Sign in with
Your question

Dell Laptops and SSD's

Last response: in Storage
November 27, 2010 9:41:07 AM

Anyone have any experience trying to get an ssd into a Dell Inspirion laptop?

My model is a Inspirion 1420 running Vista.

I'm a little worried about physically getting the drive to fit - I've heard that some 2.5 drives are too thick.

Also, I'm not looking to spend the $ to upgrade to Win 7 on this machine so I'll have to make do with Vista.

Anyway, if anyone has tried an ssd in in Inspirion laptop, I'd love to hear from you about it.

Thanks

More about : dell laptops ssd

November 27, 2010 3:47:54 PM

I would say if the fit of an ssd is a worry, post the exact model of your current hdd(you should be able to get this from "device manager"), or take it out and measure it with a ruler. Either way knowing the exact model hdd you should then be able to look up the dimension specs from the hdd manufacturer and then from there choose an appropriate size ssd. Pulling the service manual reveals very little bout the model you have.
m
l
November 27, 2010 4:53:47 PM

srbarry said:
Anyone have any experience trying to get an ssd into a Dell Inspirion laptop?

My model is a Inspirion 1420 running Vista.

I'm a little worried about physically getting the drive to fit - I've heard that some 2.5 drives are too thick.

Also, I'm not looking to spend the $ to upgrade to Win 7 on this machine so I'll have to make do with Vista.

Anyway, if anyone has tried an ssd in in Inspirion laptop, I'd love to hear from you about it.

Thanks

Sure, but thickness is hard to measure exactly.

I'd like to hear from someone who has actually fit a specific model ssd into an inspiron, that would be comforting. Also, getting one that fits is the easy part - getting it to work with this brand laptop and with Vista is the real question.

Thanks,
m
l
Related resources
!