Sign in with
Your question

OCZ Vertex 2 SSD Problem

Last response: in Storage
November 26, 2010 10:46:03 PM

Hey all,

Recently, I bought a new OCZ Vertex 2 120GB SSD Drive for running my Windows OS. Upon installing, everything wen't well, until I needed to reboot because of some software required me to. Now whenever I boot up the system, the following message appears.

CD-ROM Boot Priority ..No Medium
Reboot and Select prober Boot device
or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key_

The SSD is configured with SATA 2 at SATA 2 ICH10R Port 1. The other drive at which I installed my software etc. is a WD 1,5TB HDD. I've tried all the options I could think off and nothing works, it just keeps giving the same error...

Hopefully somebody here can help me!

Thanks in Advance!

i7-980XRM

More about : ocz vertex ssd problem

a b G Storage
November 26, 2010 11:32:02 PM

Go into your BIOS and select first boot priority to be the hard drive (ssd)
a c 351 G Storage
November 26, 2010 11:53:03 PM

More a question, How was your Sata (ICH10R) configured at install?

Normally the best method for installing the operating system on to an SSD is to set it to AHCI (AND the mechanical HHD disconnected). With the vertex-2 (same as Pheonix Pro) you should down load the F6 Intel Driver (ver 9) and do a custom install. On the page showing HDs to install to you would check the check box for using additional driver. After install you would install the Intel RST driver pkg (Ver 9). After you have completed win 7 installation and let windows install it's up dates then power off and reconnect the HDD. Then install all programs.
Related resources
November 26, 2010 11:55:35 PM

anonymous1 said:
Go into your BIOS and select first boot priority to be the hard drive (ssd)

Thank you for the advice but I already tried that... I had no effect and the error kept displaying.
November 27, 2010 12:14:20 AM

RetiredChief said:
More a question, How was your Sata (ICH10R) configured at install?

Normally the best method for installing the operating system on to an SSD is to set it to AHCI (AND the mechanical HHD disconnected). With the vertex-2 (same as Pheonix Pro) you should down load the F6 Intel Driver (ver 9) and do a custom install. On the page showing HDs to install to you would check the check box for using additional driver. After install you would install the Intel RST driver pkg (Ver 9). After you have completed win 7 installation and let windows install it's up dates then power off and reconnect the HDD. Then install all programs.

Thanks for the quick response as well, the settings and steps I took are as followed:
Just plain default settings. I inserted the SSD in my rig, turned DVD drive to primary boot prio. and SSD to secondary and booted the Win 7 DVD. (In the Harddrive selection, I made the SSD the primary and the HDD secondary)
With the Win 7 setup, I formatted the SSD and the optional WD HDD and installed Windows onto the SSD. Then the system rebooted like normal while installing Win 7 and booted up excellent.
When logged on to Windows It only displayed that I had already used 60GB +/- out of the 120GB. I looked it up since Win 7 issn't 60GB with just plain install and nothing else and found out that I needed to turn off my virtual memory because of the large amout of memory I use, so I rebooted, It worked like a charm and my SSD only used 15GB or so. Afterwards I started installing the default apps (all on HDD except Antivirus) It asked me to reboot, I did so and ever since it kept displaying the error message. But the BIOS settings where just in default IDE instead of AHCI or RAID and I installed the SSD with the HDD as secondary drive attached.
a c 351 G Storage
November 27, 2010 5:36:44 PM

Recommend you redo installation.
(1) Do NOT use default IDE mode, Set controller 2 AHCI
(2) Disconnect HDD when doing the Install, Win 7 will move a part of installation to HDD that is best left on the SSD.
(3) Select custom install, (A) delete any pre-existing partition (B) check the box for additional needed drivers (Have Intel F6 (Ver 9) drivers ready on a Thumb drive). Redo Partition ( should show 2, a little 100mb system partition and the remainder of the SSD in a second Partition - which you want to select for installation. (B) Broose to where F6 drives are and select the intel ahci driver (c) When installation is complete, let windows do it's updates and then install the Intel RST (ver9 ) driver set.
(4) When you have win installation complete, then (a) power down and reattach your Mech HDD (B) Install your programs.

PS With a Large amount of Ram - Cut your Swap file down to a reasonable size also set the min/max to the same value to prevent windows from expanding/shrink the file willy-nitty. Your option to set to SSD, or HDD. SSD- higher performance, HDD, less writes to SSD
November 27, 2010 10:23:11 PM

RetiredChief said:
Recommend you redo installation.
(1) Do NOT use default IDE mode, Set controller 2 AHCI
(2) Disconnect HDD when doing the Install, Win 7 will move a part of installation to HDD that is best left on the SSD.
(3) Select custom install, (A) delete any pre-existing partition (B) check the box for additional needed drivers (Have Intel F6 (Ver 9) drivers ready on a Thumb drive). Redo Partition ( should show 2, a little 100mb system partition and the remainder of the SSD in a second Partition - which you want to select for installation. (B) Broose to where F6 drives are and select the intel ahci driver (c) When installation is complete, let windows do it's updates and then install the Intel RST (ver9 ) driver set.
(4) When you have win installation complete, then (a) power down and reattach your Mech HDD (B) Install your programs.

PS With a Large amount of Ram - Cut your Swap file down to a reasonable size also set the min/max to the same value to prevent windows from expanding/shrink the file willy-nitty. Your option to set to SSD, or HDD. SSD- higher performance, HDD, less writes to SSD

Thanks alot! Really appriciated! I just came home a few min ago, but I will try your steps first thing in the morning and post if it worked or not.
November 28, 2010 2:06:29 PM

Dear RetiredChief,

Thank you ALOT!!! It worked, I did exactly as you said and described and it worked!! How can you rep+ you or thank you?

Again, Thanks alot!

i7-980XRM
a c 351 G Storage
November 28, 2010 5:45:38 PM

Enjoy, Glad I could help.
November 30, 2010 12:35:34 AM

Retired Chief -

I just bought the same ssd, but didn't build yet. Why do you need the new drivers? Is it mandatory? Do you have a link to the Intel F6 (Ver 9) drivers ?
a c 351 G Storage
November 30, 2010 1:31:34 AM

Not Mandantory, but you will take a performance hit if you use the default uSoft AHCI driver for the intel chipset. I Cloned my Intel SSD to the Pheonix pro (It used the msahci driver, low performance - Should of saved time by doing a clean install from the get go, because that is what I had to do.

Her is the link to the 64 bit ver. The first file is for after you install win 7. The 2nd file is the F6 driver that you would use during installation
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=...(Intel%c2%ae+RST)
December 1, 2010 1:59:55 AM

RetiredChief said:
Not Mandantory, but you will take a performance hit if you use the default uSoft AHCI driver for the intel chipset. I Cloned my Intel SSD to the Pheonix pro (It used the msahci driver, low performance - Should of saved time by doing a clean install from the get go, because that is what I had to do.

Her is the link to the 64 bit ver. The first file is for after you install win 7. The 2nd file is the F6 driver that you would use during installation
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=...(Intel%c2%ae+RST)

Thanks Chief!
January 11, 2011 4:12:33 PM

This thread has been very helpful.
@RetiredChief - I know at the time of your posts v10 of the F6 driver wasn't out - is it safe to use that one or do you recommend keeping with the v9?
a c 351 G Storage
January 12, 2011 2:16:55 AM

Heard noting bad about ver 10, As of a couple of weeks ago the "F6" for 64 bit was still ver 9.6.
I'm still using ver 9.6 and have not read up on the "advantages/fixes" in ver 10.

Quick google
quote from:
http://thessdreview.com/latest-buzz/intel-rst-10-final-...
There are no huge benefits to the typical single drive user but RAID systems are reportedly experiencing amazing GC and return of performance to like new SSD states and almost immediately in testing.

January 13, 2011 2:45:07 PM

Thanks Chief, I will go with those.
Looks like the only downside is that the OCZ toolbox doesn't work with them (does work with v9).
!