Danger! Danger!

Taemon wrote:
> Microsoft still thinks SP2 is a good idea. In fact, they love it
> so much that they want us all to share. By April 12th, it will be
> forced on your computer. Make back-ups of everything you have! It
> might be clean install time.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/smallbusiness/products/os/winxp/sp2/hub.mspx
>
> Be afraid.
>
> T.

It won't be forced on my computer. I disabled automatic updates and haven't
downloaded any of them since SP2 killed my video card and motherboard last
summer. That is the most malicious piece of software I've ever seen in my
life. Every computer tech I know around here is telling people to disable
automatic updates.

Jeanie

Jeanie wrote:
> Whogus the Whatsler wrote:
> >> It won't be forced on my computer. I disabled automatic updates
and
> >> haven't
> >> downloaded any of them since SP2 killed my video card and
> >> motherboard last summer. That is the most malicious piece of
> >> software I've ever seen in my life. Every computer tech I know
> >> around here is telling people to disable automatic updates.
> >>

> > Really? What am I missing here? We're running SP2 on all the
> > computers in the house without any problems whatsoever.
>
> You are very fortunate.

I had SP2 installed when I got my new computer and all seems ok. I
also installed it on my old computer and had not a single problem.

Strange considering all the problems I've heard of with it.

~*~
vecki

Taemon writes:

> Microsoft still thinks SP2 is a good idea. In fact, they love it
> so much that they want us all to share. By April 12th, it will be
> forced on your computer.

Only if you have automatic updates turned on.

Jeanie writes:

> You won't be able to download any updates if you turn automatic updates off.

So?

> But, take it from me, you
> won't miss the updates. I have none and am running just fine.

Same here.

> It won't be forced on my computer. I disabled automatic updates and
> haven't
> downloaded any of them since SP2 killed my video card and motherboard last
> summer.

Riiiiiiiiiight.

> That is the most malicious piece of software I've ever seen in my
> life. Every computer tech I know around here is telling people to disable
> automatic updates.

No wonder you believe that SP2 "killed" your video card and motherboard.

Whogus the Whatsler wrote:
>> It won't be forced on my computer. I disabled automatic updates and
>> haven't
>> downloaded any of them since SP2 killed my video card and
>> motherboard last summer. That is the most malicious piece of
>> software I've ever seen in my life. Every computer tech I know
>> around here is telling people to disable automatic updates.
>>

> Really? What am I missing here? We're running SP2 on all the
> computers in the house without any problems whatsoever.

You are very fortunate.

Jeanie

"Whogus the Whatsler" wrote

>> It won't be forced on my computer. I disabled automatic updates and
>> haven't
>> downloaded any of them since SP2 killed my video card and motherboard
>> last
>> summer. That is the most malicious piece of software I've ever seen in
>> my
>> life. Every computer tech I know around here is telling people to
>> disable
>> automatic updates.

> Really? What am I missing here? We're running SP2 on all the computers in
> the house without any problems whatsoever.

Me too. I've had SP2 on since last summer, with no problems

Am Wed, 6 Apr 2005 09:17:14 +0100 schrieb caroline:
>> Really? What am I missing here? We're running SP2 on all the computers in
>> the house without any problems whatsoever.
>
> Me too. I've had SP2 on since last summer, with no problems

Same here :) In fact, the system is better now than it was with SP1.

Dorte

"Dorte Schünecke" <schueneckeDELETE@web.de> wrote in message
> Am Wed, 6 Apr 2005 09:17:14 +0100 schrieb caroline:
>>> Really? What am I missing here? We're running SP2 on all the computers
>>> in
>>> the house without any problems whatsoever.
>>
>> Me too. I've had SP2 on since last summer, with no problems
>
> Same here :) In fact, the system is better now than it was with SP1.
>
> Dorte

Same here.
Mind you I've got a newer HP AMD Athlon 64 system and no old software and
that might have something to do with it. (Any software worth keeping has
updates to cope with it anyway. Check their sites).
The only thing I've done, though, is to switch off the automatic updates as
I check manually for these almost daily myself. They have a habit of
interfering with gameplay otherwise!

Skeatsan''co

Mxsmanic wrote:
> Jeanie writes:
>
>> You won't be able to download any updates if you turn automatic
>> updates off.
>
> So?

So I was answering the question that was asked!

Jeanie

Homer J. Simpson wrote:
>> It won't be forced on my computer. I disabled automatic updates and
>> haven't
>> downloaded any of them since SP2 killed my video card and
>> motherboard last summer.
>
> Riiiiiiiiiight.
>
>> That is the most malicious piece of software I've ever seen in my
>> life. Every computer tech I know around here is telling people to
>> disable automatic updates.
>
> No wonder you believe that SP2 "killed" your video card and
> motherboard.

It's not just a thought that came into my head. Dell's technicians told me
this. I have the in-home service contract and both of the technicians they
sent out here told me the same thing. Then I started talking to local
computer shops and learned the same thing. You can believe what you want.
I want nothing to do with SP2.

Jeanie

>> > Really? What am I missing here? We're running SP2 on all the
>> > computers in the house without any problems whatsoever.
>>
>> You are very fortunate.
>>

> I had SP2 installed when I got my new computer and all seems ok. I
> also installed it on my old computer and had not a single problem.
>
> Strange considering all the problems I've heard of with it.

My husband is a computer tech and has it installed on all the computers he
works with and has had 0 problems. I don't doubt that there are faults with
it and I know many people have reported problems, but it isn't the 100%
guaranteed computer death sentence that it's being portrayed as. Failing to
run critical system updates as they become available seems like the bigger
danger of the two because viruses tend to take advantage of known security
breaches. I'd recommend to anyone who isn't sure that they give SP2 a go
instead of just writing it off. Chances are that it won't destroy your
computer and that it will protect you from all sorts of nasties.

> My husband is a computer tech and has it installed on all the
> computers he works with and has had 0 problems. I don't doubt that
> there are faults with it and I know many people have reported
> problems, but it isn't the 100% guaranteed computer death sentence
> that it's being portrayed as. Failing to run critical system updates
> as they become available seems like the bigger danger of the two
> because viruses tend to take advantage of known security breaches.
> I'd recommend to anyone who isn't sure that they give SP2 a go
> instead of just writing it off. Chances are that it won't destroy
> your computer and that it will protect you from all sorts of nasties.

The first time I downloaded it, it fried my video card. I replaced it and
reformatted. Reinstalled Windows XP without SP2 and disabled updates, as
per the instructions of the tech support at Dell. They said they had had
thousands of calls from customers who had actually had hardware destroyed by
this program. A few weeks later, I read on various newsgroups that MS had
fixed all the "bugs" in SP2, so I tried it again. Immediately, several
applications (including MS applications like MS Works) stopped functioning.
No amount of tweaking would help. Then it killed my motherboard.

This was an expensive lesson for me and underscored the old saying "Fool me
once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me." There won't be a third
time.

I have talked to three local computer shops and they all said the same
thing. DON'T download SP2. In fact, one of them told me he was of the
opinion that MS was doing this on purpose, screwing up computers all over
the place so we would all line up like lemmings to buy the newest version of
Windows, due for release before long, in order to fix the problems caused by
this update. That particular guy went so far as to advise me to scrap MS
products completely and move over to Linux. I didn't do that, primarily
because of the Sims2, but also because my husband would never be able to
learn a new interface.

Jeanie

ali

Jeanie wrote:
>>My husband is a computer tech and has it installed on all the
>>computers he works with and has had 0 problems. I don't doubt that
>>there are faults with it and I know many people have reported
>>problems, but it isn't the 100% guaranteed computer death sentence
>>that it's being portrayed as. Failing to run critical system updates
>>as they become available seems like the bigger danger of the two
>>because viruses tend to take advantage of known security breaches.
>>I'd recommend to anyone who isn't sure that they give SP2 a go
>>instead of just writing it off. Chances are that it won't destroy
>>your computer and that it will protect you from all sorts of nasties.
>

> The first time I downloaded it, it fried my video card. I replaced it and
> reformatted. Reinstalled Windows XP without SP2 and disabled updates, as
> per the instructions of the tech support at Dell. They said they had had
> thousands of calls from customers who had actually had hardware destroyed by
> this program. A few weeks later, I read on various newsgroups that MS had
> fixed all the "bugs" in SP2, so I tried it again. Immediately, several
> applications (including MS applications like MS Works) stopped functioning.
> No amount of tweaking would help. Then it killed my motherboard.
>
> This was an expensive lesson for me and underscored the old saying "Fool me
> once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me." There won't be a third
> time.
>
> I have talked to three local computer shops and they all said the same
> thing. DON'T download SP2. In fact, one of them told me he was of the
> opinion that MS was doing this on purpose, screwing up computers all over
> the place so we would all line up like lemmings to buy the newest version of
> Windows, due for release before long, in order to fix the problems caused by
> this update. That particular guy went so far as to advise me to scrap MS
> products completely and move over to Linux. I didn't do that, primarily
> because of the Sims2, but also because my husband would never be able to
> learn a new interface.
>
> Jeanie

Linux is hard, even for people in the know. My hubby works with
computers, and he had tried several different versions of Linux. He
couldn't find one that did what he wanted it to do. There was always
something missing, or some error he couldn't rectify. He's given up for
now. I ran a dual boot with Linux for a while, but one day it just
wouldn't let me into the Linux partition anymore and hubby didn't have
time for it so I said to hell with it. It was great for the internet
cause I didn't have to worry about viruses, but I have Norton and that
runs constantly. The only time I turn it off is when I am running the
Sims 2.

Ali

ali

ali wrote:
> [...]
>> products completely and move over to Linux. I didn't do that, primarily
>> because of the Sims2, but also because my husband would never be able to
>> learn a new interface.
>>
>> Jeanie
>>

> Linux is hard, even for people in the know. My hubby works with
> computers, and he had tried several different versions of Linux. He
> couldn't find one that did what he wanted it to do. There was always
> something missing, or some error he couldn't rectify. He's given up for
> now. I ran a dual boot with Linux for a while, but one day it just
> wouldn't let me into the Linux partition anymore and hubby didn't have
> time for it so I said to hell with it. It was great for the internet
> cause I didn't have to worry about viruses, but I have Norton and that
> runs constantly. The only time I turn it off is when I am running the

By the way I also have SP2 installed with no problems so far.

Ali

"Whogus the Whatsler" <who@what.sler> wrote in message

>> It won't be forced on my computer. I disabled automatic updates and
>> haven't
>> downloaded any of them since SP2 killed my video card and motherboard
>> last
>> summer. That is the most malicious piece of software I've ever seen
>> in my
>> life. Every computer tech I know around here is telling people to
>> disable
>> automatic updates.
>>

> Really? What am I missing here? We're running SP2 on all the computers
> in the house without any problems whatsoever.

I'm running SP2 without any problems too. I've had it since day one.

Betty

>>> You are very fortunate.
>>>

>> I had SP2 installed when I got my new computer and all seems ok. I
>> also installed it on my old computer and had not a single problem.
>>
>> Strange considering all the problems I've heard of with it.
>>

> My husband is a computer tech and has it installed on all the
> computers he works with and has had 0 problems. I don't doubt that
> there are faults with it and I know many people have reported
> problems, but it isn't the 100% guaranteed computer death sentence
> that it's being portrayed as. Failing to run critical system updates
> as they become available seems like the bigger danger of the two
> because viruses tend to take advantage of known security breaches. I'd
> recommend to anyone who isn't sure that they give SP2 a go instead of
> just writing it off. Chances are that it won't destroy your computer
> and that it will protect you from all sorts of nasties.

I agree 100%. There are just too many viruses and junk, I took my
chances with SP2 &
glad I did.

Betty

Whogus the Whatsler writes:

> My husband is a computer tech and has it installed on all the computers he
> works with and has had 0 problems.

What applications are running on these computers?

I've had SP2 for awhile now, no problems, except they now want to control my
firewall, and I get a network timeout when the program can't connect through
my firewall. I click "repair" and it connects. Other than that, I've barely
noticed. I run typical office apps, and the Sims. A couple other games.

Skeatsan''co writes:

> Any software worth keeping has
> updates to cope with it anyway.

The updates are usually _upgrades_, and they are almost never free.

Madame Mim wrote:

> I have my XP set to notify me of updates, and then I
> select expert installation and refuse to install SP2,
> even though I have been notified of it at least 6 times.

You won't be able to refuse it after April 12th, that's why I'm
making all this noise. So I think you should back everything up
and/or stop the automatic updates altogether.

T.

> Whogus the Whatsler

That is such a beautiful nick.

> > Vecki wrote:
> > I had SP2 installed when I got my new computer and all
> > seems ok. I also installed it on my old computer and
> > had not a single problem.

New systems are no problem. I worried about my current one.

> Failing to run critical system updates as
> they become available seems like the bigger danger of the
> two because viruses tend to take advantage of known
> security breaches.

Which is why I use Firefox.

T.

>> You won't be able to download any updates if you turn
>> automatic updates off. Going to the page to download them
>> one at a time hasn't been possible for a while, because
>> it's set to download SP2 first. But, take it from me,
>> you won't miss the updates. I have none and am running
>> just fine.
>
> That might be dangerous... but I'm using Firefox, which helps.
> And AVG and ZoneAlarm... I really should switch to another
> mail/newsreader, but I love it to have mail and news in one
> program.
>
> Thank you.
>
> T.

I use Firefox, too, have for months now. I also use Thunderbird for email,
but it had a tendency to time out when I tried it for newsgroups. Some have
good luck with it. You can check out Forte Agent, too. Free Agent is good
for newsgroups, but you have to pay for it in order to use it for email,
too.

Jeanie