Viewsonic vs NEC..which?

hartski

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2002
I'm looking to buy a 19" CRT monitor wether it be shadow mask or apperture grille. I do prefer shadow mask to do away with the 2 damper wires. The monitor will be mainly used for games, web, intermediate graphics work.

I have two models in mind which fits my budget. Both are shadow mask.

Viewsonic G90F
NEC FE990

I'd like to know which one is better or how those two compare? I particularly want brighter and crisp display because I hate blurry outputs or having to focus jsut to view stuff in yuor monitor. Which one gives the best geometry too? Will an NEC991 be a good upgrade from those 2?

I alsoam confused about the dot pitch that both those models have. the NEC FE990 has a 0.24-0.28 diagonal mask pitch while the G90F has 0.25 diagonal pitch. Does this mean the G90F is better and flatter?

GoSharks

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
From the dot pitch point of view they are the same. Recently manufacturers have begun quoting the “mask pitch.” The “mask” or “grille” sits approximately a half an inch from the glass tube. Because the mask is closer to the electron gun than the glass (where the phosphor is painted), the mask pitch is always slightly smaller than the phosphor pitch the industry has traditionally used. This means that a 0.24mm mask pitch is equal to a 0.25mm phosphor pitch. The 0.28 is the diagonal measurement, which really doesn’t tell you much.

Jim Witkowski
Chief Hardware Engineer
MonitorsDirect.com

<A HREF="http://www.monitorsdirect.com" target="_new">MonitorsDirect.com</A>

hartski

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2002
Thanks for the explanation. How about when they refer to the pitch in 2 places, the center and the edge? At viewsonic they sometimes refer some of their products to have 0.25mm pitch at center and 0.27mm at edge but still call those monitors flat. Are the real flat monitors only apperture grille (Trinitron + Diamondtron) and have 0.24mm pitch on the entire surface (center and edge)?

Do you have any preference when it comes to choosing Viewsonic's G90F and NEC's FE990?

GoSharks

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Some CRT’s have a variable dot pitch where it is tighter in the center than it is on the sides. This allows the electron beam to accommodate the wide sweep of the screen by varying its length from the center to the edges with no loss in brightness or color accuracy, however they do sacrifice some text sharpness on the sides.

Most CRT's today have a uniform dot pitch.

Jim Witkowski
Chief Hardware Engineer
MonitorsDirect.com

<A HREF="http://www.monitorsdirect.com" target="_new">MonitorsDirect.com</A>

TRENDING THREADS