drinkingcola86

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2008
So i'm looking to Overclock my 9850 to something beyond the 2.7ghz. What i've seen is i need to manually set my ram timings and then manually set the over clock from the bios.

The only thing that i can't figure out is the timings for my patriot ram.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220314

I have an ASUS motherboard

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131291

So if there is anyone that has any suggestions on how i can get more out of this chip with out having to buy a new one that would be great.

Yes, set the multiplier to 15X. That should get 3.0 Ghz fairly easily. You will need to increase voltage to 1.4V if I remember correctly.

I was able to OC that chip to 3.15Ghz, fell just short of 3.2 on air. But to get above 3.0 I had to increase the voltage to 1.45V, you really should not go above 1.45.

That is high performance memory so you should ensure that the voltage is set to 2.1V for the ram in the BIOS.

drinkingcola86

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2008
So i went through and did what that guide suggested and i'm still not able to get more than just a 2.7ghz out of it. had it set at 15x multiplier and the 1.4v then i blue screened during the load and stepped it down a multiplier and well it didn't want to overclock. however at 2.9ghz i was able to get into windows and see the voltage that was being sent to it. the 1.4v in the bios was only showing at 1.392 in cpuz. does this matter?

No its within tolerance.

Have you downloaded AMD overdrive? It may help you dial in the settings you need for a max overclock.

To increase from 2.7Ghz may need just a little more bump in core voltage. This is not an exact science and one chip will vary from others. Its possible that you have a chip that just doesn't want to overclock much, but my experience with others has shown that 3.0 is very attainable for most.

At first I would not adjust the reference clock, simply see what voltage is needed to achieve stability at each multiplier increase. Use the built in stress test in AOD to check for stability. When you have used AMD overdrive to get the best clock frequencies, then return to the bios, lock in your settings and I would keep AOD from startup at boot. BIOS overclocking=more reliability and stability.

Yeah, that's a bit high. I never ran mine over 50C. If you aren't worried about burning the chip up, then you can keep it there. But I find 50C is high enough for any of my CPU's at full load.

This really isn't a good overclocking chip, and water cooling is sorta wasted on it. In addition, every chip is different so as they say your mileage may vary. I just don't think you'll get more from this CPU. You'll get much better yields from Phenom II.