Bent Pins

Is there any way to save an AMD CPU that has bent pins? I was putting the processor in but first looked at the pins and noticed that some of the pins on the outer edge are bent.
15 answers Last reply
More about bent pins
  1. bend them back. dont break them.
  2. How would you suggest I do that? I do not have the most nimble of fingers. :p
  3. ever so carfully bend them back and hope they dont brake off.
  4. i usualy use the blunt side of a knife.
  5. needle nose pliers should do the trick.
  6. I did it to my s939 when dis mounting a SI-120, it was stuck on it and the SI-120 had a idiotic mounting system that applies more pressure to one side than the other if not careful....

luckily, I bent the pins back with needle nose pliers after 2 hours of work (since all the pins on one side of the damned thing was bent) and it works till this day

tbh, had i not fixed it then i would have gotten a A64 X2 for s939 or a cheap operteron 165 or 170, and that would have been nice since I cant find those parts now lol
  7. Thanks for the tips.

But now I found out that my Phenom II X4 940 wont work on my MA-GA770-UD3P :cry:

I have to get a new processor!! :cry:
  8. a mechanical pencil is the best way to straighten bent pins.
  9. It seems it would be cheaper to replace the mb and return the other one.

Best MB for the Phenom II X4 940 under $100?

NM If I keep the 940, then I cant use the MB and memory. It'd be cheaper to replace processor, i think
  10. ZGundam64 said:
    Thanks for the tips.

But now I found out that my Phenom II X4 940 wont work on my MA-GA770-UD3P :cry:

I have to get a new processor!! :cry:

How come it won't work? Is it because the bent pins? I'm getting the same motherboard and processor. :o
  11. Yeah,mechanical pencil is the best way, but use the smallest possible size pencil 0.5mm.. and a very thin plastic ruler to check for pin alignments..I just fixed one of my Athlon X2 5000 using those things.. be careful!
  12. josh7331 said:
    How come it won't work? Is it because the bent pins? I'm getting the same motherboard and processor. :o

I found out that the 940 is NOT an AMD processor and it will not fit onto a GA-MA770-UD3P motherboard. Hence I had to get a GA-MA770-UD3.

Well everything is together and i will loading the OS now. Wish me luck! :)
  13. josh7331 said:

Sorry. I meant am AMD3 processor.

Well, problem solved. I was able to get the pins put back where they belonged without breaking them.

Also, I returned the 6GB DD3 memory I bought and traded it in for 8GB DDR2 memory, same price. :D I then bought the MB so now I have top return the other one to NewEgg.

Finished building it and started it up and it's smooth running! :D
  14. congratz.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs AMD Processors