Sign in with
Your question

Odd overheating problem HELP

Tags:
  • CPUs
Last response: in CPUs
July 23, 2009 2:36:20 AM

hey everyone got a really odd problem see if you all can help. i have a AMD 7750 BE overclocked to 3.2 Ghz on multiplier with a Gigabyte Ma790Gp-Ud4h i am normally running temps at about 28 C Idle and 40 C Load but lately i will have a spike in temp under moderate load and the Mobo will beep because i have an temp alarm at 60 C it will spike for just a second and go back to 35 to 40 i am not sure what the cause is. i have reapplied thermal paste twice now and it does not change it any ideas?

More about : odd overheating problem

July 23, 2009 3:26:01 AM

Probably dust clogging up your heatsink a bit, making it less efficient.

Really though, 60C should be fine for that chip, I'd suggest raising the alarm temperature to 70. If you're really concerned about the temps, drop your OC down a bit. Or alternatively, drop your voltage a little and see if it's still stable, that'd bring temps down a touch.
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 23, 2009 2:11:30 PM

dust wouldnt cause a sudden jump, unless a fan stopped working suddenly.

im guessing a sensor borked.
m
l
Related resources
July 23, 2009 2:14:25 PM

Ah good point, misread the post and thought that it was low when PC was built, but was high now, indicating a rise over time... that's what I get for posting at 4:30am.
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 23, 2009 2:29:50 PM

thermal sensor going to the dogs?
m
l
August 2, 2009 2:55:28 AM

Well dont think that is the problem its a brand new mobo about 3 weeks old any other ideas???
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 4, 2009 12:28:41 PM

thermal sensor is on the chip, and they are not exactly high grade stuff.....

does it crash/slowdown?
if you put ur finger on the hsf (as close to the CPU it self as possible, like if your got a TRUE, to actual base, and not the fins) and does it feel near that hot? or get a nice remote temp probe (think the stuff they use on mythbusters), but that may be too expensive for ya.
m
l
August 11, 2009 6:25:12 AM

One thing i just found out the problem seems to mostly happen if i am unpacking a .rar file and the temps go all over the place from 30 to almost 80 but for just slipt seconds anyone got an idea on that the temp only rises for fractions of a second and then jumps all over
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 11, 2009 12:55:43 PM

unraring uses CPU, so your CPU is under load, what happens when you prime or linx or OCCT it?
m
l
August 18, 2009 3:40:08 AM

ran prime for an hour and only got temps of 49 C but it was steady.
when i unrar something it jumps like crazy all over on the temps
m
l
August 18, 2009 6:06:00 AM

you most probably have a shot sensor.
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 18, 2009 2:27:23 PM

i second the shot sensor deal

try to borrow (if you can) one of them IR heat sensors that you point and it reads the temp deal (err dont buy unless ur rich...) or something if you really want to check this, but seriously, atm it looks like a shot sensor

usually the sensor is not on the core of the cpu it self, so ur cpu should still work with no issues, disable that warning about temp if you want
m
l
August 19, 2009 9:55:05 PM

thanks for all the help do you think i should try and rma the board?
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 20, 2009 12:56:02 PM

well usually its not a board issue but a cpu issue so...

rma the cpu may be the better call, unless you can test the cpu in another board and it does not do this spike deal
m
l
August 21, 2009 5:37:09 AM

well i dont think that will be an option i overclocked it so yea voided warrenty but i appreciate all of your help and i guess i will just have to upgrade sooner if it gets more anoying its a AMD Athlon 64 X2 7750 BE 2.7 stock overclocked to 3.2 with multiplier
m
l
!