Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Heatsink for AM3

Last response: in Overclocking
January 16, 2011 11:47:34 PM

Hey guys,

I have a 1055T AM3 CPU that is running quite close (57 - 58 C) to it's thermal limit (of 62 C). This PC needs to be close to 100% load 24/7. It is not OCed, just too damn hot here!

What do you guys think is the best AM3 cooler with front to back (of case airflow) that uses the standard AM3 mounting brackets? That is, no need to remove the stock plastic thing around the CPU?

Any ideas?

Thank you!

More about : heatsink am3

a c 138 à CPUs
a c 241 K Overclocking
January 17, 2011 12:30:46 AM

Noctua Nh-14
Tuniq 120 extreme (good for Oc and Non OC )
good for 1055 Spire Thermax Eclise II (I had this & very cold)
for more silent Scynte Kabuto

or see www.frostytech.com

mounting HSF after market use bracket bundle not from mobo.. cannot match & different design,

need good thermal paste : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 17, 2011 2:03:25 AM

teflon2287 said:
Hey guys,

I have a 1055T AM3 CPU that is running quite close (57 - 58 C) to it's thermal limit (of 62 C). This PC needs to be close to 100% load 24/7. It is not OCed, just too damn hot here!

What do you guys think is the best AM3 cooler with front to back (of case airflow) that uses the standard AM3 mounting brackets? That is, no need to remove the stock plastic thing around the CPU?

Any ideas?

Thank you!

I don't know about best, but Sunbeamtech Core Contact Freezer is great, old, cheap, and fits with front-to-back cooling on boards that have the clip on the top and bottom of the bracket.
January 17, 2011 3:31:18 AM

Crashman said:
I don't know about best, but Sunbeamtech Core Contact Freezer is great, old, cheap, and fits with front-to-back cooling on boards that have the clip on the top and bottom of the bracket.

Thanks. This one looks pretty good. But I can't find it for sale in my area (Australia)....

Do they still make it?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 17, 2011 4:17:37 AM

teflon2287 said:
Thanks. This one looks pretty good. But I can't find it for sale in my area (Australia)....

Do they still make it?

I thought they did?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 17, 2011 6:05:28 AM

Check Frostytech.com for the latest and greatest CPU coolers.
For AM3 you should look at the Hyper 212+, Thermaltake Frio, and the aforementioned Spire thermax. I use the Thermalright Ultra 120, The Venomous X is the latest version of that heatsink. Hopefully you can find one of these in your area.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 17, 2011 11:46:52 AM

teflon2287 said:

Guys... i believe OP wants push pin mount...
m
l
a c 102 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 17, 2011 11:50:04 AM

Sorry I need to learn to read, I recommend the TX3 then
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 17, 2011 1:04:39 PM

abully said:

I don't think you'll find a push/pull using the stock AMD bracket.
The weight of even a smaller unit wouldn't be supported by the single clip. Since your temps. are up close to 70c, I'd recommend going thru the motions and install a good one.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 17, 2011 5:26:28 PM

abully said:
He wants AMD clip-on style, with the clips on the sides instead of the front and back.

Edit: Xigmatek also does cross-flow for AMD see the charts:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cpu-cooler-heatsink...

Edit 2: This is the kind of mount he would prefer, but he's not finding this cooler in his country:
m
l
January 17, 2011 7:06:50 PM

@Crashman: Yeah, that is exactly what I want.

@jockey: I have a Coolermaster HAF932 case, and it has the cutout on the MB tray, but it doesn't match up with the CPU socket's location, I guess it is designed for Intel sockets or something. I Really really don't wanna remove the MB from the tower....

Thanks abully!
I had been looking at a CoolerMaster Hyper TX3 and Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro (Rev. 2), but the reviews I found for them never compared them to the stock 125W AMD cooler... I know they are not the best coolers around, but are they better than the stock one? And if so, by how much?

Thank you all!
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 17, 2011 7:20:01 PM

teflon2287 said:
@Crashman: Yeah, that is exactly what I want.

@jockey: I have a Coolermaster HAF932 case, and it has the cutout on the MB tray, but it doesn't match up with the CPU socket's location, I guess it is designed for Intel sockets or something. I Really really don't wanna remove the MB from the tower....

Thanks abully!
I had been looking at a CoolerMaster Hyper TX3 and Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro (Rev. 2), but the reviews I found for them never compared them to the stock 125W AMD cooler... I know they are not the best coolers around, but are they better than the stock one? And if so, by how much?

Thank you all!

I consider the Arctic freezer 7 a cut above the oem heatsink but not by much. I have easily found better solutions, although I hear good things about the latest revision. Still, what can you expect from a $20(US) cooler.
I think you'll do better with the TX3.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 17, 2011 7:50:43 PM

buzznut said:
I consider the Arctic freezer 7 a cut above the oem heatsink but not by much. I have easily found better solutions, although I hear good things about the latest revision. Still, what can you expect from a $20(US) cooler.
I think you'll do better with the TX3.
A/C Freezer 7 Pro Rev. 2 fits the "wrong way" but I think the TX3 might have a bracket that can be taken apart and inserted between the heat pipes to fit the "right way".
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 17, 2011 9:17:29 PM

As a note: My Scout cases mobo tray cutout doesn't line up centered with the CPU socket either, but the mounting holes are all accessable. I simply had to ease the backplate in, line it up and insert the HSF bolts thru the mounting holes. Wasn't an issue when all was done. If your mounting holes are visible from a straight view thru the back of the tray, you'll be fine.
I realize and understand what you are looking for, but I don't believe you'll find anything worthwhile to bring your temps down to a decent level.
m
l
January 18, 2011 1:01:09 AM

@ Crashman: I see that you are correct... Looks like the TX3 can mount the correct way. My question now, is a TX3 gonna work better than the stock AMD cooler (the stock cooler has some kinda heatpipe design, but still top down of course.

@ jockey I had a look at the cutout on the HAF932, you cannot access the mounting holes, the cutout is too far off the CPU socket.

Does anyone know (if I do take the MB out) if the CM Hyper 212+ blows front to back on an AMD board?

Thanks
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 18, 2011 3:12:49 AM

teflon2287 said:
@ Crashman: I see that you are correct... Looks like the TX3 can mount the correct way. My question now, is a TX3 gonna work better than the stock AMD cooler (the stock cooler has some kinda heatpipe design, but still top down of course.

@ jockey I had a look at the cutout on the HAF932, you cannot access the mounting holes, the cutout is too far off the CPU socket.

Does anyone know (if I do take the MB out) if the CM Hyper 212+ blows front to back on an AMD board?

Thanks
Yes
m
l
a c 102 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 18, 2011 8:10:55 AM

You can fit both the TX3 and the 212+ whatever way up you want.
m
l
January 18, 2011 2:11:51 PM

buzznut said:
They're still selling the core contact at newegg:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

There is a 120mm version as well, but I'd still rather have the Hyper 212+. :D 

I have the sunbeamtech 120MM CCF on that exact cpu. Mine is OC to 4G on stock voltage. It's 16.99 after rebate from newegg. Dropped my CPU 18-20 degrees celsius. About 40 after prime 95 for a few hours. I did polish the base but not necessary.

I would put that cooler polished against ANY air cooler.

m
l
January 19, 2011 7:55:43 PM

Thank you for all the help guys.

I love the sound of the sunbeamtech 120MM CCF, but it looks like they don't sell them in Australia.

I think I will have to follow the general recommendation here and get a more expensive cooler that means I will have to take the MB out. The reviews of the cheaper clip on ones all seem to indicate marginal improvements in temps, if any improvement at all....

Or maybe I will forget it, I'm 5 deg. C off the maximum temp of the CPU, but right now, it is the hottest time of year here. It was hitting 57 on days with the outside temp in the 40 to 45 deg. C range...

Once again, thank you all!
m
l
January 19, 2011 7:56:33 PM

Best answer selected by teflon2287.
m
l
!