Question about 955 B.E and voltage/temperature

sung715

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2011
Hello,

I recently built a computer with this build: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/302109-31-going-spend-gaming#t2242107

I overclocked using the black edition guide stickied at the top, but noticed that I have never had trouble booting my operating system.

My cpu is at 4.0ghz with the voltage set at 1.40v in the bios (Nothing else changed). The temperature I'm getting is 32c IDLE and 50c under 100% load on Prime95.

However, my voltage on CPU-Z appears to be 1.440v IDLE and 1.488v under 100% load on Prime95.

The AMD website states that the safe range is 0.850-1.40V and the guide says 1.45v should be the maximum. So I'm at a loss to why my voltage is increasing so high when I set it at 1.40v.

Can you guys offer me some advice as to what I should do with this? Thanks in advance

EDIT:

from looking at more forum threads here, I was able to find out that C3 stepping having a lower max voltage compared to C2 is probably a typo. (since 1.5 was the limit for C2)

and I also found out that it's more about maintaining control over heat. so far, my hyper 212 with dual fan setup is keeping mine below 50c at load.
any additional comments on this would be helpful

stingstang

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
That voltage looks normal. The voltage set in the BIOS usually isn't what's going to be the actual voltage while the computer is running. If you have anything in the BIOS that says "Turbo" or "A.I. Overclock" then disable it. That might be causing the voltage to adjust itself for stability. 1.488v won't harm the CPU at those temperatures.

ahthurungnone

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2010
Quad core Phenoms, like yours, will generate less heat than a Hexa core which is why the voltage is more on a quad core and less on a hexa core.

I've overclocked Dual cores (above 4.0Ghz) and Hexa cores (above 4.0Ghz) and never seen temps that high. Personally, I think your cpu fan is inadequate. 50C is very high!!! I never see reached 45C even at 4.2Ghz and extremely high voltage.

My opinion: You should invest in a better cpu fan. Do some research. Go to Frostytech.com and find the best cooling you can afford. You don't need liquid cooling as I am not convinced that most liquid cooling does anything more than good air coolers. Let me know how it works out.

FYI: I use the Tuniq Tower Extreme and it is awesome!

sung715

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2011
Well... I bought the fan after doing research... I thought hyper 212+ was supposed to be a good hsf...

So it looks like I'm getting conflicting answers.. whether my temp is good or not.

darkchazz

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
It IS good , you don't have to worry about it at all.
I have the same cpu but with C2 stepping , and I need 1.45v just for 3.8ghz , I read somewhere that you shouldn't go above 1.55.

The temps for me are 26c idle (Cn'Q ftw!) and ~51c load , AMD's website states that the max temp for this cpu is 62c , so as long as you stay below that you're good.

TRENDING THREADS