1.7 GHz and 2.4 GHz Celeron

Hi all, I just got a computer real cheap that I'll be using to basically tinker with and maybe set up for internet connection sharing, nothing extreme lol

It has a 1.7GHz Celeron processor. I have a spare 2.4GHz Celeron processor that I'm not entirely sure still works (it might but not entirely sure).

Just wanted to know would I notice much performance difference by changing the CPU?

I got this for real cheap (almost free and I already have 1 good PC and 1 okayish PC) so not really wanting to spend more than £5 on this one hence why I dont wanna upgrade to a Pentium or something. Besides the £5 is being spent on a gigabit ethernet card lol :)

Other specs: 1GB DDR RAM (233MHz), 400MHz FSB (I think... but since the RAM is slower, it probably wont make much difference), Windows XP Home and Mandriva 2009 for dual booting.

So in short, would I notice much difference going from a 1.7GHz Celeron to a 2.4GHz Celeron? Thanks all!! :D
4 answers Last reply
More about celeron
  1. You would be best getting the 400Mhz ram and making sure that the 2.4Ghz celeron fits the same Socket. But saying this means the RAM is not cheap these days for DDR 1GB....
  2. aceadam said:
    You would be best getting the 400Mhz ram and making sure that the 2.4Ghz celeron fits the same Socket. But saying this means the RAM is not cheap these days for DDR 1GB....

I completely disagree with your assessment.

To the OP, whether or not the cpu will work really depends on if it is a northwood core or a newer Prescott Celeron D. The Northwood celerons were all 128K L2 cache and used 400MHz fsb, while the Celeron D had 256kb L2 and 533 fsb. The Northwood celeron should work and provide a modest yet noticeable improvement. The Prescott Celeron D will likely not work. So, I guess it depends on which 2.4GHz Celeron you have: Northwood or Prescott?
  3. Thanks Joe :)

Its an older Celeron, the cores for both are the same so I dont think there will be a compatibility issue. If the improvement is noticeable, I guess I'll give it a shot upgrading the CPU. Never done it before though lol better go get some CPU grease :P

Aceadam, thanks for your reply too :) Though a RAM upgrade would be nice, I dont plan to use this PC for anything other than internet browsing and connection sharing mainly so dont wanna spend any money at all lol DDR RAM is not as cheap as it once was :??:

Thanks for your inputs! I'll give the upgrade a shot :D Wish me luck!!
  4. You can always post the computer/motherboard details and should be able to look it up. I gave an old 2.4 celery to my mate and was fine for most things. The only thing I noticed that was really lacking is on the multi tasking front. My old Athlon would happily compress a dvd and let me browse the web., whereas the celery would slow to a crawl on the encoding whilst browsing.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Celeron Internet Connection