precipitate8

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2006
I have an HTPC in an entertainment center cabinet and needed a fan to blow the hot air out the back through one of the holes you're supposed to run wires through. I got the Thermaltake Mobile Fan II External USB Cooling Fan, and bolted it to the hole. It works really well and moves a lot of air. Only problem is that when I put the computer to sleep or shut it down all the way, the fan stays on. It only stops if I turn the PSU off. I can't tell which device it is in the device manager (or if it is there). I could probably turn off all the usb ports in S3 through the bios, but I need the USB IR receiver active so I can bring the computer out of sleep with the remote. Anyone have any ideas how I can get the thing to turn off in sleep state? Don't have the specs on me, but its a Foxconn 965 micro atx mobo, q6600, and an ati 4370. The one bad thing about the fan is that it has speed control, but no off switch.

one-shot

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
Hmmm...splice the wire and run a switch to the fan would be my best advice. Just be sure to use the right equipment and parts. I would put a switch on the top, side or wherever it is most conveniently reached. Before you do all of that, why don't you just plug a fan into one of the fan headers on the motherboard? I would assume your board should have several headers for a few fans. USB devices generally do stay on unless the PSU is switched off or the power cord removed.

precipitate8

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2006

Well, that's not exactly the answer I was hoping for. Since the fan is external to the case, I'd rather not run a regular case fan out of it that I would have to carefully detach every time I want to pull the pc out. Adding an on/off switch is not a bad idea, but I'm trying to set this rig up so that one button on the remote turns everything on and off (it kind of defeats the purpose if I put it to sleep with the remote and then have to walk over and reach into the back of the cabinet to turn the fan off). I thought there was a way to disable power to USB ports in the device manager? I suppose telling it not allow a device to wake from sleep and telling it to not provide 5v power is not the same thing.
Thanks for the response!