Sign in with
Your question

To overclock or not to overclock, that is the question

Last response: in Overclocking
January 15, 2011 3:08:26 PM

I have an Asus ENGTX 460 TOP 768MB which come with a custom cooler and tends to stay very cool.
I'm at 1.075v and 919 MHz core, 3980 MHz memory (I can't go any higher on the memory with the Asus SmartDoctor). My temps for the GPU don't top 56 C with the smart cooling enabled. (That's around 69% fanspeed under Furmark/Tessmark).

I can go upto 1.1v on the voltage and 1050Mhz on the core with SmartDoctor.

The question is, should I go any higher on the voltage and the clocks? Anyone with a GTX 460 gone this high without problems?

Looking at the temps I feel like I should be able to easily. 56 C @ 100% seems like nothing. But then again I don't really know what the max safe voltage for the silicon is, and as that kinda information doesn't seem to be around on the net I suppose the experience of other OCers would be really handy. I'd like this rig to last.

Then again seeing as Asus' own utility allows overvolting upto 1.1v it can't be terrible right? I mean, I am guessing their programmers wouldn't put 1.1v mod on the software unless their engineers said that voltage is something the silicon can take (given that the heat is managed).

a b K Overclocking
January 20, 2011 2:38:55 AM

Yes their voltage settings are within the sfe range you could have even went to 1.125v or 1.150v with a hard mod and still haven been fine most likely...

I say go for it and see if you can go any higher...I don't know if you would want to keep it like that 24/7 but for benching reasons or for moments when you play an intensive game go for it...

You hit your limit when you see artifacts start appearing in your tests and when you start getting driver crashes...when you get those, set your overclock a bit lower to have a bit of safe room there. Then you have your ideal overclock...

Well, good luck...post any results if anything... ;) 
!