S.M.A.R.T problem

G

My Hard Disk is running very slowly and has much reallocations(no ******* idea what it is) Now smart says that i should backup and replace(i don't have 40$ for a new hard disk) Here is a HD Tune Pro diagnostic to better let you understand.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

A reallocation occurs whenever a sector goes bad. If your drive can't read a particular LBA (logical block address), then the corresponding physical sector is taken out of service by the drive and transparently replaced by a good spare, ie a spare sector is "reallocated" to the faulty LBA. This is done transparently by the drive's MCU, with the OS being unaware of it. SMART keeps track of the reallocations and triggers a SMART failure if the number of bad sectors increases beyond a certain threshold. In your case the threshold has already been exceeded. HD Tune is telling you that your drive now has 4126 bads. Typically the threshold is reached at 2000 or so bads.

Furthermore, attribute BD is indicating 177 High Fly Writes. I don't know how serious this is, though.

This article explains the meanings of each attribute:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T.

G

The reallocated sectors isn't highering in numbers very fast pc was whole night on and now reached 4129

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
The reallocated sectors isn't highering in numbers very fast pc was whole night on and now reached 4129
Dude, wtf yourself??? These guys just told you, your hard drive is trashed, failing, bad sectors, comprende? Backup your junk before it's to late. It doesn't matter if you have or don't have the cash your drive is going. Doing a full scan, will sometimes push your drive over the edge and end trashing your boot sector and then all your stuff is gone and your drive is toast, it doesn't matter how fast your rig is, it's the drive thats bad....

You're lucky so far - reallocated sectors mean that the drive hasn't actually lost the data yet. But if that number is still increasing then you're living on borrowed time.

Whether you can afford it or not, that drive is likely done for. Grab a copy of your data while you still can.

G

:/ damn... then i should cancel my Cataclysm payment to buy a hard drive... thanks anyway