Win XP SP3 Causing High CPU usage, Slow Boot, Slow Performance

Deepstar

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2011
Can anyone please help? Is there a fix for this:

I do a clean install of windows about every 6 months or so...just to keep my system fast and clean.

Problems arose today when doing windows update to SP3.

Install Disc is Win XP SP2.
Nothing installed yet.
No drivers installed except for Lan adapter.

as soon as sp3 is updated. It becomes a big paperweight.
I thought I had a bad install so I reformatted again NTFS Full as I usually do.
And started over. install disc w/SP2 right away is Screamin fast as the day I built the machine.
As soon as SP3 updates from Windows Update.....Slow & sluggish.

Running intel P4 3.2 Ghz w/HT, 2 Gig ram.
XFX Radeon HD 4650 AGP 1GB

Task Manager shows 13 processes running
CPU Usage shows one of two virtual CPU at solid 100% pegged.

Is Microsoft Messing with us? SP3 was installing fine before, But I can't explain this behavior.

Please Help

Deepstar

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2011
Ok I have still no solution, But thru different Forums some people are mentioning something about problems with the ATI Radeon AGP cards not playing nice with the system. Something about HDMI audio over AGP having issues. Apparently there is no fix that I can find. ATI Driver site has something called HOTFIX driver but that doesn't work to fix this. THANK YOU ATI for really testing this stuff out.

I have found that if I disable the "Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio...my CPU Usage goes down to 0%.
However I have no idea if it's a good idea to mess with this. Anyways, It's always re-enabled when I reboot.

I HATE AMD/ATI right now. Spent good money on Tech that doesn't work.

Does anyone have a clear solution for this issue?

Cyberat_88

Distinguished
I have a Radeon HD 3850 AGP and no CPU issue. Try disabling video rom cache in bios.
No palette snooping or no video snooping setting in bios, disable it.
How did you MS UAA Bus Driver ? In hardware manager ? Now that you know the driver is faulty, try replacing it with the AMD/ATI one. Find a newer one.
AMD/ATI still outshines the hyped up nVidia in gaming, far as I see.

antonsachs

Reputable
Jun 8, 2015

antonsachs

Reputable
Jun 8, 2015
Clean install every 6 mo. is a waste of time. How long does it take you to reinstall all the programs you use? How long to restore their settings? I have 876 programs that I actively use.
Do a horrible MS Backup/Restore, or better yet ViceVersa backup, or better yet, partition copy using Paragon, or similar program. For the last two you need a separate partition from which to run it.

I have no problem with XPSP3 on 3 of my computers, but I installed it from all service pack slipstreamed into the primary XP. CD.

I do have problem on ONE of my systems running Server 2003 R2 SP2 - it takes over 10 min to drop the extra CPU usage to 0. Luckily I do a reboot less then once a month.
Two ALMOST identical Server 2003 R2 SP2 systems on the same machine do not exhibit the problem, so it's definitely software.

Good luck

Metavoid

Reputable
Nov 23, 2015
This is NOT a solution,

I just want to point out that SP3 for WinXP IS bugged somehow .. Its clear that MS did this on purpose. And I can understand why.

BUT

WinXP is such a fine OS, never go to waste .. SO

The only real thing that we need to know is what components for runtime library's is AFFECTED by SP3 ....
(I am NOT saying runtime libs slow down the PC)

My guess would be the following, what I am unsure of is the extent of new runtime libs following SP2 and SP3 (you will have to know the entire patch historic like i do from sp0 to sp3) .......

Visual Runtime 200x --> 2010?
Java
Flash (yes these components is not MS, but you will have to understand MS virtual machine of OLD) (see win98)

registry change info goes from 200 to 300 (sp2 to sp3) lying to windows - look it up on google ..

and this is the flying that I totally overlooked;
MS Explorer:
remember to update explorer to what 6, 7, 8? I don't know .... ... I have not been this far yet .. lol

doing these steps (well its not complete, but we are so close .....!)
will actually let you use SP2 as if it was SP3 .... tada ... lol
its a lot of work, but it CAN work ....

For instance I am running diablo 3 in SP2 here in 2015 .... I remember I heard the MS techies mention that there was no REAL improvements in SP3 vs SP2 during SP3 launch back in the day .... seems they were right ..... but it is so HARD to get around SP3 and make it work .... sigh ....
I look forward to doing future Linux ..... Win8 and Win10 sux much haha! ;)

Best of luck
Fallen