Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Green screen

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 9, 2009 5:35:51 PM

Hi,

i was just surfing youtube with windows live msgr and win media plyr open and my screen went green it was green vertical lines. system was still running all fans ect, i had to hit the power button to restart and everything seems fine now. one thing to note was i also had folding@home running the GPU cliant, it uses 99% of the processor power and runs at 58c-62c it was running all day. the graphics card is 1 week old(radeon HD3870 1024mb) and im thinking its faulty.never had a problem like this before, should i RMA the card or do you think it was just the folding cliant that caused this?? i cant think of anything else that could have caused this.

i would love to hear everyones thoughts on this

Thanks, Eoin

More about : green screen

May 9, 2009 5:36:33 PM

Update:

I just had another display failure. this time i had just turned the pc on and started playing The Last Remnant( all other apps were shut down) when my monitor sudenly said their was no display signal and went to sleep. the game audio continued in the backround for a minute and i heard a windows prompt sound(guess it was telling me that something was wrong) had to hit the power button again and now it seems fine again, gpu at restart was 41c idle. i cant believe this im so bumbed out, my new system is falling apart... NOO as im typeing i just got another error with ati catalyst control center host application has encounterd a problem and need to close its dieing help please gona see what i can find in error logs, will post soon

May 9, 2009 5:38:12 PM

Details
ID: 5000
Source: .NET Runtime 2.0 Error Reporting

EventType clr20r3, P1 ccc.exe, P2 2.0.0.0, P3 469cdc9c, P4 mscorlib, P5 2.0.0.0, P6 492b834a, P7 13ac, P8 34, P9 system.objectdisposedexception, P10 NIL.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

this is the only error around the time of the no display signal error and microsoft have no info on it.

and this was around the time of the green screen, it's folding@home

Faulting application fahcore_11.exe, version 0.0.0.0, faulting module amdcalrt.dll, version 6.14.10.103, fault address 0x00056983.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

microsoft also have no info on this

what should i do???? is my graphics card bust???can this be fixed???
whats happening to my new system
Related resources
May 9, 2009 5:38:48 PM

If folding@home is still using your card whilst you are using it then it could be being caused because the GPU memory is saturated with the folding@home application. I have similar issues with CUDA based BOINC applications. I find that if you do not allow the GPU to run whilst the computer is in use by a user, then it is fine.
May 9, 2009 5:40:13 PM

again after 10 min playing The Last remnant i got the no display signal problem and the audio went into a loop this time. it seems to be getting worse and more regular. it all started with the green screen yesterday. im currently backing up all my data and have a spare 500g hdd im going to install a fresh os on to see if maybe its a corrup dll or some bad files i really dont know what else to do.

only other thing to note was yesterday i ran win updates and got the new IE8 and NET framwork 3.5. and installed cysis, crysis warhead, crysis wars and the EA download manager+gamespy comrade app's that come with. i also installed The last remnant and steam app it came with. apart from that nothing has been changed prior to the green screen. could one of these caused the issue??

i thought maybe the graphics card just couldnt cope with the games but the fact that i got the green screen while just surfing the net would suggest this is not the case

the system was running like a dream up until the green screen, never had any issues at all.
now it jsut keeps dieing every ten min when i try playing games
May 9, 2009 5:48:38 PM

Hammeh said:
If folding@home is still using your card whilst you are using it then it could be being caused because the GPU memory is saturated with the folding@home application. I have similar issues with CUDA based BOINC applications. I find that if you do not allow the GPU to run whilst the computer is in use by a user, then it is fine.

iv uninstalled folding@home yesterday and now im getting the no display signal problem:( 
May 9, 2009 6:39:43 PM

Well 62C temp under full load is a good temperature so it probably isnt that. Although, it is worth opening the case and making sure everything is connected including the fan and the card is dust free.
What power supply are you using? The graphics card you have requires 450W, if you do not have enough power it would explain everything. The easiest way to find out is to remove the side cover of your computer and read the sticker on the side of the PSU. Post here the wattage and the amps on the +12V rail.
May 9, 2009 6:55:55 PM

iv got this power supply, only 2 weeks old along witht the card. http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=337116&view=detail...

the amp on the +12v1 rail is 21amp the +12v2 rail is 22amp and the -12v rail is 0.6 amp.

iv no idea what any of that means but does that help??

i agree about the temp, it should be good up to 80c+
iv just checked to make sure it is sitting right and all looks good all cables firmly in place. their is a bit of dust at the base of the heatsink but cant get at it without removeing the heatsink and im sure that would void any warrenty so....

one thing to note is this card was a demo i got from Komplett.ie it was used for testing en such but has full warrenty. its the second demo iv got as the first was faulty and i got a refund and purchased this card which also seems faulty lol think il just buy brand new cards from now on, the savings are not worth the hassle:p 
May 9, 2009 7:40:39 PM

ok so im going to build a new os on another hdd to see if maybe this is a sorftware/driver issue rather then physical hardware. il take about 1h30min and then run some games and see what happens.il post back then

fingers crossed.

and thanks for your replys Hammeh much appreciated.
May 9, 2009 8:48:24 PM

Your power supply is more than enough to support the card that you are using. After considering all of the options, I would say that it is a hardware fault. Worst case senario it could be an issue with the PCI-E x16 slot that the card connects into which would require a new mobo, this is a possible answer to why 2 cards have both had problems. On the other hand, the cards could just be damaged.
I myself would buy a new card first, as it is cheaper than replacing the mobo and then if the problem still occurs, replace the mobo. At least in that case you will know its not the card and you will end up with a possibly better card!

I really hope you get it sorted out, it is a real pain when things like this happen. I would defiantely recommend that you buy a brand new card from a respectable brand. Also from my experience, nVidia cards suffer less problems because they have better drivers.

You can have a look at nVidia cards direct from their website:
http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/compare_and_buy_nvidia_products_uk.html - UK
http://www.nvidia.com/object/graphics_cards_buy_now.html - USA

Your PSU is good enough to support any card up to the lower end GTX 200 series!! but they are costly so it is really a decision of deciding on a budget and getting the best card you can which your PSU will support. Don't forget, just in case, do not blow all your money incase it is a mobo fault in which case you may want to seek someone elses help because I am clueless!!

Hammeh
May 10, 2009 12:51:59 AM

Hammeh said:
Your power supply is more than enough to support the card that you are using. After considering all of the options, I would say that it is a hardware fault. Worst case senario it could be an issue with the PCI-E x16 slot that the card connects into which would require a new mobo, this is a possible answer to why 2 cards have both had problems. On the other hand, the cards could just be damaged.
I myself would buy a new card first, as it is cheaper than replacing the mobo and then if the problem still occurs, replace the mobo. At least in that case you will know its not the card and you will end up with a possibly better card!

I really hope you get it sorted out, it is a real pain when things like this happen. I would defiantely recommend that you buy a brand new card from a respectable brand. Also from my experience, nVidia cards suffer less problems because they have better drivers.

You can have a look at nVidia cards direct from their website:
http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/compare_and_buy_nvidia_products_uk.html - UK
http://www.nvidia.com/object/graphics_cards_buy_now.html - USA

Your PSU is good enough to support any card up to the lower end GTX 200 series!! but they are costly so it is really a decision of deciding on a budget and getting the best card you can which your PSU will support. Don't forget, just in case, do not blow all your money incase it is a mobo fault in which case you may want to seek someone elses help because I am clueless!!

Hammeh

hay hammeh thaks alot for the info and advice, i never thought of the pci-e slot being faulty. it just so happens iv got a spare asus P5QL PRO P43 mobo i only bought last week for another machine i still need parts for so if the system rebuild doesnt work il definatly try swap mobo's and see what happens. if that fails il be returning the card and getting a nividia, iv always got ati cause i like their catalst control center but think its time to try something else cause iv always had some sort of issue with every ati card iv had:p  maybe im just one of those people who breaks electronics by simply being in the same room lol anyway thanks alot and il let you know in the next day or 2 if i get it fixed
May 10, 2009 8:04:18 PM

WHOOHOOO!!!! its fixed, i just installed a new hdd and os to see if it was dodgy software vs hardware and its worked a charm, i am now playing all my games on max settings with no glitchs or errors YAY!!!!

this was the problem
Faulting application fahcore_11.exe, version 0.0.0.0, faulting module amdcalrt.dll, version 6.14.10.103, fault address 0x00056983

that application edited a dll file that catalyst control center uses and when i uninstalled the app it never changed back. so a full reinstall was the fix i needed.
May 10, 2009 8:11:03 PM

Well done!! Enjoy gaming on your system.
May 12, 2009 8:26:31 AM

Hammeh said:
Well done!! Enjoy gaming on your system.

my solution was short lived :(  i got 2 days of endless gameing and this morning after an all nighter of crysis my monitor went to sleep again. same as before the audio continued playing for a few min then stoped. iv talked to my brother about it and he thinks that since the graphics card runs all the games fine and just seems to turn off that it must be overheating. this time their was no error to report in the error logs and i havnt installed that folding&home cliant either so i think maybe they were just coincidence. no green screen to report either.

so now im left wondering if it is a faulty card or if its just over heating.
if i get a new heatsink and attach it my warrenty will be void so....

what shouuld i do????
May 13, 2009 8:46:02 PM

You can try manually increasing the fan speed with a program such as RivaTuner which will lower the core temperature of the GPU. RivaTuner can also log the temperatures of the card to a file which you can then review after if it crashes again.
May 14, 2009 2:59:39 AM

hey thanks hammeh, iv been running my games in windowed mode with catalyt control center open in the backround so i can monitor temps lol that riviatuner should be handy. its only crashed that one time since i reinstalled the os. i was playing the last remnant for a few hours and the temps where slowly going up 1c every half hour. it got up to 69c at one point but i had to sleep so turned if off. my case window was even getting hot so im convinced its a tempeture issue. iv orderd this for the gpu https://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=391085&view=detai...
and some more powerful 120mm case fans along with a thermal control/monitor so hopeing this will solve it
July 15, 2010 7:16:34 AM

I was also facing this problem, what i did i just pulled my card out of the pcie slot and cleaned it and downgraded the 10.6 to 10.2 and right now its working perfectly fine.....i found 10.2 to be more stable than 10.6 :lov :hello:  e:
July 15, 2010 7:27:48 AM

Green will not let you update your drivers :( 
July 15, 2010 11:31:42 AM

WOW! do you realize this thread is over a year old? i solved this problem a LONG time ago, it was just overheating because i had bad airflow in my case. 2 extra 120mm fan intakes on the front and a 80mm fan intake on the side window fixed it. i agree about the drivers. i use the 10.2 also. seems the most stable for me, especially when playing Crysis wars. the game runs smoother with better avg fps. only 2-3 fps but it goes to show its a better driver for that game :) 
July 15, 2010 12:03:46 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!