Copying Licensed Video from MP10 on PC to MP9 on PPC - Help!

April 8, 2005 6:17:02 PM

Hi Folks - I'm trying to download a major league baseball game purchased from
mlb.com. When I played it on my laptop XP Media Player 10 it worked fine and
acquired the license no problem.

When I try to play the file on my PocketPC with Windows Mobile 2003 Second
Edition (Audiovox XV6600) I get an error:

"The license for this file cannot be found. Use Windows Media Player on
your PC to copy the file to your device again."

So when I try to syncronizand it from my PC to the PocketPC I get an error:

Windows Media Player cannot synchronize the protected file. Protected files
cannot be converted to the required quality level or file format (C00D1186).

I'm in a catch-22, the PPC says use Media Player to copy it, but when I try
that it says it cannot do it. Help!!!

Thanks,
MojoBaer
Anonymous
April 8, 2005 9:29:12 PM

"MojoBaer" <MojoBaer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Folks - I'm trying to download a major league baseball game purchased
> from
> mlb.com. When I played it on my laptop XP Media Player 10 it worked fine
> and
> acquired the license no problem.
>
> When I try to play the file on my PocketPC with Windows Mobile 2003 Second
> Edition (Audiovox XV6600) I get an error:
>
> "The license for this file cannot be found. Use Windows Media Player on
> your PC to copy the file to your device again."
>
> So when I try to syncronizand it from my PC to the PocketPC I get an
> error:
>
> Windows Media Player cannot synchronize the protected file. Protected
> files
> cannot be converted to the required quality level or file format
> (C00D1186).
>
> I'm in a catch-22, the PPC says use Media Player to copy it, but when I
> try
> that it says it cannot do it. Help!!!

Simple - sounds like you do not have a suitable license that allows you to
do the conversion. While in Media Player's library on the PC, right click
on the protected file, then properties and license. See if there is more
information there.
Anonymous
April 8, 2005 9:29:13 PM

Thanks - I looked and it says:
This file can be played until 4/9/2105
This file can be burned 3 more times until 4/9/2105
This file can be synchronized 3 more times until 4/9/2105

It seems like I've got the proper license. I'm wondering if there is any
problem with syncing between MP10 and MP9...

"xTenn" wrote:

> "MojoBaer" <MojoBaer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Folks - I'm trying to download a major league baseball game purchased
> > from
> > mlb.com. When I played it on my laptop XP Media Player 10 it worked fine
> > and
> > acquired the license no problem.
> >
> > When I try to play the file on my PocketPC with Windows Mobile 2003 Second
> > Edition (Audiovox XV6600) I get an error:
> >
> > "The license for this file cannot be found. Use Windows Media Player on
> > your PC to copy the file to your device again."
> >
> > So when I try to syncronizand it from my PC to the PocketPC I get an
> > error:
> >
> > Windows Media Player cannot synchronize the protected file. Protected
> > files
> > cannot be converted to the required quality level or file format
> > (C00D1186).
> >
> > I'm in a catch-22, the PPC says use Media Player to copy it, but when I
> > try
> > that it says it cannot do it. Help!!!
> >

> Simple - sounds like you do not have a suitable license that allows you to
> do the conversion. While in Media Player's library on the PC, right click
> on the protected file, then properties and license. See if there is more
> information there.

Anonymous
April 9, 2005 8:11:13 PM

Well not entirely an MP10 and MP9 issue, but possibly the inability of MP9
on the PPC to use the particular DRM (Lisence) that file uses. You say it's
video. Are you transferring it to removable media on the PPC, like an SD or
CF card. I don't think the MP 9 will play protected media from a flash card.

--
Sven
MS-MVP Mobile Devices
> Thanks - I looked and it says:
> This file can be played until 4/9/2105
> This file can be burned 3 more times until 4/9/2105
> This file can be synchronized 3 more times until 4/9/2105
>
> It seems like I've got the proper license. I'm wondering if there is any
> problem with syncing between MP10 and MP9...
>

> "xTenn" wrote:
>

>> "MojoBaer" <MojoBaer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi Folks - I'm trying to download a major league baseball game
>> > purchased
>> > from
>> > mlb.com. When I played it on my laptop XP Media Player 10 it worked
>> > fine
>> > and
>> > acquired the license no problem.
>> >
>> > When I try to play the file on my PocketPC with Windows Mobile 2003
>> > Second
>> > Edition (Audiovox XV6600) I get an error:
>> >
>> > "The license for this file cannot be found. Use Windows Media Player
>> > on
>> > your PC to copy the file to your device again."
>> >
>> > So when I try to syncronizand it from my PC to the PocketPC I get an
>> > error:
>> >
>> > Windows Media Player cannot synchronize the protected file. Protected
>> > files
>> > cannot be converted to the required quality level or file format
>> > (C00D1186).
>> >
>> > I'm in a catch-22, the PPC says use Media Player to copy it, but when I
>> > try
>> > that it says it cannot do it. Help!!!
>> >

>> Simple - sounds like you do not have a suitable license that allows you
>> do the conversion. While in Media Player's library on the PC, right
>> click
>> on the protected file, then properties and license. See if there is more
>> information there.

Anonymous
April 10, 2005 1:11:02 AM

Yup, it's a video with DRM license that I copied via explorer to the PPC SD
card and MP9 couldn't play it. I also tried the "sync" functionality in MP10
(instead of the copy) and MP10 gave me the C00D1186 error (cannot sync
protected file).

"Sven" wrote:

> Well not entirely an MP10 and MP9 issue, but possibly the inability of MP9
> on the PPC to use the particular DRM (Lisence) that file uses. You say it's
> video. Are you transferring it to removable media on the PPC, like an SD or
> CF card. I don't think the MP 9 will play protected media from a flash card.
>
> --
> Sven
> MS-MVP Mobile Devices
> "MojoBaer" <MojoBaer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks - I looked and it says:
> > This file can be played until 4/9/2105
> > This file can be burned 3 more times until 4/9/2105
> > This file can be synchronized 3 more times until 4/9/2105
> >
> > It seems like I've got the proper license. I'm wondering if there is any
> > problem with syncing between MP10 and MP9...
> >

> > "xTenn" wrote:
> >

> >> "MojoBaer" <MojoBaer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> >> Simple - sounds like you do not have a suitable license that allows you
> >> do the conversion. While in Media Player's library on the PC, right
> >> click
> >> on the protected file, then properties and license. See if there is more
> >> information there.

Anonymous
April 10, 2005 4:17:14 AM

It's probably too big to even try using MP10 sync to put it in main RAM
isn't it? That would just be an interesting experiment. If you have a gob of
built-in-storage, like the X50v and rx3715 have, that doesn't even help as
the OS sees that as 'removable' storage too. Things don't get better until
you have MP10 on the PPC as well as the PC when it comes to DRM issues.
Unfortunately MP10 on the PPC is scarce.
--
Sven
MS-MVP Mobile Devices

!