Sign in with
Your question

2ND HDD Isn't Recognized

Last response: in Storage
November 26, 2010 12:03:33 AM

Hello, I am just getting into the computer world I am somewhat capable of doing what I can. But I need help with a second hard drive.

I have two hard drives in it and today I just looked in my computer and looked at my storage and found out I only have 12.3 G's left. (Fairly small hard drive). Then I noticed I don't have my second 160Gb hard drive next to it. I went into bios and it said that Drive 0 was occupied by my main hard drive. and Drive 2 was occupied by my second hard drive. I am a bit stumped here and I would like some help. If anyone can please help me in any way. I neeed the second hard drive for some gaming.

Computer spec's.Alright This is all from the DirectX Diagnostic Tool.

Computer Model: Dell XPS 400

System Model: Dell DXP051

Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.20 GHz. (2 CPUs)

2GB RAM (4 512MB DDR2 Sticks)

Two 160 GB HDD's

ATI Radeon 4850 512MB

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit

If you need anything else let me know.

-MasterVega

Sincerely,
MasterVega

More about : 2nd hdd recognized

a b G Storage
November 26, 2010 12:21:46 AM

Go to control panel> administrative tools> computer management> storage> disk management and see if the drive is showing there.
If can be seen there, is it formatted, partitioned, and the partition(s) set to "active", and this is where you also assign a drive letter. If this has not been done, the drive will not show up as a usable drive in Windows.
m
l
November 26, 2010 12:31:35 AM

It is not shown up I have already tried diskmgmt it just doesnt show up.... But it shows up in the BIOS menu.

Any help?

-Mastervega
m
l
Related resources
a c 357 G Storage
November 26, 2010 1:04:22 AM

Look again in Disk Management. You MUST look specifically in the LOWER RIGHT pane, and remember that it SCROLLS so you can see all devices. This is the only place where Disk Management will show you valid pieces of hardware that the Windows OS does not yet understand. Look there for the "missing" second 160 GB HDD. Now look to see whether it has any Partitions defined. If yes, then look closely at the label info on the Partition(s). It should show you a Volume Name, a letter name in brackets like (E: ), a volume size, a File System like NTFS, and a status. If you have no letter name assigned, RIGHT-click on the Partition and give it one via the menu. Then back out and reboot. On the other hand, if it has a letter name but the File System is shown as "RAW", you have a problem of data corruption in the Directory or sector allocation files, and need to search the web for way to recover files from a RAW drive.
m
l
November 26, 2010 1:09:02 AM

Theres a problem IT DOESN'T SHOW anywhere, otherwise I would've had this done.
My main hard drive is split into two a Back up device and the storage device its self Other than that there is nothing else I can't find the missing hard drive anywhere but when the computer boots up it says its there... So YEah I can't find it and now I am out of space....
m
l
September 27, 2011 12:30:02 AM

I have the same problem with my Sony VGC-LT39U. Drive just went missing from my computer and is not reflected in Computer Management. Any help is greatly appreciated.
m
l
!