Requiring a severe graphics upgrade for WotLK

steel101

Distinguished
May 10, 2009
I am currently using a GeForce 4 MX420. At this point, you're probably vomiting in disgust. Rest assured, it was a hand-me-down, so I didn't actually pay for it.

At the absolute lowest settings, I am getting ~30 FPS in low-populated areas and anywhere between 6-15 in high.

I have seen good graphics on WoW, though, and although it isn't very demanding or visually stunning, it is still a major aesthetic-pleaser over what I am currently working with.

I am on a low budget, and there are two cards I'm looking at: A GeForce 8800 GTS 320 and a GeForce 9600GT.

My question: Would either of these be a cost-efficient, effective upgrade?

I have a gig of ram, will get another one soon. OS is XP.

I'm also not too hot at computer linguistics, so if you could dumb it down a bit...

rewindlabs

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
Well first either list the specs of your power supply or take a picture of the sticker on the side

List your budget and your resolution as well...also list your system specs

Dahak

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
First,niether of those cards will work in your current system.You have an AGP slot,and the cards you're looking at are PCI-E.To be able to run those cards would require a new MOTHERBOARD,a new CPU,probably new memory and a power supply.If money is an issue,might I suggest looking for a 7600gt for agp or somewhat similar ati card.They can be a bit hard to find,but give decent performance.Anything much bigger may leave you cpu bound depending on your processors speed and the resolution you run at on your monitor.Goodluck.

Dahak