Memory Upgrade

BKraengel

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2002
All,

I am not into OC, just want DRAM that performs well. My Intel G45 Express Chipset supports DDR2-800, DDR3-1060 and DDR3-1333. I would like to upgrade from DDR2-800 to DDR3-1060.

1. How does the CPU know memory has changed? Does it self-detect or do I have to tell it in BIOS?

2. I really would like DDR3-1333, but it is still too pricey and its latency is still too high. I noticed that performance-grade DDR2-1060 has a smaller latency than standard DDR3-1060 so it would probably be a better performer.

3. What memory sticks are appropriate for my chipset: low-voltage or standard?

4. Where is the L2 Cache physically located, on the chip itself or does the CPU reserve a chunk of system memory?

You should list your motherboard model number and check the specs carefully. Only asrock and jetway make boards with both ddr2 and ddr3 slots. You won't notice any noticable performance gain with socket 775 and ddr3. I would keep using your ddr2 for now. IF you want to buy some, newegg has some crucial 2x2gb of ddr3 for $71 in today's email promos. If your board has ddr3 slots, you just install them. No need to change anything unless you want to manually set the timings, but often it isn't necessary. And you never mix ddr2 and ddr3 together on the same board.