I7 920 NEHALEM, BLOOMFIELD, XEON...

ballbuster

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2009
ok.. im a little confused on all these.. i get that getting a do over a co is better but what's the deal with the bloomfield- nehalem-xeon stuff.....?? thanks guys

ballbuster

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2009
maybe.. seen some people saying on the help me build my rig forums get the 920 bloomfield.. what the heck is that? is it the xeon? argh.. i only see that and i7 920 nehalem's on newegg..

Bloomfield is a Xeon chip, but it is built for regular X58 motherboards with the LGA1366 socket. What they are telling you to get might be this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117213 which is the i7 920 equivalent. There is a $20-30 price difference between the two, which is probably not worth it.

edit: The i7 950 and the i7 975 Extreme are also Bloomfield chips.

xtc28

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
Bloomfield is the way to go if you want the latest, greatest and fastest. IMO there is nothing better than the best you can get.

From this Wikipedia article I take the following:

- Nehalim is the name of the microarchitecture. This microarchitecture could (and will) appear in a lot of chips.

- Bloomfield is the project that created the first family of processors using the Nehalim microarchitecture: the "Core i7 9xx" series as well as the Xeon "W35xx" series.

The Core i7 processors are intended for use in desktop systems, while the equivalent Xeons are intended for workstations. For example, the Xeon W3520 is essentially identical to a Core i7 920 except that it supports ECC memory.

ballbuster

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2009
ok..think i get it.. although i have seen most non xeon 920's labeled as a nehalem and a few labeled as bloomfield. are they the same?

I don't believe any of the 920's should be Bloomfield. The older i7 920, 940 and 965 were Nehalem based while the newer i7 930, 950 and 975 are Bloomfield chips

Current Xeon's will work in X58 mobo's. Big difference is that they have a 2nd QPI to communicate with a 2nd processor

Sort of. There are many processors that use the Nehalim microarchitecture. The first family of processor types produced this microarchitecture were from the "Bloomfield" project. The Core i7 9xx and Xeon W35xx processors are the names of the processors that were produced by that project.

See: Wikipedia - Intel Nehalem (microarchitecture)

Helloworld_98

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009

You have no clue, Nehalem is the General Architecture and Die size, in Nehalem's case it refers to Core iX 45nm.

Bloomfield is features and number of cores, 'Bloom' referring to the processor having a triple channel IMC, and 'field' referring to the fact that it is a Quad core processor.

so you have, Nehalem -> Bloomfield, Lynnfield and Gainestown.

In Lynnfield, 'Lynn' refers to the processor using the 45nm die size, having onboard controllers and having a dual channel IMC.

Then in Gainestown, 'Gaines' refers to having the same features as Bloomfield, except it can use ECC memory. and 'Town' refers to it being a Server CPU and that it can be either a dual or quad core processor.

Helloworld_98

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
^ Nah, I think he thought I was angry because most people on this forum never make such a long post unless they're annoyed about something.

Anyway, hopefully that summary will help some people in understanding Intel.

xtc28

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
Helloworld is right on the money! And was right in the above post. I wasnt insinuating anything else about you lostandwandering. thinking about it now...... i get why you thought that. Ill quote next time.