Sign in with
Your question

Weird hard disc problem

Last response: in Storage
November 27, 2010 12:42:20 PM

Hello,

I have a weird problem, ordered some new computer parts; cpu, mb, ram and a samsung 1tb f3, I already have one of these drives.

After installing all into a case, i boot up to only find 1 hd found, and it's the new one. It doesnt matter where i plug in the old one, which sata port, which power cable, it is never found, infact I can hear it never even turns on/spins up.

I thought possibly in the moving and vacuum cleaning I damaged my old drive but, if I plug it back into my old motherboard sitting on the table it finds it and works fine. How and why on earth, would this new motherboard happily find my new and empty and identical hard disc, but not the old one, even if I were to plug the old one into exactly the same wires as the new one?
November 27, 2010 12:59:03 PM

Ok, a little more fiddling and if i have them both plugged in with just the power cable, i can hear they both switch on and can feel they are identically spinning.

Hit the power off button. Plug the sata cable in each.

Turn on and again, the new one spins up, the old one is dead as a dodo.

I then try turning off with only the power cable in the disc, hear it spin up, then plug in the sata cable (dont know if i should do this but screw it) and it stays spinning, the the bios finds it.

What, the, hell.
a b G Storage
November 28, 2010 7:53:39 AM

Take it one at a time. Plug in the old HDD with the power cable and sata cable and go to the BIOS it should be detected. If this drive doesn't spin when you turn on the PC check the power cable and do it again.
November 28, 2010 2:47:01 PM

No no, that's the point it wont detect it if the sata cable is plugged in, the disk wont even power up (doesnt make a sound or vibrate a little to the touch), it does however if the sata data cable is not plugged in.

Sata cable in = no disk initialising. I got arround it by using one of the Gsata ports (Gigabyte's own sata controller), and since then the issues actually been addressed in a topic above, apparently the SB850 doesn't inititalise some f3 drives or something.

Link: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/261659-14-samsung-s... and more importantly: http://www.samsung.com/global/business/hdd/faqView.do?b...
!