's release date, the Dell
Conspiracy Theorists might even become believable to the moronic and feeble
minded but with no immediate release date it makes no sense whatsoever. If
MS did purposely fry everyone's motherboard and video card without having an
alternative system immediately there for people to shift to, the more likely
result would be people changing to alternative OSs. That's something
Microsoft would certainly NOT want. Like them, hate them, whatever, you have
you acknowledge that poor marketing sense is not one of their faults or they
simply wouldn't be where they are today.

Not to cast aspersions on your local computer shop guys, but there are some
absolute boneheads working in the industry. Just because they can afford to
rent floor space, put a sign up saying "Computer Shop" and stock it with
machines doesn't make them experts on anything.
Anonymous
April 7, 2005 5:20:01 PM

"Taemon" <Taemon@zonnet.nl> wrote in message
>> Whogus the Whatsler
>
> That is such a beautiful nick.

Thanks :)  I was sick of being Iris McAlias.
Anonymous
April 19, 2005 3:51:04 PM

"ali" <babaonthenet@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Jeanie wrote:
> I ran a dual boot with Linux for a while, but one day it just wouldn't let
> me into the Linux partition anymore and hubby didn't have time for it so I
> said to hell with it. It was great for the internet cause I didn't have
> to worry about viruses...

This is an attitude that occasionally causes trouble for Linux users. Linux
viruses are a lot less common than Windows viruses, but they DO exist.
Linux users have to be aware of this, and not assume that Linux is magically
virus-proof.
Anonymous
April 19, 2005 4:03:31 PM

> Microsoft still thinks SP2 is a good idea. In fact, they love it
> so much that they want us all to share. By April 12th, it will be
> forced on your computer. Make back-ups of everything you have! It
> might be clean install time.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/smallbusiness/products/os/winx...
>
> Be afraid.
>
> T.

In most Windows XP machines, SP2 works fine and has worked fine since it was
first released. I'm responsible for a dozen XP machines and all have SP2
working fine.

SP2 has a few hardware issues, but the bulk of of issues SP2 has are
programs that aren't given access to the Internet or the network by default
anymore. The user (or the IT guy responsible for the computer) has to know
which applications need access and have to specifically alllow access.
Either you have to explicitly grant and deny permissions to programs, or you
have to live with the security holes that arise from this being done
automatically.

The next bigges issues with SP2 are with 3rd party Firewalls and Anti-Virus
solutions. To begin with, SP2 couldn't detect or monitor third party
programs, and might tell you that you have no Anti-Virus program, or try to
run Windows Firewall on top of your third party firewall. In the short
term, you can tell the SP2 Security Center that you have a Firewall or
Anti-Virus that you will monitor yourself, and to stop telling you that you
don't have one. However, most Firewall and Anti-Virus vendors have updated
their products to work with the Security Center now.
Anonymous
April 20, 2005 8:22:07 PM

Schfooge wrote:

> "Taemon" <Taemon@zonnet.nl> wrote in message
>> Microsoft still thinks SP2 is a good idea. In fact, they love
>> it
>> so much that they want us all to share. By April 12th, it will
>> be
>> forced on your computer. Make back-ups of everything you have!
>> It
>> might be clean install time.
> In most Windows XP machines, SP2 works fine and has worked fine
> since
> it was first released. I'm responsible for a dozen XP machines
> and
> all have SP2 working fine.

Well, it seemed I had no choice so I back-upped and installed.
Everything went fine. So I have unjumped the dance, as the Dutch
say. And I haven't heard anyone else here screaming so I seems
we're save again. What a relief! I was really worried.

T.
!