No administrator account in XP

My brother was trying to set up accounts for his kids and accidentally changed the administrator account to a common user account, which left the only other account on the machine as a user with a password no one can remember. Can use system restore because he does not have permissions as a common user. Anyone know of any way to get the admin account back without having to use the restore CD that came with his computer?

Thanks in advance.

JimS

"JimS" <jimsham2000@yahoo.com> wrote:

>My brother was trying to set up accounts for his kids and accidentally changed the administrator account to a common user account, which left the only other account on the machine as a user with a password no one can remember. Can use system restore because he does not have permissions as a common user. Anyone know of any way to get the admin account back without having to use the restore CD that came with his computer?

If this affects the admin account that has been created during the
Windows Setup: log on as the "Administrator". This account is
available in the Safe Mode only if you run the Home Edition.
If this account does not work as well, you have to reinstall Windows.
"A Description of the Safe Boot Mode Options in Windows XP"
(http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315222)

--
(tm)