cannot open task manager

whenever i press ctrl+alt+del,the task manager sayes open
for about half a second then closes, and also if i try
and run 'msconfig' in the run menu,i have the same
problem, neither will open,i have scanned my pc for
spyware and also firewalls n etc, but i cant seem to find
the problem, please help me, thank you
2 answers Last reply
More about cannot open task manager

    Follow this link and perform at least steps 1,2,6 & 6 to check for
    spyware and viruses:
    Be sure you update all the tools.

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

    <tomkirkwood313@msn.com> wrote in message
    > whenever i press ctrl+alt+del,the task manager sayes open
    > for about half a second then closes, and also if i try
    > and run 'msconfig' in the run menu,i have the same
    > problem, neither will open,i have scanned my pc for
    > spyware and also firewalls n etc, but i cant seem to find
    > the problem, please help me, thank you

    Greetings --

    The type of behavior you describe is typical behavior of more than
    one virus/worm, the three below being the most common:

    W32.Klez
    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.klez.e@mm.html

    W32.Yaha
    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.yaha.c@mm.html

    W32.Spybot.Worm
    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.spybot.worm.html

    Because many of the newer viruses and worms, such as the
    Spybot mentioned above, can disable antivirus applications whose
    definitions aren't kept up-to-date, try using one or more of the free
    on-line scanners to double-check your system.

    Trend Micro - Free online virus Scan
    http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

    McAfee Security - FreeScan
    http://www.mcafee.com/myapps/mfs/default.asp

    Symantec Security Check
    http://security.symantec.com/ssc/home.asp

    Bruce Chambers
    --
    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    having both at once. - RAH

    <tomkirkwood313@msn.com> wrote in message
    > whenever i press ctrl+alt+del,the task manager sayes open
    > for about half a second then closes, and also if i try
    > and run 'msconfig' in the run menu,i have the same
    > problem, neither will open,i have scanned my pc for
    > spyware and also firewalls n etc, but i cant seem to find
    > the problem, please help me, thank you

Configuration Microsoft Task Manager Windows XP