Quick question regarding CPU and heatsink

mope01

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2009
Hey there! Though first post, I've been watching and reading the forums over the years, but now's my time to ask :bounce:

I just installed a Core 2 Duo E6400 on a Zotac Geforce 9300-ITX WiFi along with a Scythe Shuriken Rev.B in a SilverStone LC12B-120 case.
I wanted to make this a quiet HTPC running XBMC, but the fan took the "quiet" out of the equation, but with the CPU temps I'm getting atm it would be irresponsible installing a fan controller, quieting the only moving part in the case... - at idle CPU, I'm getting 55+C temps. At full load I've seen it at 78C!

The weird thing is the heatsink is bordering on cold even when reading 75+ using both HWMonitor and checking the BIOS.
I've double-checked the heatsink/CPU connection and I can't see anything not having contact. Plus, when applying thermal paste to only the CPU with a finger, covering the whole plate, I get a nice little square-print on the HS after installing, so everything seems to make contact (and I'm fairly certain I've used the correct amnount of paste - this is not my first time by far) ;).

It defies all logic that the HS can be cool while the CPU is almost melting, but how can I know if the readings are off?

Kraynor

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2007
It might LOOK like it's making contact, but if one of the pins isn't in correctly, then the contact isn't nearly good enough for efficient heat transfer. Ever wonder why you need such an insane amount of force to get the pins in? It's not so it's just slightly touching against the CPU...

andy5174

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
I agree with Kraynor. I suggest that you take the whole m/b out prior to applying the HSF to your CPU. I also experienced this with my P4 previously. 20C lower after the HSF is properly installed and it's at 30-35C while being idle now.

mope01

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2009
Even though the article MRFS pointed to mentions the stock Intel cooler as the faulty one, I replaced the Scythe HSF with an Intel I got with a Celeren Dual Core E1400 - both the HS and fan are noticeably smaller than the Scythe, but the temps are the same if not a bit higher (it's a 82C right now!) - but the HS itself is hot as hell too!

Does this confirm the Scythe as defective, since its HS doesn't really heat up at all?

Kraynor

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2007
Wait... you touched the CPU, Thermal Paste, or HSF with your finger? That's pretty bad. Clean it all off with alcohol and don't touch them again. Your fingers leave an oily residue on the surfaces which is absolutely terrible at conducting heat.

mope01

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2009
Fair enough, but I really don't think that can cause the CPU to heat up 20 degrees more than it should... Do you? For the record, I only touched the thermal paste ;)
While me touching the thermal paste apparently is a very bad idea, I've always done it and have had no heat issues ever.

Does that mean that the CPU fan is the only fan in your system? If so, it could just be recirculating hot air inside the case without drawing in fresh new air. You may need a case fan to get some airflow through the case...

mope01

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2009
There's no space for an extra fan unfortuneatly, so that's not an option. Odd thing is I can feel cool air being blown out of the case (the fan is not blowing out ;))