Sign in with
Your question

What should I adjust on GPU: Core, Shader or Memory?

Last response: in Overclocking
January 15, 2011 8:26:21 PM

I have a GeForce 9800 GTX+ and want to overclock as much as possible. (No, I don't care if my computer sounds like a wind tunnel.) I have 3 options in EVGA Precision Tuner: Core speed, Shader speed and Memory Speed. Defaults are...

Core: 738
Shader: 1836
Memory: 1100

What steps should I take to increase performance as much as possible? Thanks.
January 15, 2011 9:38:10 PM

As you up the core, the shader will also increase.

So you only need to adjust the Core and Memory.
And wow, your memory is already massively overclocked. 1100 MHz would translate into 4400 MHz effective memory clock (GDDR5).
So you should up your core slowly and stress test as you go up. From what I've seen furmark alone doesn't work too well anymore. You could be totally stable on Furmark and then crash on a DX11 app.

I used Furmark, Tessmark (DX11), Heaven 2.1 (DX11) and a few other benchmarks, as well as Crysis Warhead on Enthusiast settings at 1920x1080 and 8xQ AA

a b U Graphics card
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
January 15, 2011 10:05:19 PM

tastelikecrab said:
As you up the core, the shader will also increase.

So you only need to adjust the Core and Memory.
And wow, your memory is already massively overclocked. 1100 MHz would translate into 4400 MHz effective memory clock (GDDR5).
So you should up your core slowly and stress test as you go up. From what I've seen furmark alone doesn't work too well anymore. You could be totally stable on Furmark and then crash on a DX11 app.

I used Furmark, Tessmark (DX11), Heaven 2.1 (DX11) and a few other benchmarks, as well as Crysis Warhead on Enthusiast settings at 1920x1080 and 8xQ AA

the card uses GDDR3
Related resources
January 15, 2011 10:23:26 PM

lol sorry. ignore what I wrote. for some reason I read it at as one of the new cards.
January 15, 2011 10:54:23 PM

So, what should I increase? Just the core speed? If so, by how much?

and, what program should I use to test it for stability???
January 18, 2011 3:33:31 PM

Find out what the SC & SSC versions of your card run at. Try and set to the sames settings. You should have no problems if you start from there.

I have the SC version of this card but cant rememmber what my number were.
!