Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Gaming
  • Cases
  • Components
Last response: in Components
July 23, 2009 10:31:55 AM

Hey all - Nate from CustomPCMAX here,

Here is mod project I am working on. This is going to be a massive gaming PC using some of the highest quality parts. Along with that, we are going to be modding the case (a SilverStone TJ10B-W) with some custom paint work.

Here is a stock photo of the case:

The SilverStone TJ10B-W was chosen for this build because of the sheer quality of the case. It is made of sturdy aluminum and has a design that promotes good airflow. The structure of the case is architecturally very sound as well. This is the type of case that you keep your whole life. Everything about the case is made of quality material, no junk plastic or anything. Which is why we thought it was a perfect fit for a 'monster' gaming PC and a worthy candidate for some custom artwork.

The paint work is going to be done by Bill Owen at MNPCTech. The case will be dismantled and there will be an application automotive high gloss enamel paint as base color, then airbrush artwork the right side panel and the front door. The interior chasis is going to be painted a shade of blue that will match to the artwork going on the side panel. Final step will be to clear coat the entire case.

Here is the artwork for the right side panel:

For the front panel. Obviously, it is a different size, so elements from this pic will be used on the front door.

FYI: This is the window version of the TJ10 we are using.

Now, you ask... what about the guts to this thing? Well, here is the current plans for it.

System:
1 Intel Core i7-975 Extreme Edition Bloomfield 3.33GHz Quad-Core
1 EVGA E760 CLASSIFIED Intel X58 EATX Intel Motherboard
2 CORSAIR Dominator GT 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3 2000 Desktop Memory (12 Gig total)
2 EVGA GeForce GTX 285 Superclocked Edition 2GB 512-bit DDR3
2 Western Digital Black 1 Terabyte 7400 RPM SATA Hard Drive
2 OCZ Summit 2.5" 120GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid state disk
1 LITE-ON Black 4X Blu-ray Burner Model
1 PC Power & Cooling 1200W Power Supply
1 AuzenTech Auzen X-Fi Prelude 7.1 Channels 24-bit 192KHz Sound Card

Accessories:
2 Grow Up Japan Inc. - Smart Drive Hard Disk Drive Enclosure Silencer
1 Prolimatech Megahalems CPU Heatsink + Tuniq TX2 Thermal Compound
2 Noiseblocker NB-Multiframe 120mmx25mm Ultra Silent PWM Fan + Clips
5 Noiseblocker NB-Multiframe 120mmx25mm Ultra Silent Fan - For Case

As we move forward with this, I will post some pics and specs of the above parts. But, as you can see this is not going to be a slouch in the performance department. We fully intend to do some OCing of that CPU as well, hopefully getting something around 4 Ghz stable.

More about : project monster gaming rig custompcmax

July 23, 2009 11:06:01 AM

No dissrespect but that case isn't great, as far as looks are concerned anyway. The guts sound good. Why have you chosen that particular artwork? I dont like it, i think that kind of artwork looks dated. Why not just have a simply designed peice of artwork instead?
July 23, 2009 11:08:29 AM

an i7 975 build without Water Cooling or Triple SLI GTX 285's?
Related resources
July 23, 2009 2:38:49 PM

Very true, if money is being thrown at this rig then these would be a must.
July 30, 2009 3:50:43 PM

tobensg said:
No dissrespect but that case isn't great, as far as looks are concerned anyway. The guts sound good. Why have you chosen that particular artwork? I dont like it, i think that kind of artwork looks dated. Why not just have a simply designed peice of artwork instead?

Because the build wasn't ordered by you.

A mural will be airbrushed over the front of the bezel, so the Silverstone badge will be removed and smoothed over with filler.

You can pry off the badge with a micro flat head screw driver, I use masking tape to avoid scratching the surface

I use Evercoat's Everglass "short strand" fiberglass filler mixed with included blue cream hardener to fill in the badge location. After an hour, I sand the surface smooth with 300 grit with 3M brand automotive sand paper.

mer?
August 7, 2009 6:45:10 PM

The tj10 case gets a Hi-Gloss Black Automotive base coat before the artwork is airbrushed on the panels and bezel.

August 7, 2009 10:19:52 PM

Just A quick question, I've seen some of your work here and it's good, just wondering on how much you charge for the custom case design (not including the hardware, which I assume you also charge for).
Guessing around 600$?
Also do you build any of the cases from the ground up, maybe using the mobo tray and back panel from an old computer, or not?
August 8, 2009 12:20:27 PM

A customized case from us typically starts at twice the amount you quoted. We only customize existing cases.

for hardware, you'll need to talk to CustomPCMax :) 

Brad drew out the stencil that will be used when airbrushing the front bezel of the t10

August 8, 2009 5:49:41 PM

Holy Smokes, I would totally order one of your cases once I'm Done upgrading my PC, how do you guys take your orders?, I mean do the people who order from you guys tell you what to put where? or do you send a blue print of what your planning to put on the case first?
August 10, 2009 10:09:48 PM

Thanks for the comments everybody! The stencil for the bezel door and right side panel are finished.

August 11, 2009 10:52:42 PM

Airbrushing the front bezel

Flesh tones
August 12, 2009 7:49:46 PM

Airbrushing more details on the front bezel door of the Silverstone tj10

August 13, 2009 10:54:26 PM

The front bezel door of the Silverstone tj10 is finished

August 14, 2009 12:21:02 PM

Started assembly of the chassis yesterday. All of the silver aluminum and steel parts were painted Ford Blue.

August 14, 2009 11:31:36 PM

working on the right side panel artwork

August 15, 2009 1:53:23 AM

This is freaking awesome! Looking forward to seeing more of this!
August 15, 2009 7:00:38 AM

Is this an advertisement?
August 15, 2009 8:52:56 AM

Great work, beautiful paint job.
August 17, 2009 3:19:19 PM

Thank you for the comments!

Nate ordered 5x 120mm Noise Blockers for the Silverstone tj10 chassis

These fans are 1250 rpm, 51 cfm @ 19dBA. Voltage range is 4.5 to 13.8.

Bearing life at 140,000 hours with 6 year warranty!

I love the vibration dampening corner design
August 18, 2009 12:35:09 PM

Artwork progress for the right side panel

August 19, 2009 12:11:03 AM

We're adding more to the artwork on the front bezel

August 21, 2009 12:17:14 AM

Side panel artwork finished before clear

Front bezel finished
August 22, 2009 1:10:22 AM

bezel is attached.... yummm.

August 24, 2009 12:42:27 PM

The case is finished. Nate (CustomPCMax) has started the system installation. A 1200W PCP&C psu will powering this baby, so a lot of "cable-gami" and other various cable management / sleeving on the work order.

Nate inspects the EVGA E760 CLASSIFIED Intel X58 EATX Intel Motherboard

August 24, 2009 1:50:45 PM

O.o someone has deep wallets

Btw do you guys ever done something like this (different artwork obviously) for a CM Haf 932? I would love to see how something that is so holely and windowy (two new words or I still can't spell?) can be modified into some sort of art work, esp consider its design origin is for max airflow.

August 24, 2009 4:53:28 PM

Nice work guys, I look forward to more updates, especially for the internals.
a b ) Power supply
August 24, 2009 7:20:24 PM

natepcman said:
Hey all - Nate from CustomPCMAX here,

Here is mod project I am working on. This is going to be a massive gaming PC using some of the highest quality parts. Along with that, we are going to be modding the case (a SilverStone TJ10B-W) with some custom paint work.

Here is a stock photo of the case:
http://i556.photobucket.com/albums/ss3/CustomPCMAX/Silverstonetj10custompcmaxmnpctech5.jpg

The SilverStone TJ10B-W was chosen for this build because of the sheer quality of the case. It is made of sturdy aluminum and has a design that promotes good airflow. The structure of the case is architecturally very sound as well. This is the type of case that you keep your whole life. Everything about the case is made of quality material, no junk plastic or anything. Which is why we thought it was a perfect fit for a 'monster' gaming PC and a worthy candidate for some custom artwork.

The paint work is going to be done by Bill Owen at MNPCTech. The case will be dismantled and there will be an application automotive high gloss enamel paint as base color, then airbrush artwork the right side panel and the front door. The interior chasis is going to be painted a shade of blue that will match to the artwork going on the side panel. Final step will be to clear coat the entire case.

Here is the artwork for the right side panel:
http://i556.photobucket.com/albums/ss3/CustomPCMAX/DigitalArtLeftSide.jpg

For the front panel. Obviously, it is a different size, so elements from this pic will be used on the front door.
http://i556.photobucket.com/albums/ss3/CustomPCMAX/Custompcmaxmnpctechartworkfortj10.jpg

FYI: This is the window version of the TJ10 we are using.

Now, you ask... what about the guts to this thing? Well, here is the current plans for it.

System:
1 Intel Core i7-975 Extreme Edition Bloomfield 3.33GHz Quad-Core
1 EVGA E760 CLASSIFIED Intel X58 EATX Intel Motherboard
2 CORSAIR Dominator GT 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3 2000 Desktop Memory (12 Gig total)
2 EVGA GeForce GTX 285 Superclocked Edition 2GB 512-bit DDR3
2 Western Digital Black 1 Terabyte 7400 RPM SATA Hard Drive
2 OCZ Summit 2.5" 120GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid state disk
1 LITE-ON Black 4X Blu-ray Burner Model
1 PC Power & Cooling 1200W Power Supply
1 AuzenTech Auzen X-Fi Prelude 7.1 Channels 24-bit 192KHz Sound Card

Accessories:
2 Grow Up Japan Inc. - Smart Drive Hard Disk Drive Enclosure Silencer
1 Prolimatech Megahalems CPU Heatsink + Tuniq TX2 Thermal Compound
2 Noiseblocker NB-Multiframe 120mmx25mm Ultra Silent PWM Fan + Clips
5 Noiseblocker NB-Multiframe 120mmx25mm Ultra Silent Fan - For Case

As we move forward with this, I will post some pics and specs of the above parts. But, as you can see this is not going to be a slouch in the performance department. We fully intend to do some OCing of that CPU as well, hopefully getting something around 4 Ghz stable.

-Well...this system is not weak, but it is by no means even close to being a monster...
-If it were a monster:::
-then it would have triple SLI superclocked GTX285's and not just one
-It would have either a fast 15k high density hard drive or a fast Solid state drive in raid 0, not a single solid state and a slow hard drive with no raid 0 or anything.
-IT would have micron ram, not some crappy cheap corsair ram.
a b ) Power supply
August 24, 2009 9:45:54 PM

Art work,etc looks good, but imo, this should be WCed AND OCed. 2xGTX295's are fine too. Tri/Quad SLI is just for show off.

At any rate, I'm NOT the one PAYING for this, so the specs are NOT MY problem or any one elses for that matter

Also realize, MM,etc gives WHAT THE CUSTOMER WANTS. Not WHAT THEY want.
August 25, 2009 1:20:20 PM

Well they did put quotation marks around monster...

The specs are fine, much more expensive than what I'm willing to throw at a rig that is, but not the absolute best money can bur.. i mean buy

way more than what I have atm, but with the sept 10 date that close I have to wonder if some QFed 5870s (or w/e) gona make short work of that soon (too much praying god dammit, they need to release this *** before I become a praying man)
August 25, 2009 2:05:47 PM

We can do whatever you want lancer :) 

@ shadow, you are 100% correct :) 

Nate installs the system tray

Sleeving cables

CORSAIR Dominator GT 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3 2000 Desktop Memory (12 Gig total)
August 25, 2009 4:08:49 PM

sweet lol, when I have the cash to spare, definitely gonna get some of that customized casing, they look kickass and my current HAF 932 is just a drab to look at.

I would still do the internals and Ocing tho, even if i knew you guys do a fine job with it, too much a geek for that rofl
August 28, 2009 4:41:58 PM

Thanks for the comments holylancer!

August 28, 2009 5:13:25 PM

Only because it is super expensive and has a $1000 CPU doesn't mean it's the best. You are spending $1000 on a CPU that will be the same as 920 when overclocked when you can get quad SLI GTX295 that would utterly destroy 2 285's. Overall this is a bit unexperienced and rushing. Say good bye to $1000, and the next moment you see new tech and punch yourself in the face when both I7 920 and 975 will be garbage. People should spend money smarter, no matter how much they have. Even if I was a millionaire I wouldn't buy overpriced components.
August 28, 2009 5:14:18 PM

Sorry if I was a bit rude, but this is too much money spending needlessly. But heck, if you don't care, it is one monster of a rig ;) 
August 28, 2009 5:42:46 PM

Maybe the person ordering it doesn't want to OC?
August 28, 2009 5:55:12 PM

You don't buy a CPU with an unlocked multi not to overclock.
August 28, 2009 7:24:42 PM

We are overclocking it. The customer is asking to get atleast 4.0 Ghz, but I have a feeling I am going to be able to get it even higher. Testing will be tonight and tomorrow, hopefully some good results by the end of the weekend.

The other thing to consider is that this build is going to be way more stable than some cheaper motherboard with an i7 920 screaming away with a maxed out FSB. Yes, we could achieve a good OC with that, but it isn't always as easy… or as easy to maintain.

4 GPUs is a whole different set of issues too, from driver issues to cooling. The two GPUs was what the customer felt they need in this rig. Personally, I think that is even overkill… and I am a gamer (albiet I have a much smaller personal budget on my rigs).
August 28, 2009 10:08:00 PM

To cryslar, you could if you just wanted the fastest stock CPU possible, and it happens to be an unlocked multi CPU

to nate-good point on it being more stable even with the same OC (you will as you said likely get it higher).

PS: man that must be hard not having one of these sick computers that you build all day, it's even hard to not have one and talk about them.

a b ) Power supply
August 28, 2009 11:39:48 PM

Cryslayer80 said:
Only because it is super expensive and has a $1000 CPU doesn't mean it's the best. You are spending $1000 on a CPU that will be the same as 920 when overclocked when you can get quad SLI GTX295 that would utterly destroy 2 285's. Overall this is a bit unexperienced and rushing. Say good bye to $1000, and the next moment you see new tech and punch yourself in the face when both I7 920 and 975 will be garbage. People should spend money smarter, no matter how much they have. Even if I was a millionaire I wouldn't buy overpriced components.

WHY ARE YOU Complaining AT MM? HE'S JUST THE MODDER! He's NOT paying for this stuff so it's not his problem. And unless you are psychic you don't know if the BUYER of this rig is going to OC more,etc or not!
August 29, 2009 12:12:21 AM

tkgclimb said:
To cryslar, you could if you just wanted the fastest stock CPU possible, and it happens to be an unlocked multi CPU

to nate-good point on it being more stable even with the same OC (you will as you said likely get it higher).

PS: man that must be hard not having one of these sick computers that you build all day, it's even hard to not have one and talk about them.

Yes, it is tough getting to play with these types of rigs only to have to ship them off to someone else. But, at least I get to play for a little while ;)  .

August 29, 2009 4:26:32 AM

^NICE
August 29, 2009 5:00:15 AM

Cryslayer80 said:
You don't buy a CPU with an unlocked multi not to overclock.

No, we don't. But many people do.
September 1, 2009 9:18:56 PM

look, some people have the money to burn and the desire for things I cannot imagine.

think about this, if I was making 100k+ each year, with no family to support, and have got no free time, I would most likely ask these guys to build it,

personally, i would want some raid5 Intel SSD in conjunction with SAS 2.0 15k/10k for storage drives and some nice art work for it...
September 5, 2009 10:07:22 PM

Awesome, Thanks for posting that!
November 15, 2009 1:21:02 AM

Just wondering what kind of paints did you use for the case and medium for the art.
!