My phenom II x2 555 automatically unlocked to a AMD Phenom(tm) II X4

anotherera

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2011
I didnt do anything, it happened by itself, why?

Computer specs...

Asrock 880G Extreme3
Fractal Design Integra 500W
1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ
AMD Phenom2 X2 555 3,2GHz BlackEdition
Corsair 4GB (2x2GB) Value Select DDR3 1333MHz
xfx radeon hd5770

It is my first attempt putting a computer together and it started up only a brief bsod. Then, I had to work on a project and didnt really get to play around with it until today. So I go and look at the system information and it says that what was previously a phenom II x2 555be was now a AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 B55 Processor.

I didnt touch the unlocker or anything else. All I did was run OCCT and Prime95 and they didnt report any errors. I quickly ran it again after seeing the news and have attached results along with the readings from the asrock mobo control center thingymajig.

oh and I dont know if it would help but here is the copy of my system information

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate
Version 6.1.7600 Build 7600
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Manufacturer To Be Filled By O.E.M.
System Model To Be Filled By O.E.M.
System Type x64-based PC
Processor AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 B55 Processor, 3200 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. P1.70, 2010-06-21
SMBIOS Version 2.6
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale Sverige
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7600.16385"

Time Zone Pacific Daylight Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4,00 GB
Total Physical Memory 4,00 GB
Available Physical Memory 2,40 GB
Total Virtual Memory 8,00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 5,42 GB
Page File Space 4,00 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Oh, and my windows 7 quick launch area is bugging out becoming inflated like a balloon.

Yes, core unlocking must be set to auto in BIOS. Setting it back should clear up some instability.
Its possible that the CPU could have 3 cores stable, and just have a bad forth core. (Which could be core 2,3, or 4)

green300

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
If there was any chance you might have touched thee "X" key during boot up it would activate the "Turbo UCC" function.

If you say you've run OCCT and Prime with no errors, congrats on the x4 unlock ! (be sure to run stress software for at least 2 hrs.) Max safe temp according to amd is 70c, but it may start getting flaky around 55c

http://products.amd.com/en-us/DesktopCPUDetail.aspx?id=624&f1=&f2=&f3=&f4=&f5=&f6=&f7=&f8=&f9=&f10=&f11=&f12=

jockey

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
Asrock uses what they call UCC in the bios (unlock cpu cores). Make sure it's disabled.
I just had Asrocks' website open, so I reopened and downloaded the pdf manual for you.
It is savable, and handy. Info you want starts in section 3.3.
Note:The 555 BE as an X2 can't be beat, in my opinion. (I have one and a 550 BE)
The only time I open it to an X4 is to run Rise Of Flight, which is a quad friendly sim.
I run at 3.5ghz and have had it up to 4.0 as an X2 and 3.9 as an X4 without voltage increases.

Whenb you say no voltage increase you must mean you left it on auto there is no way you could get those clocks close to stable on stock voltage

anotherera

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2011
I ran prime95 for 10 hours and came back with no errors. It seemed that the temp stayed around 60 for the test.

After the test I went into the bios and double checked everything. Just like I thought, I had not activated ANYTHING to make it unlock to the x4. I did activate the ucc when i was in the bios this time though since it is already unlocked in the first place...

here are some pics from the asrock oc tuner and from some of the reports from OCCT

http://imgur.com/XaYXk

Between prime95 and OCCT passing without errors should I feel comfortable? I am just worried because this is my first built pc and anything odd that happens worries me.

here are some bios pics
http://picasaweb.google.com/116969706490566744887/Computer

anotherera

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2011
and what are warning temps? also I have heard that once it is unlocked the temp readings can get unreliable. Right now, according to AMD Overdrive the temps are 0 while asrock oc tuner says the cpu temp is 48 and the mobo is 44. I am only running chrome atm.

jockey

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010

Yes, left on auto.

anotherera

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2011
according to asrock oc tuner I am running at 1.35 which i increased from 1.3. However, the first time i made that same increase it went back down to 1.3 the next time I checked.

jockey

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010

It's locked at specified 1.4v for that CPU. So that means I did get the higher clocks at that voltage. I don't like to wear my components out with stress tests, but I did run AMD Overdrives' test for 30 minutes, and all of my programs/ graphics ran fine at high settings. Settled on 3.5ghz as a quad, that's all I need.

jockey

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010

Nice to see an Asrock board doing well. Most are using Asus or Gigabytes for these CPUs.
Have fun with it.

anotherera

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2011
But how do I know, when using amd overdrive, if the results are good? I dont know how to read any of it other than the colors red and green the words error or pass. I would love it if someone could tell me what to look for in my results. I feel like I am going around in circles, people saying I am fine but without any indication of why I am fine.

green300

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010

If you passed 10 hrs. of prime on "blend" your solid, good to go. If there where any real problems with your rig it would either blue screen or restart within a few minutes. If you did have any problems it would possibly be because of the temps getting up over 60c. Prime, occt and the like totally load your system, more so than any normal use will ever stress a system.....

Just keep an eye on temps and start smiling :)

congrats again