Suggestion for ambivalent TV watcher

Last response: in Home Theatre
February 1, 2005 4:40:45 AM

Hello,

My dilemma is this: I don't care about the vast majority of stuff on TV; all
the stuff that is popular in popular culture I have no interest in; I don't
watch sports except maybe a handful of days in any calendar year.

There are a few channels that I like: Discovery, History, CNN, Turner
Classic Movies, Bravo, CSPAN and CSPAN Book TV. As far as I'm concerned,
ESPN, E!, MTV, VH1, HBO, CMT and most of the rest can go hang.

I want the simplest, cheapest kind of cable or satellite service - I really
don't want to even pay $20/month.

Is there a service out there that can accommodate my goal?

(I am in Dallas, TX.)

Thanks,
Be
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 12:36:20 PM

Be wrote:
> Hello,
>
> My dilemma is this: I don't care about the vast majority of stuff on TV; all
> the stuff that is popular in popular culture I have no interest in; I don't
> watch sports except maybe a handful of days in any calendar year.
>
> There are a few channels that I like: Discovery, History, CNN, Turner
> Classic Movies, Bravo, CSPAN and CSPAN Book TV. As far as I'm concerned,
> ESPN, E!, MTV, VH1, HBO, CMT and most of the rest can go hang.
>
> I want the simplest, cheapest kind of cable or satellite service - I really
> don't want to even pay $20/month.
>
> Is there a service out there that can accommodate my goal?
>
> (I am in Dallas, TX.)
>
> Thanks,
> Be

Honestly? A limited basic cable connection ($11 from Cox in my area)
will get you CSPAN (though not Discovery, History, or CNN) and a Netflix
subscription will get you most of the classic movies that you want.
Unfortunately for you popular culture is what pays these days, so that's
what most of the services concentrate on.

Randy S.
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 2:15:26 AM

"Be" <n3wsr3ad3r_@_sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> My dilemma is this: I don't care about the vast majority of stuff on TV;
> There are a few channels that I like: Discovery, History, CNN, Turner
> Classic Movies, Bravo, CSPAN and CSPAN Book TV. As far as I'm concerned,
> ESPN, E!, MTV, VH1, HBO, CMT and most of the rest can go hang.
>
> I want the simplest, cheapest kind of cable or satellite service - I
really
> don't want to even pay $20/month.
>
> Is there a service out there that can accommodate my goal?

If you have the equipment; big dish, receiver and descrambler, I would
recommend the NPS starter pak. That will give you about half of the
channels you want for under $15 a month. If you like Sci Fi, USA, TBS, WGN
and The Learning Channel, you may find it acceptable.
!