System Specs:
Phenom II x3 710 stock air
GA-MA780G-UD3H Mobo
4GB OCZ Gold 1066
XFX 4870x2
Seasonic 650w PSU
XP x64
BenQ E2200HD 22" 1920x1080

Google searches have proven ineffectual, so I thought I would put it up here and see if anyone has any insight. I have been experiencing a strange phenomenon (no pun intended) with my PII x3 710 since shortly after completing the build: During use of my computer, whether it be gaming, surfing, encoding or benchmarking, I will occasionally experience severe slowdown (once every few sessions). Opening task manager shows that windows is only seeing ONE core running, as if I only have a single core CPU. This can happen 10mins to 5 hours after boot up, with no discernible pattern in that regard.

-Temperatures are not the culprit, as even running on a single core, I don't see more than 40c under load (25/38 is normal idle/load temps, 30/45 @3.1)
-This has been happening consistently before and after OC of the CPU. Returning to stock clocks made no difference in the frequency, though I am leaving it stock until I can figure this out.
-This has been happening consistently before and after my new video card (upraded to 4870x2 from 4870 512)
-I reinstalled XP 64-bit twice in the past 3 months, most recently 2 weeks ago, and it has had no effect on the frequency of this issue.
-Mobo doesn't support ACC, so that is neither the culprit, nor a possible fix :(
A reboot is required to get Task Manager to see all 3 cores again.

It isn't a major issue, as it doesn't happen everyday and is easy enough to fix, but am concerned that is might be a symptom of a larger issue. I am planning on upgrading the CPU in the next few months to a PII x4 955/965 BE, but want to identify the issue before I put in a more expensive processor. Any help would be appreciated. Have a great day and thanks for any input you might be able to provide!

JofaMang

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009
Sorry, forgot to mention that I had tried disabling Cool & Quiet a while ago to no success.

Also I had updated to bios F2 back in may, but I must have done it right before they released F3A (CPU ID for AM3 processors HAH) since they were released 10 days apart. I am going to do that right now, and hopefully that will fix this.

Thanks dudes, will report back If i can go a week without dropping to a single core.