Sign in with
Your question

I think my CPU is over heating..

Tags:
  • CPUs
Last response: in CPUs
July 22, 2009 11:54:02 PM

Hi,

I just built a brand new rig and all's well until I noticed my temperature.

At idle, the temps are between 55-60.

It goes between 70-80 when I run a few programs.

But it reaches to a near boiling temp of 90-95 when I ran Far Cry 2 (only played once to test the temp!)

Is there something wrong here? Or is this normal temps for my computer?

Rig:

CPU: E8400 (3.0Ghz)

Mobo: Gigabyte EP45-UD3P

Ram: Corsair Dominator 2x1 GB

PSU: Corsair TX750 (750w)

GPU: XFX 4850 1GB

HDD: 1x1 TB WD Cavier Black

Case: Antec 902

Cooler: Intel stock cooler with no additional paste other then what was put in the cooler.

Like I said, are these normal temps? Or did I just installed the heat sink wrong?
I DID have trouble installing the heat sink awhile back (couldn't install windows because temps were 90C booting up [Checked through bios]) but I think I did it well now.

More about : cpu heating

a c 105 à CPUs
July 23, 2009 12:12:36 AM

its way too hot, double check your heat sink to make sure its seated correctly
July 23, 2009 12:30:28 AM

capdase said:
Cooler: Intel stock cooler with no additional paste other then what was put in the cooler.

Like I said, are these normal temps? Or did I just installed the heat sink wrong?
I DID have trouble installing the heat sink awhile back (couldn't install windows because temps were 90C booting up [Checked through bios]) but I think I did it well now.

When you reseated your heatsink you may have messed up the thermal paste and that would certainly give you higher temps. If putting it back on doesn't help, you should replace the grease with something like Arctic Silver 5 which can be found for pretty cheap.
Related resources
July 23, 2009 2:43:19 AM

I'll try to resink the heat sink later tonight, i'll update you on my findings. thanks for the replies!
July 23, 2009 11:12:20 AM

I think you've answered your own question.
July 24, 2009 12:24:44 AM

I've already resink the heat sink, now my temps are at 40 minimum with no load. Will be testing what the temps are at load. Any ideas if this is normal or not? Have searched around and some are saying their core temps can reach to as low as 30 but most of them are using after market coolers!

I'm a little short on cash right now, so I'm still using the intel stock cooler. Will be buying AC Freezer 7 when I get some money! haha.
a c 105 à CPUs
July 24, 2009 2:18:55 AM

40c at idle is cool temp
July 24, 2009 3:09:46 AM

Then I guess that clears it, resinking the heat sink solved the problem! My temp now never reaches 60! Thanks to those who put input! :) 
!