Sign in with
Your question

System Reboots When Checking Windows Experience Index

Last response: in Systems
April 19, 2009 3:44:03 AM

I just finished up building my first PC (yay!), running Windows 7. I'm pretty sure everything is working, but when I try to Check the Windows Experience Index, it runs the test and then reboots my system when testing DirecX 9. Because of that, I'm sure it has something to do with my Graphics Card (HD4830), but not sure what. Any ideas? I've already updated the driver via the Device Manager, and tried one from ATI's website. I haven't tried to play a game yet, but will soon.

More about : system reboots checking windows experience index

April 19, 2009 4:25:19 AM

Ok, so the same thing happens when I start a game, the computer just suddenly reboots.
m
l
April 19, 2009 5:12:29 AM

What psu do you have?
m
l
Related resources
April 19, 2009 5:55:23 AM

Ok, I was thinking it could be a bad psu, mine had the same symptoms right before it fried my motherboard. The wattage is plenty for the system though.

Uninstall your gpu driver completely and get the newest one from the manufacturer's site.
m
l
April 19, 2009 6:11:13 AM

When I try to install a Driver manually, Windows says "Windows has determined the driver software is up to date".

These are the steps I followed...

1. I downloaded the display drivers from here
http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/rad...

2. Opened the Device Manager, and tried to manually direct the "Display Adapter" to the downloaded file.
m
l
April 19, 2009 6:16:03 AM

Did you uninstall first? Sometimes that makes a difference. I wouldn't rule out a bad power supply yet, though. Any burning smell from the pc?
m
l
April 19, 2009 6:30:49 AM

Nope, no burning smell. The drivers didn't work either. I uninstalled the ATI Catalyst Manager, and was able to reach the game's loading screen (I couldn't get pass the opening cinematic before). Maybe the Graphics Card is overheating?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
April 19, 2009 7:52:11 AM

I'd say the most likely cause is a bad PSU then.
m
l
April 19, 2009 8:14:27 PM

Hmm... I had a similar problem from a previous iBuyPower machine, but I was able to atleast run the game for a while before it rebooted. Maybe it's my outlet? I'll try to switch outlets when I get home.
m
l
April 19, 2009 9:03:31 PM

Ok, so now the computer won't even boot into Windows without shutting down, and rebooting a few times If it is a faulty PSU, do I take this up with Newegg or Enermax?
m
l
!