Sign in with
Your question

Help with video card and low power warnings

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 10, 2009 2:18:19 PM

I am currently running a AMD athlon x2 dual core 6000+ @ 3.02 GHZ 4Gig of dual channel OCZ DDR@ ram on a MSI K9N4-sli motherboard(MB)I have a sony DVD-RW and sony CD-RW, 2 SATA HDD's and @ IDE HDD's totaling almost a teyrbyte of HDD space. tunning win xp pro sp3 and all updates.
and I have a thermaltake case and Power supply(PS) a thermaltake TR-2 550 watts. it has 4xsata, 6xmolex, 2 floppy, 4pin 12v,20-24 pin and 2xpci-e 6 pin connectors.

now I was running 2 evga 7600's in sli, then I upgraded to a gigabyte nvidia geforce 8800GT ( I have 2 ) but I put in the 1 and plugged in the 6 pin connector powered up and it said low power dumbing down graphics plug in your extra power connector meaning the 6 pin, so I tried the oter card same thing. then I tried 2 molex with an adapter and it worked.

Now 2 days ago the Nvidia sentinal program came up again saying low power plugin yo9ur 6 pin cable.

so I tested my 2 6 pin connectors with a DMM and there putting out what thermaltake specks say

I havn't tried both cards in sli because I figured if it can't handle one the how isit gonna handle 2

any ideas or help on what it might be would be very much appreicated, I have built alot of systems and am fairly knogable. So this is really making me mad. and apparenty other people have had similar issues but no one has a deffinate answer.

please help it is killing me having 2 8800GT's and I can't even run 1 at full power my games look like 1980's nintendo games

Please help thanks
a b U Graphics card
May 10, 2009 2:22:05 PM

Try to reinstall all nvidia drivers.
May 10, 2009 2:46:15 PM

I did that I even used driver cleaner after the uninstall to remove all remenants from the registry and then reinstalled
Related resources
May 10, 2009 2:49:27 PM

could the PCIE slots on the MB not putting out enough power the only thing I have not done is flash my bios
only because it has been a while since I have done that and I can't afford to not be able to get onlie at all
and currently none of my other systems are up and running (long story)
May 13, 2009 3:15:04 PM

I use 2 molex and an adapter and my card works just fine
but the pci-e connectors don't work
what the heck is going on
I need a DMM to check if they are even putting out power
I don't know what else to do except buy another PSU
!