Guitar builder needs PC building help: Can I mount my PSU upside down?

jnasty

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2009
I'm continuing to find out things I didn't know I needed to know and my current dilemma is...

My case doesn't have a vent directly above the PSU. It does have a vent top and center of the case and it also has vents at the top of the sides(right below the top corners).

The PSU I'm installing is a OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ500MXSP 500W. I'm thinking I should mount my PSU upside down since I won't have a vent directly above it. Can I do this and should I?

btw, I'm not sure what case I have. It's an older Raidmax with blue lights on the front and it says 'Diamond Panel' inside.

mildiner86

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2008
u can mount it upside down, all the components will work no matter what oriantation as long as it fits n u can screw it in.

in ur case id have the fan pointing down to allow it some air flow, it will also take air from the top of the case above the CPU and push it out the back, this is good as hot air rises and u dont want hot air in the case :)

medjohnson77

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008

That is correct you don't want hot air in the case, however, I also recomend getting a new case because you don't want all the hot are running thru the PSU. Bottom mount PSU stop this problem and allow for cooler air to run thru the PSU. Cooler components, is just a good thing.