What should I get?

Trojan94

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
I'm gonna build a gaming PC and I've already decided on buying a 4 GB DDR2 RAM a 22-24" LCD monitor an XFX PCI-e card and a Intel C2Q. I can't decide on whether to buy a 2.83 or 3.00 Ghz C2Q and whether to buy a 260 GTX or 275 GTX. There's a big price difference between them so which should I get considering that I want toplay hardcore games like fallout 3, gta IV and want to continue playing games with this PC for at least the next 4-5 years. I don't wanna buy an i7 because I think it sux. The C2Q series is way better... Any way what should I get and also what motherboard should I get for the XFX GTX card I was thinking I would get an Intel DG45ID. Will the GTX support it? Will it be able to use SLI? How much should my power supply be? (please answer these question accurately but descriptively)

AKM880

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2009
I'd reccomend you to get the 2.83Ghz C2Q (The Q9550 right?) and overclock it. But if you were to overclock you can't go with an Intel motherboard since they do NOT allow overclocking.

One question for OP: Why does the Core i7 suck? It performs better than the Core 2 series of CPU's

What is your budget?

loneninja

Distinguished
The difference between 2.83Ghz and 3.0Ghz is going to be unnoticable in a game.

I also don't understand why you would say an I7 sucks, it's a much better processor than C2Q.

neon neophyte

Splendid
BANNED
i7 is not really better in regards to gaming. pII and core2 both match corei7 clock for clock in regards to current gaming. in some cases, its actually not as good, as it is l2 cache deficient (which is made up with a large l3 cache.)

i would wager, further down the line, when coding for games reflects the larger l3 cache, i7 will be superior, currently, thats just not the case.

for the most part, its all about having high clocks, no matter what cpu you use (out of those 3.) 4ghz > 3ghz. no matter which processor you choose.

sid_nag17

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
why dont you get a phenom II 955 and a good 790gx/fx mobo and save the xtra cash for the gtx 275 or hd 4890??? it'll perform just as good as the intel rig and you can oc the hell out of it!!!